by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Loser's Town Question #7 ~ Terry McGuinn

Unread postby Liz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:10 pm

I agree with Gemini’s spoiler too.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:46 pm

I, too, thought he was great--a vivid, flawed but likeable character--
Spoiler! :
and was really sorry when he left us. I saw it coming a few pages in advance, and kept thinking, "No, no, please find a way out!" :-/

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:40 pm

I had the very same thought, fansmom.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:45 pm

I liked Terry. Daniel did a great job of making Terry come across as a lovable Irish character like Barry Fitzgerald...albeit a significantly more dangerous Fitzgerald. Terry knew how to play off of the other characters' perceptions of him. The Lord of the Rings angle just make it even better.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:18 am

I also liked Terry a lot. I tried hard to focus on tuning out the Irish stereotype though, even though Terry himself played up to it.
BTW I don't know how to use the spoiler mechanism. can someone explain lpease?
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:23 am

Suec, just punch Spoiler from the list of fonts, etc. and put your spoiler between the bracketed Spoilers. (First time I did it, I didn't get it between, and my spoiler was out for all to see for a few seconds till corrected. :blush: )
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:09 pm

Thanks for helping suec with that Betty Sue. The Spoiler button is a wonderful invention. When we get towards the end of the discussion, though, we won't be using it anymore.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:49 pm

Thanks Betty Sue!

Clearly my observation skills are somewhat lacking...
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

magpie

Unread postby magpie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:42 pm

stroch wrote:I absolutely agree
Spoiler! :
that Terry should have been kept around.
he and Spandau made a great team, with Terry supplying the charm and outgoing wit that the more reserved Spandau sorely needed.

He was my favorite character also, I I fond myself looking for him to appear when the focus was elsewhere. Daniel did a great job fleshing out his vivid character----he was the most interesting person in the book.

I agree, stroch, I was always ready for Terry's next appearance. He was by far the most interesting character for me--he certainly knew how to escape a 'sticky' situation!
Spoiler! :
I was terribly disappointed that he won't be in the upcoming books.
I'm having a thought here. . . .
. . if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.
--C.S. Lewis

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Sun May 03, 2009 10:02 am

Re the second half of the question, I'm intrigued here...it seems Terry got more consensus than Spandau. Yet he was something of a rogue and did not exactly have a gallant approach to women, to say the least. Whilst I enjoyed the parts of the book that featured Terry, I must say that I didn't particularly like him but I guess the fact that a lot of readers found him likeable is proof of the fact that Daniel got it right (leading me to the first part of the question) in his protrayal of the Irish rogue, likeable despite some of his less endearing features!

But don't get me wrong, although I didn't particularly like him
Spoiler! :
I was still sorry to see him go as I too think he was the perfect side-kick to Spandau
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun May 03, 2009 2:18 pm

Peachy wrote:Whilst I enjoyed the parts of the book that featured Terry, I must say that I didn't particularly like him but I guess the fact that a lot of readers found him likeable is proof of the fact that Daniel got it right (leading me to the first part of the question) in his protrayal of the Irish rogue, likeable despite some of his less endearing features!

I guess you could say that I liked him inspite of himself. He was a hard one to resist. And I guess that spells good writing.

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Sun May 03, 2009 2:33 pm

Liz wrote
I guess you could say that I liked him inspite of himself. He was a hard one to resist. And I guess that spells good writing.

I agree Liz ...and if the book ever made it to film it would be a challenge for a good actor to make the rogue likeable inspite of himself...we've seen a few of those, haven't we!
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun May 03, 2009 2:42 pm

Peachy wrote:Liz wrote

I agree Liz ...and if the book ever made it to film it would be a challenge for a good actor to make the rogue likeable inspite of himself...we've seen a few of those, haven't we!

That we have. ;-) I can't wait to get into the casting question. :bounce: Look for that question later this week.

Return to “Loser's Town”