Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:56 am

I have driven on, or sat on depending on the time of day, all my life. Houston's freeways can be a nightmare even when everyone is going in different directions and LA as well. And heaven forbid you throw in a little rain! :yikes: I have to agree about LA freeways and the signage. I have missed more than one exit because it was poorly marked or once because they had taken the sign completely down because of roadwork. And those guys on the motorcycles, they scare me to death!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 163136
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:02 pm

gemini wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:Nightmare!

I love your pic Theresa .

As Sue says above we don't have such big roads the ones we do have can be pretty nightmarish themselves at times but on a much smaller scale :lol:

The interchange looks fun, not! how about this one of ours

That interesection looks pretty big to me. It is just strange to think of driving from the left side of the road instead of the right. I have driven veheicles with the steering wheel on the right like your cars but cant imagine even then changing the side of the road to drive on. Wonder who has the most accidents? Somehow I think its us.


This might help to work it out

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

Unread postby Liz » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:55 pm

T, I was really glad to read that there was a reason the traffic was so heavy in that pic.

Shadowydog, I follow most of those rules—especially the ones involving keeping an eye on traffic ahead. I have driven the freeways of Silicon Valley and the East Bay for many years. These areas are not without their traffic jams. LA just brings it up another notch. It must be because of Db. :razz:

Iron Jenny, :welcome: to ONBC. I guess our training in CA has been good for us, eh?




Gilbert's Girl wrote:Nightmare!

I love your pic Theresa .

As Sue says above we don't have such big roads the ones we do have can be pretty nightmarish themselves at times but on a much smaller scale :lol:

The interchange looks fun, not! how about this one of ours

That one makes me think of a rollercoaster, GG. And at least the Slavic countries have us beat.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
dharma_bum
Posts: 2509
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:05 am
Location: Villa Incognito

Status: Offline

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

Unread postby dharma_bum » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:08 pm

Iron Jenny wrote:
I've been driving in LA my entire adult life and truth be told... I'm probably one of the reasons you've learned to drive defensively.


Hysterical!! So you're the culprit!! Turn your blinker off already would ya!!
You've been making a right turn for 3 miles already!! ROFL ROFL

Deb

Blinker, what blinker? Why would I want the likes of you to know my intentions? You might actually speed up up so I couldn't squeeze in right in front of you.

Just kidding. But I do make use of all 4 to 5 lanes of the 405 on my daily commute.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

Jennak
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: Following that Horizon

Status: Offline

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

Unread postby Jennak » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:36 pm

In Toronto, if you leave a car length in front of you, someone pulls into it and cuts you off. So...if you then drop back, the same thing happens again. Toronto has got to be the "cut off" capital. :-O

User avatar
shadowydog
Posts: 89520
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:47 pm

Status: Offline

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

Unread postby shadowydog » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:39 pm

Jennak wrote:In Toronto, if you leave a car length in front of you, someone pulls into it and cuts you off. So...if you then drop back, the same thing happens again. Toronto has got to be the "cut off" capital. :-O


Same thing happens in LA. I decided long ago, that letting cars cut in only added a couple of minutes to the commute and keeping a safe distance saved a lot of time by avoiding accidents.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

User avatar
gemini
Posts: 3907
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:28 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Status: Offline

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

Unread postby gemini » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:12 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
gemini wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:Nightmare!

I love your pic Theresa .

As Sue says above we don't have such big roads the ones we do have can be pretty nightmarish themselves at times but on a much smaller scale :lol:

The interchange looks fun, not! how about this one of ours

That interesection looks pretty big to me. It is just strange to think of driving from the left side of the road instead of the right. I have driven veheicles with the steering wheel on the right like your cars but cant imagine even then changing the side of the road to drive on. Wonder who has the most accidents? Somehow I think its us.


This might help to work it out

Somtimes its not so fun being correct about your own countries shortcomings. This country has a lot of crazy drivers and they all aren't in LA. I have the same outlook on driving expressways as Potts in the book.
In Potts's opinion, you had to be an idiot or a maniac to enjoy driving in Los Angeles.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:22 pm

I remember an old joke but can't remember the comedian who said it. He said he got a ticket for driving in reverse trying to keep a car length between him and the car in front of him. :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Depp's Pearl
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Near Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.

Status: Offline

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

Unread postby Depp's Pearl » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:31 pm

~SB wrote:
Angelenos are not affected by these inconveniences because they know their way around—or they have GPS.


:lol: I had to laugh, Liz. The last time we were in LA, we made sure to get a rental car with a GPS system. ;-) I had brought all of these maps with us. . .and we never used them and never got lost. It was great!. . .and probably the only way I'd ever consider driving in LA in the future. We did get caught in really bad traffic on the freeway one afternoon. It took us about an hour to go 10 miles. :yikes: I remember saying that when I got back to Texas, I'd never complain about traffic in the Dallas/Fort Worth area again. So far, I've kept my promise! :grin:

Thanks so much for all of the info! I'm really enjoying the tidbits! :smiliewithhearts:


I'm from Chicago, and our expressways are pretty exciting, driving in downtown Chicago is exhilarating and Lake Shore Drive is awesome. I am not a sissy driver, in fact--I'm rather aggressive, and I love to drive.
Dallas/Fort Worth--scarey. Mapquest directions from the airport to our hotel included making a U-turn on a highway--I couldn't believe it--the speed limit was 80 miles per hour! Excellent roadways there, though. We have horrible potholes here, especially this time of year, so defensive driving takes on a whole new meaning.
"For this I bless you most: You give much and know not that you give at all." -Kahlil Gibran

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

Unread postby Liz » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:48 pm

depps pearl wrote:
~SB wrote:
Angelenos are not affected by these inconveniences because they know their way around—or they have GPS.


:lol: I had to laugh, Liz. The last time we were in LA, we made sure to get a rental car with a GPS system. ;-) I had brought all of these maps with us. . .and we never used them and never got lost. It was great!. . .and probably the only way I'd ever consider driving in LA in the future. We did get caught in really bad traffic on the freeway one afternoon. It took us about an hour to go 10 miles. :yikes: I remember saying that when I got back to Texas, I'd never complain about traffic in the Dallas/Fort Worth area again. So far, I've kept my promise! :grin:

Thanks so much for all of the info! I'm really enjoying the tidbits! :smiliewithhearts:


I'm from Chicago, and our expressways are pretty exciting, driving in downtown Chicago is exhilarating and Lake Shore Drive is awesome. I am not a sissy driver, in fact--I'm rather aggressive, and I love to drive.
Dallas/Fort Worth--scarey. Mapquest directions from the airport to our hotel included making a U-turn on a highway--I couldn't believe it--the speed limit was 80 miles per hour! Excellent roadways there, though. We have horrible potholes here, especially this time of year, so defensive driving takes on a whole new meaning.

~SB, I realized when I saw your post quoted here by depps pearl, that I forgot to respond to it. What I was going to say was that it never occurred to me to request GPS when renting a car. But I imagine it costs a pretty penny. And I usually drive my own car to LA. My son got a GPS for Christmas and we all used it when we drove down to San Diego last Christmas Break. I was amazed at what it could do and even more amazed when I researched GPS for my Parallel Worlds tidbit on the subject.

Depps pearl, I have never been to Chicago, but the pictures I’ve seen of Shore Line Drive make me want to drive it some day.

I’m glad to see both of you joining us here in the tidbit discussion. I hope we will see you for the discussion of the book.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
Depp's Pearl
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Near Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.

Status: Offline

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

Unread postby Depp's Pearl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:09 am

Thanks for welcoming me, Liz. I've not participated in any of the book discussions before. I hope I'll be able to keep up. This looks very intense!
I have to buy the book as soon as possible--or suffer the consequences of driving on an LA freeway, with white knuckles all the way!
Tomorrow is payday--yay! :yahoo:
"For this I bless you most: You give much and know not that you give at all." -Kahlil Gibran

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:33 am

depps pearl wrote:Thanks for welcoming me, Liz. I've not participated in any of the book discussions before. I hope I'll be able to keep up.

Sure you will. :cool: Get that book soon.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
~SB
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:47 pm
Location: The Lone Star State

Status: Offline

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

Unread postby ~SB » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:51 am

~SB, I realized when I saw your post quoted here by depps pearl, that I forgot to respond to it. What I was going to say was that it never occurred to me to request GPS when renting a car. But I imagine it costs a pretty penny. And I usually drive my own car to LA. My son got a GPS for Christmas and we all used it when we drove down to San Diego last Christmas Break. I was amazed at what it could do and even more amazed when I researched GPS for my Parallel Worlds tidbit on the subject.


Surprisingly, it didn't cost all that much more. I absolutely fell in love with it, and I finally got a system of my own this past Christmas. It is amazing what it can do and the places it has listed that you can find. I'm sure mine is no different than others in that you can connect it to the internet and update its capabilities. I do have a friend, though, who is freaked out by GPS. She was with me in LA and every time we got in the car, she would say, "You know, someone is tracking every place we're going." I told her that as long as we weren't getting lost, I didn't care. :lol:
~SB

"Sometimes even the simplest of moments can leave a morsel that leads to something later on down the road."

User avatar
Gilbert's Girl
Posts: 163136
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:14 am
Location: UK

Status: Offline

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:02 am

Using a GPS in this country can often lead you somewhere you'd rather not go, like a river

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #2 ~ LA Freeways

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:47 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Using a GPS in this country can often lead you somewhere you'd rather not go, like a river


:-O That would be scary! I haven't used them but my husband has when he travels. I know sometimes they do not have the most updated information.

depps pearl, you have plenty of time to get your book and read it before the discussion starts. I hope you will join us! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!


Return to “Loser's Town”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests