Loser's Town Tidbit #1 ~ The Dedication & Epigraph Page

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

ladylinn

Re: Loser's Town Tidbit #1 ~ The Dedication

Unread postby ladylinn » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Liz - when you had your conversations with Daniel, was there any mention of why the quotes from Mitchum and Friedman were used? Just curious!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:47 pm

I am glad I checked the zone today because I just received my book, since I was procrastinating a bit on the price. I thought I had a couple days before the tidbits start and would have missed out.

I always wondered where Johnny and Danny came up with the Scaramanga brothers but figured it had to do with James Bond because it was a big deal with guys in those days. I watched John Frusciantes "stuff", having run across it on Youtube and seeing Johnny's name. I think those were his wild days.

I guess I am sheltered and obviously not a westerner because this is the first I heard of Kinky Friedman. What a character.

Wow Robert Mitchum one of my first heartthrobs. I kept waiting for the mention of ThunderRoad and I see FANtasticJD mentioned it. That is the movie that always comes to mind when I think of Mitchum. He was such a good-looking bad boy. His two sons are ringers.

I never heard calypso but I always loved hearing him sing Thunder Road.
His Calypso song sounds like the later song "If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life never make a pretty woman your wife ". I remember Johnny speaking highly of him when he did Dead Man. I always thought Robert Mitchum was one of those guys that were "movie stars", before they became actors.
Great tidbit
Last edited by gemini on Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:15 pm

ladylinn wrote:Liz - when you had your conversations with Daniel, was there any mention of why the quotes from Mitchum and Friedman were used? Just curious!

Ladylinn, I’m paraphrasing here, but he sees Spandau as a Robert Mitchum type. I don’t want to go too much into this because it will most likely be the subject of a discussion question.

And unfortunately, all I remember is a lot of laughing after he read it. :lol: I suspect that it was more about the meaning behind the quote than about Kinky.

Gemini, I'm glad you checked the Zone. Of course, as you can see, today's tidbit is not up yet. But I'm working on it.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

~SB

Unread postby ~SB » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:35 pm

I love Kinky Friedman! He''s the original Texas Jewboy! :lol: It's so great that Daniel is aware of who he is and that he used one Kinky's quotes to introduce his first novel. Kinky reminds me of Hunter in his irreverence towards prevalent social attitudes and customs. I have one of his posters from his run for Texas governor hanging in my classroom. :grin:

I own Kinky Friedman's Guide to Texas Etiquette: Or How to Get to Heaven or Hell Without Going Through Dallas-Fort Worth, which I think is hysterical. Much of his writing centers around Texas and its quirks and culture. An enjoyable travelogue. . .even if you aren't coming to Texas. . .is The Great Psychedelic Armadillo Picnic: A "Walk" in Austin and I also like Ten Little New Yorkers: A Novel.

If I ever met Daniel, I'd definitely have to talk to him about Kinky!
~SB

"Sometimes even the simplest of moments can leave a morsel that leads to something later on down the road."

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:17 am

Seems the Scaramanga Bros produced more than Stuff. While promoting WEGG Johnny talked about collaborating with "Danny" on a script in several interviews saying that they were already shopping it around to the studios. One description made the plot sound like a cross between Religilous and Good Omens. I wonder what happened to it and if either one of them has had the temptation (bad pun) to revisit it in recent years.
"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:33 am

dharma_bum wrote:Seems the Scaramanga Bros produced more than Stuff. While promoting WEGG Johnny talked about collaborating with "Danny" on a script in several interviews saying that they were already shopping it around to the studios. One description made the plot sound like a cross between Religilous and Good Omens. I wonder what happened to it and if either one of them has had the temptation (bad pun) to revisit it in recent years.

I would love to read some of their scripts.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:01 am

suec, thanks for the correct terminology. I knew there had to be a proper name for it! :cool:

~SB, they just don't come much more original than Kinky! I have seen the book on etiquette too but I'm still not sure it's possible to get to Heaven Or Hell without going through DFW. :lol: The grandfather of a friend of mine from Lubbock used to say that when he died and went to hell he would have to change planes at DFW.
:lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Loser's Town”