A reminder of Daniel Depp's appearances & a Zoner report

by Daniel Depp

Moderator: Liz

Mrs Pink

Re: Just a reminder of Daniel Depps forthcoming appearances

Unread postby Mrs Pink » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:05 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Mrs. Pink, will you be able to go to the festival to hear Daniel?

Sorry I didn't see your post before now. No I won't make it I generally live overseas now.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed - Hunter S Thompson

historicalpassion1

Re: A reminder of Daniel Depp's appearances & a Zoner report

Unread postby historicalpassion1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:13 pm

Thanks suec, for sharing!! Wow!! A one-on-one conversation with Daniel Depp! That's wonderful! I love how honest he is. He mentions going through a period of depression and being cranky about his book being made into a movie. I like honest answers. Those Depp men are fine folks!
"That's Impossible." - Alice
"Only if you believe it is." - Mad Hatter
"Don't stop believing. Hold on to that feeling" ~June 20, 2009~

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:51 am

shadowydog wrote:I wonder what screenplays he and Johnny wrote. Did he mention anything about them?

Yes, he talked about Johnny again in conversation and how supportive he had been, and said again that they had written several screenplays together, so I asked him about them. He said 2 short films. A screenplay that was never made into a film. He may also have said one that hasn't been filmed yet. However, I am not sure about that. I'm sorry about that because it is a key point but the conversation was quite quickfire at at times. But if it so, time will tell, I guess.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:40 am

historicalpassion1 wrote:Thanks suec, for sharing!! Wow!! A one-on-one conversation with Daniel Depp! That's wonderful! I love how honest he is. He mentions going through a period of depression and being cranky about his book being made into a movie. I like honest answers. Those Depp men are fine folks!

Well, I think I'm still a little bemused by it. I don't know what I expected, but certainly not what happened. Once I knew that books signings happened automatically after each session, I knew I'd be able to get my book signed and say a few words, ask a question or two. But seeing him in the bar was a bonus and the one-to-one fantastic. I was loitering waiting for an opportune moment to join in the little group he was with, then someone announced that the Big Sleep discussion had been relocated elsewhere and everyone started to move out, except Danie,l who asked what was happening. I answered, then followed with a question and there we were. But not a one-to-one for long; someone joined in then. Daniel was very pleasant and easy to talk to, very happy to discuss his book and so it was great. And of course, he was very forthcoming & open in some ways. Like asking the audience who had seen the movie to prove the point that hardly anyone had. That came up first. First question, and he gave the first answer.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:43 am

suec wrote:I'm adding something here because of having trouble altering the one above for some reason. He also about interpretations of his book and said, you start it, readers finish it. Which I think is pretty appropriate for this place. :grin:
I must also say, very simply, I liked him. A lot. I am very glad I went to meet him so thanks very much for the information.

Thanks so much for your report! :bounce:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:06 pm

Our intrepid Zone reporter strikes again! :press: Another fantastic report from the field, suec! :applause2: I know it's hard when you are trying to write things down and listen to the next question at the same time and you did a great job. That is an interesting bit about Raphael and the other two scripts. I can see that writing a screenplay of your own book would be difficult. Books contain so much more story, character, etc. I would think it could be very frustrating but at the same time you have control over the bits that make it in.

Thanks again, suec!
:cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:08 pm

Nothing new really but I just saw this on the Edinburgh Festival site

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:38 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Nothing new really but I just saw this on the Edinburgh Festival site

"You-Know-Who", eh? :lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:08 am

A Brief report from Edinburgh online about Daniel's appearence at the festival

Edinburgh Book Festival: Daniel Depp

By Per Fischer - Posted on 17 August 2009

Daniel Depp is on a European tour to promote his debut novel Loser’s Town, a detective crime novel set in sun scorched Los Angeles.

Unexpectedly, the Hollywood stardust sprinkling from Mr Depp was not enough to fill the Scottish Power Studio Theatre in Charlotte Square Gardens. After all, Depp is a Hollywood insider, having written the screenplay for the Palme D’Or nominated film The Brave (1997), directed by and starring Johnny Depp, who also happens to be Daniel’s half-brother.

Just like his fictional creation David Spandau, former Hollywood stuntman now private eye, he’s a normal human being with a foot inside the Hollywood dream machine. Cue the themes for this author event at the first day of the 2009 Edinburgh Book Festival: Hollywood and detective fiction.

For starters, Depp looks nothing like his character Spandau. No Armani suit, no cowboy boots, just a plain old blue shirt, grey-white canvas trousers, glasses and an Iain Banks goatee. Truth is, Depp looks more like Iain Banks than Johnny Depp.

Loser’s Town is set in Hollywood, in the world of movie actors, and it’s a darkly comic depiction of the dark side of the Hollywood film industry.

Depp has no illusions about this industry, and summed up the life of a film star: “When you are at the top of your game they treat you like god. People give you things, you don’t have to spend any money. Women throw themselves at you, people tell you how brilliant and wonderful you are, and there’s vast, obscene amounts of money involved, you know? People think they want that and that’s the tragedy of it. There’s a horrible price to be paid for it. The system will kill you in the end.”

Depp’s two main inspirations are Raymond Chandler and Ingmar Bergman, while he acknowledges the brilliance of many other crime or detective fiction writers of the past and present.

Depp grew up reading hardboiled fiction, especially Hammett and Chandler. While Hammett’s characters seem to be working without a moral imperative, Chandler is very different. “Marlowe is like Lancelot,” Depp told the audience, “he’s looking for the holy grail. What’s the holy grail? Basically he’s looking for some kind of goodness in the heart of man. He never gives up on his central belief, and that is a central belief that Sam Spade in the Hammett novels never had.”

The Bergman inspiration comes not as much from his films, but from his writing about films. According to Bergman, films are, like magic tricks, merely creating an illusion. In effect, when film makers become very good at creating this illusion, they become very good liars. “Hollywood is a big machine for making pictures,” Depp said, “it’s a giant machine for telling lies.”

At the closing questions from the audience, one punter wanted to know why the novel is called Loser’s Town? The title came from a Robert Mitchum quote that is in the front of the book, where the actor described Los Angeles in thirties as a loser’s town attracting all sorts of people from the rest of the USA.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks for passing this along, GG. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:14 pm

Thanks to suec for your account of your conversation with Daniel Depp and to GG for that article, just great both. :cool:

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Return to “Loser's Town”