HAPPY 4th of JULY from ONBC and Happy Higgs Boson

by Michio Kaku

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

HAPPY 4th of JULY from ONBC and Happy Higgs Boson

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:55 pm

HAPPY 4th of July, Noodlemantras!

Here is something of possible interest to those Nooldemantras who joined us for the Parallel Worlds discussion.

It’s a fireworks of sorts and one worthy of major celebration for physicists. It seems that the elusive Higgs boson particle may have been found. Today it was announced that a new particle has been found which is “consistent with the Higgs boson.” And Professor Peter Higgs, could conceivably win a Nobel Prize for this.

Here’s a quote from Parallel Worlds on pg, 276. Speaking of the Large Hadron Collider, Chris Lllewellyn Smith, former director general of CERN says about the LHC:

“Physicists are sure that nature has new tricks up her sleeve that must be revealed in those collisions—perhaps an exotic particle known as the Higgs boson”

And on pg. 277:

As Smith mentioned earlier, one of the goals of the LHC is to find the elusive Higgs boson, which is the last piece of the Standard Model that has still eluded capture. It is important because this particle is responsible for spontaneous symmetry breaking in particle theories and gives rise to the masses of the quantum world.

And this is the news story from BBC today on the discovery which was made at the LHC in Geneva.

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: HAPPY 4th of JULY from ONBC

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:44 pm

And here is something from Michio Kaku (the author of said book that we discussed). I saw him on ABC Nightly News tonight and found this video of him from MSNBC:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Re: HAPPY 4th of JULY from ONBC and Happy Higgs Boson

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:40 pm

Happy Belated Fourth of July to all!

I sort of get what the new discovery is about but most of quantum physics still has me
:perplexed:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:55 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Happy Belated Fourth of July to all!

I sort of get what the new discovery is about but most of quantum physics still has me

That book was an amazing glimpse at stuff that is way beyond my grasp. :cool: Glad we read it, hope Johnny's reading list doesn't have many books like that, though.

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:56 pm

nebraska wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Happy Belated Fourth of July to all!

That book was an amazing glimpse at stuff that is way beyond my grasp. :cool: Glad we read it, hope Johnny's reading list doesn't have many books like that, though.

:lol: I remember when we were reading that ... I'd read a paragraph and go "yes! wow! I understand that! amazing!" then 10 minutes after I closed the book, I'd go ............ "what did I just read??????"
For about 2 seconds I could understand it ... after that .... clueless. But it was fun while it lasted! :spin:
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:35 pm

Kaku is really good at explaining it to the lay person. I was surprised that I could understand as much as I did.

Return to “Parallel Worlds”