PW Question #13 ~ Johnny & Parallel Worlds

by Michio Kaku

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

PW Question #13 ~ Johnny & Parallel Worlds

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:31 pm

From the IN Homepage:

“force is force...matter is matter...will is will...the infinite is the infinite...nothing is nothing” – Tolstoy

Are you surprised that Johnny would be reading this book?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Re: PW Question #13 ~ Johnny & Parallel Worlds

Unread postby gemini » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:40 pm

Nope! He is a guy and they want to know how everything works. :grin:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:09 pm

In the beginning I was surprised, it seemed like quite a departure from other books we have read here. But after I discovered how popular Dr. Kaku is, I realized how easily Johnny could have stumbled across the book and become intrigued with the ideas. He has a way of searching out unusual thoughts, and in that way PW kind of fits in with his quest to understand the great variety of life. (I hope he doesn't venture into such complicated science again any time soon :lol: )

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:51 pm

Me too, nebraska. :fear:

I guess I was surprised for a moment; but then I remembered that he seems to be interested in a wide variety of topics. While reading the book, I wondered if the book was research for Alice—wormholes and all. But that is probably a reach. Then one day I headed over to the IN site to see if there was anything new on it; and I noticed the above quote again and had sort of an aha moment. I think PW is more than just a scientific book. It is also philosophical in a way, which we will be getting into more tomorrow.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:27 pm

Good one, gemini! Maybe he can explain it to us! :lol:

nebraska, I sure hope he doesn't start reading math books on differential equations! :yikes:

I agree that he seems to have a lot of varied interests and just a general desire to learn about things in the world around us.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:50 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Good one, gemini! Maybe he can explain it to us! :lol:

nebraska, I sure hope he doesn't start reading math books on differential equations! :yikes:

I agree that he seems to have a lot of varied interests and just a general desire to learn about things in the world around us.

:hills:

audamay

Unread postby audamay » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:38 pm

I too am a Gemini and can relate to how much he needs to cram into his brain and like a sponge soaks it all up. There is always something around the next corner to try out and read, read, read. The saying "Bring me the next Horizon" is so true to this sign - however I am of the female side of this sign so not sure if the male sign is similar. (I somehow think it is) But whatever he does is great with me - he can do no wrong in my eyes. :goodvibes:
Dreams do come true -
29 June 2009 - 25 February 2010 - 12 May 2011 - then sealed with a kiss on 3 November 2011 then May 9th 2012

Quote "" you mean our grandchildren"

:paint: My Art Gallery

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:43 pm

audamay wrote:I too am a Gemini and can relate to how much he needs to cram into his brain and like a sponge soaks it all up. There is always something around the next corner to try out and read, read, read. The saying "Bring me the next Horizon" is so true to this sign - however I am of the female side of this sign so not sure if the male sign is similar. (I somehow think it is) But whatever he does is great with me - he can do no wrong in my eyes. :goodvibes:
I tend to agree with you but then I am also gemini and I think that inquisitiveness and interest in everything goes with male and females of the sign. But of course we are just as easily off to the next thing so we have hope that Johnny will go for something entirely different next time.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:14 pm

Welcome to ONBC audamay! We're glad you found us! :welcome:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:52 am

Audamay, :welcome: to the Zone and to ONBC. I couldn't help but notice that this was your very first post. Excellent! We look forward to more posts from you. :highfive:

audamay

Unread postby audamay » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:36 pm

Many thanks for the nice Welcome from you and I am happy to have found you also. :bouquet: I have soaked up all I can get of the fabulous man himself and his beautiful Vanessa and having lurked for a while found that I wanted to join you. I lost my hubby of 50 years a couple of years back and my friends on the internet have kept me alive as did watching all of Johnny's films - some of Vanessa's too I might add and love their music. I am a "young" old lady now and have a great family but there is always my dream time - so here I am. I thank you for noticing that it was my first post :worldhug: I am in a different time zone because I live in Manchester England so a little late in replying. PS - I have also learnt to paint now too and guess who my first subject was :lol:

"Bring me that Horizon"
Dreams do come true -
29 June 2009 - 25 February 2010 - 12 May 2011 - then sealed with a kiss on 3 November 2011 then May 9th 2012

Quote "" you mean our grandchildren"

:paint: My Art Gallery

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:57 pm

audamay wrote:Many thanks for the nice Welcome from you and I am happy to have found you also. :bouquet: I have soaked up all I can get of the fabulous man himself and his beautiful Vanessa and having lurked for a while found that I wanted to join you. I lost my hubby of 50 years a couple of years back and my friends on the internet have kept me alive as did watching all of Johnny's films - some of Vanessa's too I might add and love their music. I am a "young" old lady now and have a great family but there is always my dream time - so here I am. I thank you for noticing that it was my first post :worldhug: I am in a different time zone because I live in Manchester England so a little late in replying. PS - I have also learnt to paint now too and guess who my first subject was :lol:
"Bring me that Horizon"

You have come to the right place. Johnny keeps all of us ladies, young and old inspired. Welcome aboard! :cool:

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi Noodlemantras, :wave:

This is my first post on the ONBC, and I REALLY hope no one minds if I jump into the middle of the discussion without even having finished the book yet. (I'm only on chapter 4.) :sad: The ONBC was one of the main reasons I joined the zone, but I just can't seem to keep up. Work and life commitments seem to prevent me from finishing the books on time and keeping up w/ the discussions, but please know that I love reading through the very thoughtful threads after the fact, even if it's silently. For whatever reason though, I couldn't let this question go by without responding. I guess because I feel so strongly about it.

Surprised that he is reading this? No, not at all, and here's why. (Of course what follows is my own personal "Depp Theory", based solely on unscientific observations, which I open up to all of you for comment and criticism!) ;-)

Johnny has an insatiable curiosity about people and the world around him. In the Actor's Studio interview he was asked, Q: "Favorite word?", A: "Why". I really think the same questions burn in him that have taunted the poets, physicists, philosophers, cosmologists and theologians since the dawn of time: "Where did we come from?" "Where are we going?" And ultimately, "Why?" As further evidence, look at the people he's named as friends, influences, or interests: Jack Kerouac, Alan Ginsberg, John Lennon... not only great artists, but also each a bit of a philosopher in their own right. In one interview, someone said something about "being important". And his response was something along the lines of "Let's see... who is someone really important? Stephen Hawking". And at that moment I thought, yeah, I'm sure he's read "A Brief History of Time".

Add to that, the fact that Johnny has phenomenal powers of observation and analysis, and applies them extraordinarily well to his craft. Think accents: Donnie Brasco, Sweeney, Dillinger. Characters: Hunter, Sam (doing Keaton). Event the great Captain Jack had a lot of analysis behind him (sauna, hot = woozy, combine w/ Pepe LePeu and Keith Richards).

Observing, analyzing and continually asking why are the hallmarks of a great scientific mind. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if (ok, hold onto your hats here) Johnny’s soul had been born into a different family at a different time and place, he might have become a great scientist with an interest in art, as opposed to a great artist with an interest in science. In this "Parallel World", if you will, we could be reading about "Depp's Theory of Unification", or some such thing. :lol: Kinda fun to think about.

But anyway, back to the question - surprised, no. The only thing I'm surprised about is that we haven't caught him reading more of this kind of stuff before now. :grin: (Thanks for putting up w/ my long & late post.)

ps - I'm a gemini too. :goodvibes:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:35 pm

:wave: RamblinRebel.

You may have taken a while to post here, but it was well worth the wait. :hatsoff:

Welcome to ONBC.

You’ve made some great points there. I think this one about sums it up….

Johnny Depp, Actor's Studio wrote:Q: "Favorite word?", A: "Why"

Interesting quote about Hawking. :-O

And your idea of a parallel world is quite fun to contemplate. :cool:

I look forward to more posts from you, RamblinRebel.

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Thanks, Liz. You and DITHT really do a fantastic job with this forum!! I'm glad to have finally joined in.

After posting, I had to go and see if I could find the exact quote about Hawking. I confused the circumstances a bit. Johnny was actually talking about Marlon Brando being important, so I want to clarify it. For the curious, here is the quote from IMDB:

Marlon Brando is maybe the greatest actor of the last two centuries. But his mind is much more important than the acting thing. The way that he looks at things, doesn't judge things, the way that he assesses things. He's as important as, uh... who's important today? Jesus, not many people... Stephen Hawking!

Return to “Parallel Worlds”