PW Question #10 ~ Time Travel

by Michio Kaku

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

PW Question #10 ~ Time Travel

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:53 am

If you could travel in time, would you? Where would you go? Why?

How do you think we can avoid the time paradoxes?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Re: PW Question #10 ~ Time Travel

Unread postby gemini » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:06 pm

I rather liked the remark Steven Hawking made about time travelers and it made sense to me.
"If journeys through time were as common as Sunday picnics, then we should see tourists from the future gawking at us and taking pictures. "
I think avoiding the time paradoxes would be impossible because where poeple are concerned they can't be trusted. Curiosity killed the cat.
Where would you go? Why?
If we put aside all these paradoxes, I think going back in time to see some of these great people we have read about and would have loved to have known would be great. Going to the future requires a bit more daring because we have to assume that we will still be there.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Can I go to Paris in the 1920s with someone? :grin:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:11 pm

gemini, that comment by Hawking stood out for me too. You would think we would see these strangers to our world. Of course if they are coming back to something they know they could blend in. Wait, is that an X-Files show? :lol: Has anyone read The Time Traveler's Wife? I thought it was a very good good read. I'm trying to remember if they addressed the time paradoxes in that book.

fansmom, having just watched the PE trailer I'm on that bus back to the 20's myself! :gangster: :thud:

I'm not sure where I would go back to but I would love to meet some famous people that I have admired for a long time but I suppose you couldn't guarantee where you would be or who you would be around. I'm such a history buff that I can think of so many places I would like to experience.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:53 pm

fansmom wrote:Can I go to Paris in the 1920s with someone? :grin:

A thought just occurred to me when I was mentally agreeing with you about taking that certain someone back to Paris in the 20s. If we are so advanced that we can time travel, I want to go as a younger version of myself. :grin:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:05 pm

I am reminded of the Country song "I'm My Own Grandpa." Time travel might be ok is we traveled without knowing everything we know now and wouldn't be tempted to change history (if we traveled backwards). As fun as all of this sounds, I think I am better off right here.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 pm

gemini wrote:If we are so advanced that we can time travel, I want to go as a younger version of myself. :grin:
:applause2: Excellent plan!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:56 am

nebraska wrote:I am reminded of the Country song "I'm My Own Grandpa." Time travel might be ok is we traveled without knowing everything we know now and wouldn't be tempted to change history (if we traveled backwards). As fun as all of this sounds, I think I am better off right here.

I’d like to go back and change a few things in my life, but the paradoxes get in my way. I can’t figure out how to change those things I want to change without screwing up the many wonderful things I don’t want to touch. Luckily, I will probably not have to be faced with such a dilemma.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:00 am

gemini wrote:I rather liked the remark Steven Hawking made about time travelers and it made sense to me.
"If journeys through time were as common as Sunday picnics, then we should see tourists from the future gawking at us and taking pictures. "
I think avoiding the time paradoxes would be impossible because where poeple are concerned they can't be trusted. Curiosity killed the cat.
Where would you go? Why?
If we put aside all these paradoxes, I think going back in time to see some of these great people we have read about and would have loved to have known would be great. Going to the future requires a bit more daring because we have to assume that we will still be there.

It wasn't Schrodinger's cat, was it? :grin:

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:03 am

Theresa wrote:
gemini wrote:I rather liked the remark Steven Hawking made about time travelers and it made sense to me.
Where would you go? Why?

:rotflmao:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:18 am

dangerous very dangerous, time paradoxes now there is something I find difficult sometimes :lol:
I have read the Time Travellers Wife wonderful story can't recall if they did address that problem.
If you watch Lost there is another paradox going on there in that they say in that one that you can't change somthing that didn't happen already. A little different that the usual problems with time travel about being careful not to change anything in the past, but you need to have watched it maybe to know what they mean.
If I went back in time maybe to the 17th Century but only to experience it for myself wouldn't want to stay long.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:34 pm

Theresa wrote:
Where would you go? Why?

Actually his cat came to mind when I thought of the quote. :grin: See how much we are all now into this train of thought Kaku has given us.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:11 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote: If you watch Lost there is another paradox going on there in that they say in that one that you can't change somthing that didn't happen already. A little different that the usual problems with time travel about being careful not to change anything in the past, but you need to have watched it maybe to know what they mean.

I noticed that last night. I find it interesting that their focus this season is on the idea of time travel. :-O

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:14 pm

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:I am reminded of the Country song "I'm My Own Grandpa." Time travel might be ok is we traveled without knowing everything we know now and wouldn't be tempted to change history (if we traveled backwards). As fun as all of this sounds, I think I am better off right here.

I’d like to go back and change a few things in my life, but the paradoxes get in my way. I can’t figure out how to change those things I want to change without screwing up the many wonderful things I don’t want to touch. Luckily, I will probably not have to be faced with such a dilemma.

Liz, I have thought of that myself, the things in my life I wish I could change; and then I realize, I would take myself with me and I would probably do a similar version of the same mistakes.....maybe worse. Like you, I feel lucky that I won't have the chance to actually travel back in time....or see many of the other theoretical events from this book.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:37 am

I don't think I'd visit the future. I'm pretty much a here-and -now kind of girl and feel the future will find me fast enough as it is. As for the past, I'd like to see different civilisations. I'd like to see how fire was first created by man. That kind of thing. But then I would feel such an urge to meddle so I'm probably better not going there. I agree with you nebraska.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Return to “Parallel Worlds”