Liz
ONBC Moderator

PW Bonus Tidbit ~ Close Encounter

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:14 am

:-O :fear:

Asteroid passes close to Earth

By Alan Duke
CNN

(CNN) -- You had a close encounter with a 40-yard-wide asteroid this week, but the astronomer who first spotted the large rock said it's nothing to worry about.

An asteroid (inside circle) passed within 38,000 miles of Earth on Monday.

Asteroid 2009 DD45 on Monday passed within 38,000 miles of Earth, less than twice the height of the geostationary satellites we depend on for communications, according to Robert McNaught of the Australian National University.

McNaught, who watches for asteroids with his telescope 250 miles northwest of Sydney, Australia, discovered the approaching rock last week.
"It's not something to worry about, but something to be aware of," he said.
While a direct hit on Earth could be a devastating natural disaster, McNaught said keeping track of asteroids can make a hit "potentially preventable."

"If discovered in advance and with enough lead time, there is the possibility of pushing it off course, if you have decades of advance warning," McNaught said. "If you have only a few days, you can evacuate the area of impact, but there's not a great deal [else] you can do."

In either case, he said, a global catastrophe as depicted in Hollywood movies such as "Deep Impact" is "very, very unlikely."

The 2009 DD45 asteroid circles the sun every 18 months, but its path will not threaten this planet at least for the next century, he said.

The number of "potentially harmful asteroids" discovered each year has grown dramatically over the past decade as "systematic programs" to scan the skies have been put in place, McNaught said. Nearly 100 new ones have been found in each of the past several years, he said.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Re: PW Bonus Tidbit ~ Close Encounter

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:52 am

All I can say is :fear:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:06 am

I just watched on Fox News an interview with Michio Kaku about the asteroid that passed close to earth on Monday. His book PW was confusing and very scientific for me - but this I understood. He stated that there is no official people that are watchdogs for this. He said that NASA is going to put up a satellite to watch for incoming asteroids in the future. Good idea!! Also stated that earth is like a target in a shooting gallery. Are there more asteroids coming our way since our reading of PW or are we just more aware?

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:33 pm

I think its just as our techno toys get more advanced we get more aware. It is interesting that its no ones job to look for these things but I am glad there are enough amateur astologists and scientists looking aroung out there.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:12 pm

It seems rather amazing that we haven't been run into already by anything really significant when you think of all that whizzing around out there.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:10 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:It seems rather amazing that we haven't been run into already by anything really significant when you think of all that whizzing around out there.

We have been hit numerous times. The last recorded one was in the early part of the 20th century when one about the size of this one exploded over Siberia and flattened a large area.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:28 pm

shadowydog, I do remember reading about the Siberian meteor (1908? or so). In fact I'm having a vague memory of it being mentioned in a tidbit at some point but I can't think why. :eyebrow: What I should have said is that I'm surprised we haven't been hit on a more cataclysmic scale.

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:38 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:shadowydog, I do remember reading about the Siberian meteor (1908? or so). In fact I'm having a vague memory of it being mentioned in a tidbit at some point but I can't think why. :eyebrow:
Maybe something you ran across while researching Siberia for TPAOL? I tried a search in those archives, but can't find anything.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:30 am

fansmom wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:shadowydog, I do remember reading about the Siberian meteor (1908? or so). In fact I'm having a vague memory of it being mentioned in a tidbit at some point but I can't think why. :eyebrow:
Maybe something you ran across while researching Siberia for TPAOL? I tried a search in those archives, but can't find anything.

I remember it being there. :-? Here is is. It was the tidbit by DITHOT on the Evenki (toward the end):

And don't forget the teeny meteor that hit Austin a few weeks ago.
:fear:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Thanks, Liz. I knew the one in Siberia rang a bell from somewhere in tidbitland! The one that was in the Austin sky actually didn't land in Austin, just put on a show flying by.

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:45 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:shadowydog, I do remember reading about the Siberian meteor (1908? or so). In fact I'm having a vague memory of it being mentioned in a tidbit at some point but I can't think why. :eyebrow: What I should have said is that I'm surprised we haven't been hit on a more cataclysmic scale.

Didn't we just learn In PW that the planet Jupiter helps earth because its gravity helps fling asteroids into outer space. I found it in my notes. :reader:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:06 pm

gemini, I think you are right. Here's to Jupiter! :toastingpirates: Thank goodness it wasn't downgraded like Pluto! :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:37 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:shadowydog, I do remember reading about the Siberian meteor (1908? or so). In fact I'm having a vague memory of it being mentioned in a tidbit at some point but I can't think why. :eyebrow: What I should have said is that I'm surprised we haven't been hit on a more cataclysmic scale.

what about the one that reputedly lead to the wiping out of the Dinosaurs? that was pretty big. Mind you most of them seem to be pretty small but I think we had a narrow miss with a large one a few years ago.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:18 pm

I was thinking of the crater used for the movie "close encounters of the 3rd kind" and read it is a controvery what made it, asteroid or volcanic. Anyhow while doing that I stumbled on this site that list some of the meteor landings.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:12 pm

That's quite interesting, gemini. :baby: Thanks for passing it along.

Return to “Parallel Worlds”