PW Question #9 ~ 6 Degrees

by Michio Kaku

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

PW Question #9 ~ 6 Degrees

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:36 am

Was there anything (quotes, topics, names) in the book that you could relate back to Johnny or ONBC?

Edited by Liz 1:33 p.m. PST
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Re: PW Question #9 ~ 6 Degrees

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:36 pm

How far is his home in France from the LHC?

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:31 pm

Fansmom, Paris is 4 hours in one direction and Aix-en-Provence is 4 hours in the other.

Maybe I should re-phrase the question (which I will also do above)…..

Was there anything (quotes, topics, names) in the book that you could relate back to Johnny or ONBC?

I only noticed 3, but there could be more.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:27 pm

I noticed the reference to Edgar Allan Poe. Chapter 2. Also Lewis Carroll. I think he's mentioned a couple of times but the one I can find is in Chapter 11. A reference to Dante's Inferno (Ch 12), which seems to have cropped up a few times in discussions but :capnjack: leaps most quickly to mind. Also Macbeth is quoted (and Polanski directed a film version, so that one is a degree removed).

ETA: I seem to remember a reference to angels dancing on a pinhead, though I can't find it now. And there's reference to the author having been brought up a Buddhist too.
Last edited by suec on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:47 pm

Liz wrote:Fansmom, Paris is 4 hours in one direction and Aix-en-Provence is 4 hours in the other.
Thanks!
I knew what you meant, Liz, but that's one thing I wondered as I was reading in PW about the LHC. (Not that I was worried about black holes sucking him and his family in.)

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:44 pm

fansmom wrote:
Liz wrote:Fansmom, Paris is 4 hours in one direction and Aix-en-Provence is 4 hours in the other.
Thanks!
I knew what you meant, Liz, but that's one thing I wondered as I was reading in PW about the LHC. (Not that I was worried about black holes sucking him and his family in.)

Well, I thought you did, fansmom. But there has been some confusion in the past when I’ve asked this question, so it warranted some clarification. And if Johnny gets sucked in, we'll be right there with him. :yikes:

suec wrote:A reference to Dante's Inferno (Ch 12), which seems to have cropped up a few times in discussions but leaps most quickly to mind.

Suec, I missed that one. I remember seeing “Dante’s Inferno” but it went right over my head. But I did make note of the dancing on the head of a pin:

Pg. 172: Such philosophical discussions may seem hopelessly impractical, devoid of any practical application in our world. Instead of debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, quantum physicists seem to be debating how many places an electron can be at the same time.

Alice is all over this book. I especially liked this line (pgs. 39-40):

At Columbia University, Charles Lane Poor, a professor of celestial mechanics, led the criticism of relativity, saying, “I feel as if I had been wandering with Alice in Wonderland and had tea with the Mad Hatter.”

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:59 pm

I think it was mentioned in a tidbit but Halley was also known for designing one of the first diving bells reminisque of "The diving bell and the butterfly".
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:47 pm

I finally found one!

page 140 -- J. Richard Gott, who proposed the Gott Time Machine, was born in Louisville, Kentucky. So he's a Kentucky theoretical physicist.

Does that count as a "6 degree?"

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:04 pm

My brain is failing me here with all these degrees :grin: but was it Club Dumas or Inamorata or both where we discussed alchemist? They were the first scientists and we read of many, especially those who were priests being put to death. We read that Giordiano Bruno was burned at the stake for saying the earth revolved around the sun before Galileo was on trial for heresy. Both are mentioned on page 345 by Kaku.
I guess we have come full circle here in Parallel worlds reading of John Polkinghorne the physicist who becomes a priest.
Last edited by gemini on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:45 pm

Theresa wrote:I finally found one!
page 140 -- J. Richard Gott, who proposed the Gott Time Machine, was born in Louisville, Kentucky. So he's a Kentucky theoretical physicist.

Sure sounds good to me ....Gott to Kentucky, to Johnny.. thats in only 3 degrees! :cool:

I saw Jules Verne Pg 46 "Hubble, however, was enthralled by the books of Jules Verne and enchanted by the stars "
I thought JV should connect to something and was thinking along the lines of through James Barry and Neverland. Anyhow I hit Jules Verne and Johnny Depp on good old google and lo and behold...... :yahoo:
Johnny is listed as a Celebrity participant of the Jules Verne Award and festival. How many degrees is that 2? Sorry I couldn't resist. :grin:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:11 pm

gemini wrote:
Theresa wrote:I finally found one!

Sure sounds good to me ....Gott to Kentucky, to Johnny.. thats in only 3 degrees! :cool:

I saw Jules Verne Pg 46 "Hubble, however, was enthralled by the books of Jules Verne and enchanted by the stars "
I thought JV should connect to something and was thinking along the lines of through James Barry and Neverland. Anyhow I hit Jules Verne and Johnny Depp on good old google and lo and behold...... :yahoo:
Johnny is listed as a Celebrity participant of the Jules Verne Award and festival. How many degrees is that 2? Sorry I couldn't resist. :grin:

It all comes back to Johnny, to the chagrin of my daughter.

Gemini, Giordano Bruno was the other one I had found. It was in Club Dumas that we read about him. Thanks for bringing up the diving bell. I remembered when I read DITHOT’s tidbit that I had seen that picture before, but forgot about it today. And does that make 2 priests involved with cosmology?

And Theresa…..it all counts.
:cool:

Return to “Parallel Worlds”