PW Question #4 ~ Sharing Quotes

by Michio Kaku

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Re: PW Question #4 ~ Sharing Quotes

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:50 am

Love all the cat jokes! fansmom, I think the only problem with the bowling ball bag experiment is that type of mac & chees never decays! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:48 pm

Liz wrote:
Theresa wrote:
Liz wrote: :biglaugh:

I guess this is how I deal with Physics and the Cosmos, and especially MATH ... I just have a good laugh.

Whatever works. :cool:
The excerpt below illustrates how quotes find me. I live in a Twilight Zone when it comes to books. During the last 4 months it was alchemists following me everywhere. Now it's atomic particles. Below is an excerpt from my current local book club selection. It’s an excellent book, BTW.
From The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry, Pg 1:

Throughout the generations the Whitney men have all become famous for their quirks: from the captains of sea and industry all the way down to my little brother, Beezer, who is well known within scientific circles for his articles on particle physics and string theory.
I had to read it again to make sure that wasn’t “quarks”.
I have gone through my entire life without having any contact with alchemy or string theory. Now all of a sudden the subjects are everywhere. :-O

I had to come back and find this post because last night I decided to read a humorous vampire romance just to get a break from the physics and guess what the heroine was.... a physicist. In the first few pages the authors humor mentions a star trek sounding word...it was quarks. Then off and on as the paranormal believing friend try's to convince the physicist that she is too into logic and has to loosen up to believe in other worldly beings they throw in the Gut and string theory. For some reason the remarks are even more amusing to me now that I have an inkling of their meanings. Add me to your twilight zone, Liz.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:06 pm

gemini wrote:
Liz wrote:
Theresa wrote:I guess this is how I deal with Physics and the Cosmos, and especially MATH ... I just have a good laugh.

Whatever works. :cool:
The excerpt below illustrates how quotes find me. I live in a Twilight Zone when it comes to books. During the last 4 months it was alchemists following me everywhere. Now it's atomic particles. Below is an excerpt from my current local book club selection. It’s an excellent book, BTW.
From The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry, Pg 1:

Throughout the generations the Whitney men have all become famous for their quirks: from the captains of sea and industry all the way down to my little brother, Beezer, who is well known within scientific circles for his articles on particle physics and string theory.
I had to read it again to make sure that wasn’t “quarks”.
I have gone through my entire life without having any contact with alchemy or string theory. Now all of a sudden the subjects are everywhere. :-O

I had to come back and find this post because last night I decided to read a humorous vampire romance just to get a break from the physics and guess what the heroine was.... a physicist. In the first few pages the authors humor mentions a star trek sounding word...it was quarks. Then off and on as the paranormal believing friend try's to convince the physicist that she is too into logic and has to loosen up to believe in other worldly beings they throw in the Gut and string theory. For some reason the remarks are even more amusing to me now that I have an inkling of their meanings. Add me to your twilight zone, Liz.

Welcome to the Twilight Zone, gemini. Now aren't you glad you read PW? It allowed you to appreciate your current read more fully. There's a quick mention of physics in Loser's Town also. He doesn't get into String Theory, though.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:57 pm

How about a song about the universe? This is from Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life," and it seems appropriate for our discussion. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AuCWuZPvvY
[youtube]4AuCWuZPvvY[/youtube]

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:29 pm

Thanks Theresa. That was cute. It seemed familiar but I have no idea where I would have seen it before.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:11 pm

:lol: Love Monty Python!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Parallel Worlds”