Glass Books - Favorite Passages

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Glass Books - Favorite Passages

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:47 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:This discussion seemed to have zipped by! As much as we hate to leave Celeste, Abelard and Chang behind :bawl:, today is the last formal question for this book. If you all have some unanswered questions you would like to pose, please post them.

There were times when Mr Dahlquist painted some very sharp pictures with his words - and times when a passage gave me pause to think . Here are just a couple of quotes I marked as I was reading.

page 155 describing Svenson: His coat was fine enough but unkempt - in fact the man's who appearance gave the impression of a once-cherished article - a sofa, for example - that had been left in the rain and partially ruined.

pages 238-9 when Dr. Svenson admits "I have a difficulty with height. An excruciating difficulty".
"I have the same with root vegetables." Miss Temple smiled. :lol:

page 335: the antic, rawboned look of an underfed horse.

page 402 when the Comte sits to dine with Miss Temple: He pulled out the chair and sat, his large body having the odd effect of placing him both near to her and far away at the same time, his hands on the table but his face strangely distant beyond them.

pag 415: Miss Temple believed that change brought sorrow as a matter of course.

gemini

Re: Glass Books - Favorite Passages

Unread postby gemini » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:14 pm

Not really a question but somthing I missed....
I was looking through my notes and reading my description of Aspiche.
Adjutant Colonel Noland Aspiche tall, hard, lean receding hair cut close, high forehead.. He hired Chang to kill Trapping. He was the new commander of the 4th regiment of the Dragoons after Trappings death.
I just seemed to notice that the apparent new Col. of the Dragoons hired Chang to dispose of the previous one. I had thought the cabal removed Trapping for maybe finding out too much or not co operating but it didn't register that maybe Aspiche just wanted his job. And who killed him anyway, since Chang found him dead?
Last edited by gemini on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:14 pm

Nebraska, thanks for bringing this topic to our attention. I will come back and answer it in a bit after I try to find my favorites.

nebraska wrote: page 155 describing Svenson: His coat was fine enough but unkempt - in fact the man's who appearance gave the impression of a once-cherished article - a sofa, for example - that had been left in the rain and partially ruined.

I remember reading this quote and thinking that was a very unique and tactile description.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:05 pm

gemini wrote:Not really a question but somthing I missed....
Adjutant Colonel Noland Aspiche tall, hard, lean receding hair cut close, high forehead.. He hired Chang to kill Trapping. He was the new commander of the 4th regiment of the Dragoons after Trappings death.
I just seemed to notice that the apparent new Col. of the Dragoons hired Chang to dispose of the previous one. I had thought the cabal removed Trapping for maybe finding out too much or not co operating but it didn't register that maybe Aspiche just wanted his job. And who killed him anyway, since Chang found him dead?

gemini, I think Aspiche hired Chang for those personal reasons but the Cabal killed Trapping and Aspiche still got his way. Didn't Trapping somehow die going through the Process and then the Cabal covered it up to make it look like he died at home somehow? I'm a little fuzzy on the details now what with all this 3=mc2 running amok in my brain! :headache:

nebraska, I'll have to go back and look at my book. I underlined some passages I enjoyed too. Good question!
:cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:34 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
gemini wrote:Not really a question but somthing I missed....

gemini, I think Aspiche hired Chang for those personal reasons but the Cabal killed Trapping and Aspiche still got his way. Didn't Trapping somehow die going through the Process and then the Cabal covered it up to make it look like he died at home somehow? I'm a little fuzzy on the details now what with all this 3=mc2 running amok in my brain! :headache:

nebraska, I'll have to go back and look at my book. I underlined some passages I enjoyed too. Good question!
:cool:

Wasn't it Caroline who killed Col. Trapping? I think some of the Cabal knew about it and kept it a secret. I guess it just wasn't that important to the story since the three of us are so hazy on this.

And isn't that e=mc2, DITHOT? :grin: Amok is us. :-)

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:52 pm

:-O Hope I didn't alter the parallel universes with that formula!

I told you there wouldn't be any hard physics questions! :mallet: Apologies to Mr. Einstein!
:blush:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:54 am

page 65 Cardinal Chang: As for the name, however ironic or mocking, it did bestow a certain veneer of mission-given his life was a persistent and persistently vicious struggle-onto his itinerant church of one, and though he knew in his heart that he (like everyone) must lose at the finish, the vain title made him feel less through the course of his days like an animal fattened in a pen.

Page 213 The man in red stopped perhaps a yard or two away. He looked at-she could not see his eyes-then looked at the Doctor, and then at the open door between them. He whispered conspiratorially, "No blood. No princes. Shall we send for tea?"

Page 334 Svenson talking with Conductor: "I am not clear. What I mean to ask is when was the last train, the previous train, which my acquaintance might have taken?"
"2:52," he spat again.
"That is but ten minutes before this one."
"I see you're a professor of mathematics."

Page 536 Chang and Angelique: until they had paused for a moment at the quayside, looking down at the water. Chang had fallen silent, and then spoken quietly of the river's passage to an endless sea-observing that even they in their squalid lives, by being in that place, for that time, could truly situate themselves at the border of mystery.
For that image of possible escape, that unintended echo of her own vast imagined life, so far removed...she had been surprised. She had remembered that moment, and offered him, here at the end, that much thanks. :tear:
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:50 am

trygirl wrote:For that image of possible escape, that unintended echo of her own vast imagined life, so far removed...she had been surprised. She had remembered that moment, and offered him, here at the end, that much thanks. :tear:

Trygirl, that passage touched me deeply, too!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:05 pm

nebraska wrote:
trygirl wrote:For that image of possible escape, that unintended echo of her own vast imagined life, so far removed...she had been surprised. She had remembered that moment, and offered him, here at the end, that much thanks. :tear:

Trygirl, that passage touched me deeply, too!

Me too. :-/ I had forgotten about that part.

I’m sorry that it has taken so long for me to get back to this thread……real life is alive and well, unfortunately.

I find, though, that I didn’t really mark in favorite passages. I did find one that gave me a chuckle, though. It made me think of the Earl. But it’s not the only passage that made me think of Wilmot. And I’m sure you all know which excerpt that was. ;-)

Pg. 436. “What had happened to her? What thoughts were now embedded in her mind—what memories—of ravaging and being ravaged, of blood and salt, male and female? With a dull irony, Miss Temple wondered if she had become the most thoroughly debauched virgin in all of history.”

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:15 pm

Liz, I liked the "debauched virgin" line, too, although I wondered how many others Miss Temple had heard of. :blush:

Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”