Glass Books #26 ~ More to Come?...and a few reminders

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Re: Glass Books #26 ~ More to Come?...and a few reminders

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:46 pm

I finished reading Parallel Worlds a couple of days ago. I am not sure how much of it I truly understood but I learned so much. This really opened a whole new world for me - Johnny has a way of doing that on a regular basis. This discussion should be quite an adventure!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:48 pm

ladylinn wrote:Yes - I will definately read "The Dark Volume". :yahoo: Can hardly wait for more adventures with Miss Temple, Chang and Svenson. Want to know who survived the crash - maybe Contessa and others??? Guess we will have to wait until the end of March for it to be available. Hoping for more near misses in battle with the cabel and some romance for/or between a couple of our main characters. :love:
I have been trying to read PW. Whew! My brain hurts!!! As someone said to me "Oh Johnny, why?" :perplexed: No hard questions PLEASE!

I know what you mean, I just finished Parellel Worlds and never felt such a feeling of accomplishment. I am enjoying the tidbits now that I know what its all about. I guess sometimes reading is for education instead of amusement.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:10 pm

Congrats to all of you who have finished PW. :highfive: It is quite an accomplishment, so pat yourself on the back. I'm not there yet. I'm hoping to get towards the end this weekend.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Jennak

Unread postby Jennak » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:18 am

I decided to pass on PW, in favor of Good Omens. It has been staring at me accusingly from my bookshelf for almost a year. I am enjoying it immensely. I'm looking forward to reading the ONBC discussion on Good Omens when I am finished.

I am also looking forward to reading Daniel Depp's book next. The Amazon excerpt was fascinating.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:29 am

Jennak wrote:I decided to pass on PW, in favor of Good Omens. It has been staring at me accusingly from my bookshelf for almost a year. I am enjoying it immensely. I'm looking forward to reading the ONBC discussion on Good Omens when I am finished.

I am also looking forward to reading Daniel Depp's book next. The Amazon excerpt was fascinating.
I loved Good Omens, Jennak, but I think I may have been the only ONBCer who did. I think I've now read everything Neil Gaiman has written for adults. (Not the graphic novels--I'm a word person, not a picture person.) He's phenomenal.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:46 am

I think I may pass on PW too. I still haven't ordered the book and I probably wouldn't finish in time for the discussion. But I'll return for Loser's Town.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:05 am

fansmom wrote:
Jennak wrote:I decided to pass on PW, in favor of Good Omens. It has been staring at me accusingly from my bookshelf for almost a year. I am enjoying it immensely. I'm looking forward to reading the ONBC discussion on Good Omens when I am finished.

I loved Good Omens, Jennak, but I think I may have been the only ONBCer who did. I think I've now read everything Neil Gaiman has written for adults. (Not the graphic novels--I'm a word person, not a picture person.) He's phenomenal.

Oh no, fansmom...I loved Good Omens. Especially the little notes at the bottom of the pages.

But even though I haven't begun Parallel Worlds yet (and will have to be having a marathon reading session to get done before the discussion begins), I'm looking forward to digging into it. It's something completely different...and should be a very educational discussion.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:17 am

I also loved Good Omens. I read another book by TP where the character of Death features again. He takes a job as a farm labourer if I remember rightly. I really enjoyed it but for the life of me I can't remember the title now.

I see tidbits are appearing on PW - I see I have let my reading drift because I really prefer to read the book before reading the tidbits.

Congrats to all of you who have finished PW. It is quite an accomplishment, so pat yourself on the back.

Liz you fill me with optimism :lol: It is just as well I have a load of free time this week so I shall try to crack on with it.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:08 am

Count me in among those who loved Good Omens!!!! :bounce: That is one I would read again.....as are many of the books we have read here ..... if I had unlimited time and energy.

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:46 am

I, too, loved Good Omens... Should finish reading Gaiman's The Graveyard Book this weekend and will see the movie "Coraline" this p.m. ... Started PW last night... intriguing to say the least... like others I'm not sure I'm understanding it, but while I'm reading it I feel like I do :lol: ;-)
Must admit that I haven't finished Glass Books... :dunce: ... got sidetracked and haven't gotten back to it...
I need to stop reading two and three books at a time. something always gets lost... :sad: but I'll finish it eventually....
bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

IngridN

Unread postby IngridN » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:18 pm

2 Weeks ago I finished reading the Dark Volume and I can't wait for the sequel to come out!.
I am now half way PW. This is difficult stuff! :hypnotic: Very interesting but I needed a break so I decided to read another book at the same time :"The whole Truth", from my favorite author, David Baldacci.

Finished reading it today so now I am going from the world of secret agents and PM guys :gangster: to the world of quantum theory, Big Bang, quarks, bosons, protons and 10 dimensional hyperspace. :yahoo:
"We are always the same age inside." Gertrude Stein

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:32 pm

Count me as another fan of Good Omens, I thought it was great. Its another that the discussion was before my time though.

IngridN said
2 Weeks ago I finished reading the Dark Volume and I can't wait for the sequel to come out!.
I am now half way PW. This is difficult stuff! Very interesting but I needed a break so I decided to read another book at the same time

Funny you ,me, and bluebird, have that in common, that is how I get through books that are difficult and I need a break. I read several paperback fantasies while getting through PW. :grin:

I see Dark Volume has been available on amazon UK but its not released until March on the US amazon.
I suppose you will be reading the 3rd sequel earlier as well... lucky girl. Was Dark Volume as good as the Glass Books?
Last edited by gemini on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:42 pm

It would seem that you weren't alone in your love of Good Omens, fansmom. I loved it too.

IngridN and bluebird, I'm glad you are attempting PW. And those of you who aren't, you might want to check out the discussion because there might be some questions that don't necessitate reading the book. But if not, we'll see you for Loser's Town. And I am so excited because I am going to go to the book reading/signing. I found out yesterday that another one has opened up in San Jose which is even closer to me and earlier in the week than the one in San Mateo. :bounce:

Back to working on today's tidbit..... :blush: Don't worry, it will be up before the end of the day (PST).

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

IngridN

Unread postby IngridN » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:54 pm

gemini wrote:I see Dark Volume has been available on amazon UK but its not released until March on the US amazon.
I suppose you will be reading the 3rd sequel earlier as well... lucky girl. Was Dark Volume as good as the Glass Books?

I find Dark Volume much better than the Glass Book. I saw the Hard Cover version in the public library so I decided to borrow it and I could not stop reading!
About 3 weeks ago I saw the paperback version in the bookstore and
I decided to buy it.
"We are always the same age inside." Gertrude Stein

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:03 pm

IngridN wrote: I find Dark Volume much better than the Glass Book. I saw the Hard Cover version in the public library so I decided to borrow it and I could not stop reading!

Wow! That's a great recommendation! Thanks, IngridN.

Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”