Glass Books Question #24 ~ Book to Film

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Glass Books Question #24 ~ Book to Film

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:48 am

How do you think the movie will translate to film? What parts are you looking forward to the most? :popcorn:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

trygirl

Re: Glass Books Question #24 ~ Book to Film

Unread postby trygirl » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:11 pm

I think the book will translate well unto film. It has all of the things moviegoers want to see: action, adventure, romance, titillation, humor, science fiction, etc and it's sure to make people think so no harm, no foul there. Therefore, all the film really needs is just the right cast to pull it off. I especially want to see all of Chang's harrowing escapes like his fight with the soldier or his tunnel duel with Francis Xonck. I also want to see his interactions with the Contessa and watch his battle, with bated breath, to escape certain death because of the glass in his lungs. And I have to admit that there's something twisted and erotic about Johnny spitting up blood and still managing to be sexy and intense or maybe that's just me. :blush: I also think it will be interesting to see how they bring the visual experience of the glass books to the screen. And I'm looking forward to Dr. Svenson's fight for survival in the Quarry and Miss Temple's first experience at Harschmort House. Although, mostly I'm looking forward to Chang, Chang, and more Chang. But the book had me on the edge of my seat so the movie is bound to have me on the floor...and certainly if Mr. Depp's in it.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:13 pm

Ok, it's time for an ONBC poll: is there "something twisted and erotic about Johnny spitting up blood and still managing to be sexy and intense," or is it just trygirl? :lol: (I'm just kidding, trygirl--the popularity of say, vampire movies, makes it clear that twisted, erotic, bloody, sexy, and intense go hand-in-hand for a lot of people.)

I think Glass Books could make an excellent movie. All of the action could be phenominal on screen. All of the corridor running, which some have said was tedious to read, could be very atmospheric and pulse-pounding. On the other hand, Miss Temple's two-page breakfast, which some have said was too descriptive, would be over quickly.

Personally, I'd really like to see the dirigible at the end, because that was written in such a visual style that I felt I was seeing it.

I'm not commenting on how effective the erotic bits could be.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:58 pm

fansmom wrote: I'm not commenting on how effective the erotic bits could be.

Hey, I want to see those erotic bits. :shocked: But then it might have to be rated X.

Seriously ;-), I don't really want to see Johnny spit up blood (or any other actor, for that matter). I am curious to see how they do the special effects of the glass ladies, along with the dirigible scenes.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Beatrix

Unread postby Beatrix » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:55 pm

fansmom wrote: All of the action could be phenominal on screen. All of the corridor running, which some have said was tedious to read, could be very atmospheric and pulse-pounding.

Personally, I'd really like to see the dirigible at the end, because that was written in such a visual style that I felt I was seeing it.

These were some of my favorite parts. I think they will be exciting to watch.

Liz wrote:I am curious to see how they do the special effects of the glass ladies[/color][/b][/font_comic]

Me too. :eyebrow:

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:29 pm

Liz wrote:Seriously ;-), I don't really want to see Johnny spit up blood (or any other actor, for that matter).
I remember going "Ewww" in Sweeney Todd, when Anthony (Jamie Campbell Bower) sang with blood on his teeth. Yes, I was there to see a movie about homicide and cannibalism, but a little blood grossed me out. :freaked:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:52 pm

I think the book would translate ver well to film, it is really visual, an example being all the use of color we discussed earlier.

I would love to see Angelique walking in all her blueness shortly before she is shattered. I got the impression she was breathtakingly beautiful and I think the effect would be stunning. At least my mental picture is gorgeous.

As to blood, I don't know how you could truly portray Chang's injured lungs and enormous struggle without showing it. Is it erotic? I am not sure. Maybe. :blush:

When Anthony sang through his bloody teeth, he was all the more believable than if they had sanitized what happened to him at the judge's house.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:15 pm

Liz wrote:
fansmom wrote: I'm not commenting on how effective the erotic bits could be.

Hey, I want to see those erotic bits. :shocked: But then it might have to be rated X.

Seriously ;-), I don't really want to see Johnny spit up blood (or any other actor, for that matter). I am curious to see how they do the special effects of the glass ladies, along with the dirigible scenes.

There was a overabundance of spitting in this book...and they can leave out a LOT of that, thank you very much!

I think the dirigible scene at the end will make a great climatic action scene. And all the atmospheric running-down-dark-hallways-and-evading-the-enemy scenes will film well. (But please don't let them use that shaky hand-held camera like they do in so many horror movies. All that shaking makes me swimmy-headed.)

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:16 pm

Well, I vote for the Yes for the erotic part of Johnny and blood, but then I have always been addicted to vampire romance novels and can't wait to see if Johnny plays Barnabus Collins in Dark Shadows. I can surely feel the sympathy/compassion in those scenes. I would say they could tone it down and still get across the seriousness of his condition but Johnny would probably rather go with the realism of spitting blood.

I do love adventure and sci fi so this one will be my kind of movie. I can see them having a mini scene showing from ones point of view when looking in the glass. I think I have mentioned before how the airship over the water would make for great scenery in the fast action finally. I think the espionage and suspense of the train scenes while Miss Temple trys to follow Roger and her encounter with the Contessa would be great scenes.

The close calls of the Dr, Celeste and Chang, where all seemed to be lost so many times, would be good in a film. I can see where after everyone thinking Chang perished after inhaling the glass, his reentering the scene could be a great scene for Johnny. ( sort of a Capt Jack entering) As you can see like trygirl, Chang would be my main interest in seeing the film.

I think the movie will translate well into a film, if done right, and not too drawn out. I like fast paced adventure stories. That is why I would like it, now for the male audience , I am sure the glass ladies will be enough to draw them to the film.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:50 pm

You all have mentioned most of the scenes I'm looking forward to, the dirigible at the end, the glass women. The mansion is going to be a perfect place to set an edge of your seat mood. Seeing Chang walk the back streets and alleyways of the city in that red coat is a nice visual. The roof scene with Dr. Svenson exhibiting his fear of heights might eve give us a bit of comedy and the ball scene from the beginning could be a costumer's delight with all the fancy gowns and masks. There is just so much it makes me wonder what will have to be cut to make it fit into a few hours of film.

So that brings us to the opposite questions. What would you cut from the book to movie?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:58 pm

What would you cut from the book to movie?

I didn't like that sneaking around the mansion when she found Col Trappings body. I think that can be done with one open door trying to escape the Contassa. Also the build up of following Roger in the beginning to work and home before the scene on the train. They could just explain that in a conversation when she updates Chang or the Dr at their first meeting. The same with some of the build up of dislike between Dr Svenson , Col Aspiche and Major Black at the beginning. They might even combine some of these characters to make the plot easier to follow. The same with Dr. Lorenz, Conrad Flauss and Mr Blenheim. I think Francis Xonck, the Comte and the Contessa are enough for villains along with the glass ladies. One Colonel for the Dragoons, maybe Smithe who helped Chang is enough. Actually they could eliminate Crabbe because he and Roger seemed to have the same agenda. Maybe I am over simplifying, or just rambling.
Last edited by gemini on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:48 pm

gemini, I think you are on the right track. I was thinking about cutting/combining scenes or parts of the story but your idea about doing the same with the characters is well taken. I was pretty confused at the beginning of the book with all the villains, or villains to be and who was who. That could take a very long time to explain in a 2 hour movie.

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:23 pm

DITHOT, I’m still thinking about what I want to see, not cut. But I’ll get there.

This is the scene I want to see. And you will know why after you read it. It is sooooooo Johnny.....to me.

Pg. 214:

No one spoke for a moment. Miss Temple took a seat on the small sofa. She looked up at the doctor and indicated the armchair. He wavered, but then sat in it. They both looked at Chang, who drifted to the remaining chair, across from them both. It was only then that Miss Temple realized that something bright was tucked within his hand—his razor. From the way he moved, she had no doubt that he was far more dangerous with the razor than the two of them with their pistols put together—and if that was the case, then something entirely else was called for. She cleared her throat and very deliberately brought her hand out of her green bag. She then took the bag from her lap and placed it to the side on the sofa. A moment later, Chang abruptly shoved the razor into his pocket. After another few seconds, Svenson removed his hand from his coat pocket.

“Were you in earnest about the tea?” Miss Temple asked. “I should like some very much. It is always best when discussing serious matters to do so around a teapot. Doctor—you are nearest—if you would be so kind as to ring the bell.”

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:29 pm

gemini wrote:What would you cut from the book to movie?

I didn't like that sneaking around the mansion when she found Col Trappings body. I think that can be done with one open door trying to escape the Contassa. Also the build up of following Roger in the beginning to work and home before the scene on the train. They could just explain that in a conversation when she updates Chang or the Dr at their first meeting. The same with some of the build up of dislike between Dr Svenson , Col Aslpiche and Major Black at the beginning They might even combine some of these characters to make the plot easier to follow. The same with Dr. Lorenz, Conrad Flauss and Mr Blenheim. I think Francis Xonck, the Comte and the Contessa are enough for villains along with the glass ladies. One Colonel for the Dragoons, maybe Smithe who helped Chang is enough. Actually they could eliminate Crabbe because he and Roger seemed to have the same agenda. Maybe I am over simplifying, or just rambling.

YES! :hatsoff: I had such a hard time remembering who was who (of the men) because they were so similar (IMHO). You are brilliant, gemini.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:31 pm

Liz wrote:DITHOT, I’m still thinking about what I want to see, not cut. But I’ll get there.

This is the scene I want to see. And you will know why after you read it. It is sooooooo Johnny.....to me.

Pg. 214:

No one spoke for a moment. Miss Temple took a seat on the small sofa. She looked up at the doctor and indicated the armchair. He wavered, but then sat in it. They both looked at Chang, who drifted to the remaining chair, across from them both. It was only then that Miss Temple realized that something bright was tucked within his hand—his razor. From the way he moved, she had no doubt that he was far more dangerous with the razor than the two of them with their pistols put together—and if that was the case, then something entirely else was called for. She cleared her throat and very deliberately brought her hand out of her green bag. She then took the bag from her lap and placed it to the side on the sofa. A moment later, Chang abruptly shoved the razor into his pocket. After another few seconds, Svenson removed his hand from his coat pocket.

“Were you in earnest about the tea?” Miss Temple asked. “I should like some very much. It is always best when discussing serious matters to do so around a teapot. Doctor—you are nearest—if you would be so kind as to ring the bell.”

Oh Yes, I had forgotten they had a little suspenseful standoff when they first got together. That would be a great scene.

Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”