Glass Books Question #23 ~ Casting

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Glass Books Question #23 ~ Casting

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:52 pm

From the Bookreporter.com interview:

“I can certainly imagine it as a movie, though to make a feature film one would probably have to cut two-thirds of the plot, which I --- no doubt like scores of writers before me --- find a little depressing. But the book is certainly full of visual set pieces crying out to be staged, and it would be a blast to see actors sink their teeth into such juicy roles. As for dream casts, it's hard to say --- the parts begin to change as you imagine different people in a role, which is part of the fun.”

Let’s cast the characters, other than Chang.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bix

Re: Glass Books Question #23 ~ Casting

Unread postby Bix » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:18 pm

I had started a dream cast list - and it is a dream cast! - but it is at home. A couple of quick thoughts.
Gemini, I cast Viggo Mortensen as Dr Svenson also. Yum! Johnny & Viggo :cloud9:

I would also pick Reese Witherspoon for Miss Temple. She was so good as Becky Sharp in Vanity Fair and Miss Temple reminded me a lot of Becky Sharp, although perhaps not quite so avaricious.

I think I also picked Salma Hayak as the Contessa.

Will have to look at my list when I get home, but I know that with so many characters to cast, no producer or studio could afford my choices!
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:52 pm

I enjoy Viggo so I wouldn't mind him as Dr. Svenson. I also envisioned Matt Damon in the role but I'm not definite on who should play the good doctor just yet. But I think Anne Hathaway would be a fine Miss Temple and Johnathan Rhys Myers would be a good choice for Francis Xonck...he's great on The Tudors as King Henry VIII and I could even see Jude Law in the role. I think Monica Bellucci would be absolutely perfect as the Contessa. She's beautiful and she would be great as that ice queen. And Jason Alexander would make a good Minister Crabbe because he plays the creep part well. I also believe James McAvoy would also be great as Roger Bascombe. I think he's a good up and coming actor and I loved him in Becoming Jane with Hathaway. But I haven't decided on the other roles.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:31 pm

I'm terrible at casting characters because in most of the movies I watch, the actors and actresses are either too old or they've already passed away.

But as much as I wouldn't want to see her in a movie with Johnny, the one person I could see as the Contessa is Angelina Jolie.

I always saw Johnny in the role of Dr. Svenson...wrong coloring, but he's who I envisioned in the part as I read the book.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:57 pm

Casting
Well I have certainly waited patiently for this question. Yes, even with Liz teasing us with the wicked witch of snow white for the Contessa. I was afraid when you asked who Johnny would play that you migh not ask for the rest of the cast. As you can see I have been giving it some thought.

Cardinal Chang tall, black hair, unshaven,scars across his eyes, round dark specatcles There is no doubt here for me ....its Johnny.

Celeste Temple age 25pretty, clear grey eyes, sausage curls( made me think of Shirly Temple) I will say Natalie Portman or Moira Kelly

Dr Abelard Stevenson Blond hair, falling in his eyes, almost white., parted in the center, long on top but shaved on the back and sides.,German, with an accent, wore a monocle. I would love to see what Leonard DiCaprio could do with the character, or Viggio Mortensen.

Mrs Eloise Dujong Kate Winslet

Roger Bascombe reasonable status and beauty,more chin. Less stomach, delicate ips, bristling side whislers. Christian Slater

Mrs Stearn Cate Blanchett

Karl-Horst von Maasnarck23 thined honey colored curls receded from his forhead. Weak constition Weak mouth suken jaw, bad teeth
I was stumped.

Lydia Vandaariff pretty rich; Sean Young

The Contessa Madame Lacquer-Sforza Sharon Stone or Geena Davis

Comte d'Orkancz Gene Hackman

'Francis Xonck; Russell Crowe or Colin Ferrel make pretty good rogues. or Julian McMahon

Angelique Lucy Liu or Angelina Jolie

Mrs Poole Ellen Barkin

Mrs Marchmoor Jessica Lang or Minnie Driver
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:42 pm

Great choices so far! :cool:

Here's My List:

Miss Temple: Keira Knightly (but I like the idea of Reese Witherspoon or Natalie Portman too)

Roger: Edward Norton or Stuart Townsend

Mrs. Marchmoor: Kate Beckinsale

Miss Poole: Renée Zellweger

Lydia: Mena Suvari

Angelique: Devon Aoki

Caroline: I like gemini’s idea of Kate Blanchett

Elöise: I like gemini’s choice of Kate Winslett

Contessa & Svenson: I’m stumped

The other men all remind me of this guy:

Timothy Spall

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:14 pm

LOL, Liz! I'm glad you posted Timothy Spall's name, because I saw him for Dr. Lorenz or Mr. Blenheim for sure, but couldn't remember his name.

Love your pick of Devon Aoki. I'd never heard of her, but she certainly has the look to play Angelique.

For what it's worth, here's the rest of the things scrawled on my dream cast list:

Miss Poole - Samantha Morton (The Libertine)
Compte - Benicio del Toro (or Robbie Coltrane - Miss Temple always referred to him as huge in his fur coat, thereby making me think of a very refined Hagrid!)
Crabbe - Alan Rickman
the Prince - Sasha Baron Cohen
Roger Bascombe - Jake Gyllenhall
Lydia Vandaarif - Cameron Diaz
Caroline Stearne - Scarlett Johanssen
Eloise Dujong - Kate Winslet
Captain Smythe - Sean Bean
Xonck - Clive Owen

As you can see from my list, I'd clearly like to see Johnny work with many of his past co-stars!
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:51 pm

Afraid I can't add much to my vote for Johnny as Chang. I don't often go to a movie that isn't one of Johnny's.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:21 pm

Bix wrote:LOL, Liz! I'm glad you posted Timothy Spall's name, because I saw him for Dr. Lorenz or Mr. Blenheim for sure, but couldn't remember his name.

Love your pick of Devon Aoki. I'd never heard of her, but she certainly has the look to play Angelique.

For what it's worth, here's the rest of the things scrawled on my dream cast list:

Miss Poole - Samantha Morton (The Libertine)
Compte - Benicio del Toro (or Robbie Coltrane - Miss Temple always referred to him as huge in his fur coat, thereby making me think of a very refined Hagrid!)
Crabbe - Alan Rickman
the Prince - Sasha Baron Cohen
Roger Bascombe - Jake Gyllenhall
Lydia Vandaarif - Cameron Diaz
Caroline Stearne - Scarlett Johanssen
Eloise Dujong - Kate Winslet
Captain Smythe - Sean Bean
Xonck - Clive Owen

As you can see from my list, I'd clearly like to see Johnny work with many of his past co-stars!

Wow I like a few of yours better than mine. Alan Rickman for sure, Sasha for the Prince yeah, and Clive Owen for Xonck.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:28 pm

Bix, thanks for helping me visualize some of the male characters. I like Samantha Morton the best for Miss Poole.

And Clive and Devon (my Angelique) can have a reunion. They were in Sin City together and the one that’s in pre-production.

Beatrix

Unread postby Beatrix » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Liz wrote:From the Bookreporter.com interview:

“I can certainly imagine it as a movie, though to make a feature film one would probably have to cut two-thirds of the plot, which I --- no doubt like scores of writers before me --- find a little depressing. But the book is certainly full of visual set pieces crying out to be staged, and it would be a blast to see actors sink their teeth into such juicy roles. As for dream casts, it's hard to say --- the parts begin to change as you imagine different people in a role, which is part of the fun.”

I agree with this quote. I keep changing my mind the more I try to imagine an actor in the role. :dunce: I thought of Salma Hayek for the role of the Contessa. Anyway, I love reading the dream cast lists.

Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”