Glass Books Question #22 ~ All Things Johnny

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Glass Books Question #22 ~ All Things Johnny

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:54 am

Which character did you pick for Johnny? Why? Cite Johnny moments from the book for that character.

What do you think interested Johnny about this book?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Bix

Re: Glass Books Question #22 ~ All Things Johnny

Unread postby Bix » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:09 am

I only have time for a quick post before I'm off to work, but wanted to chime in on this one. I picked Chang for Johnny to play. I guess that's the obvious choice, but the "look" is just so right for him - scarred eyes, sunglasses, red leather coat and boots. We know how Johnny loves creating new looks and I'm sure he would do a great one for Chang.

I see hints of Corso in Chang and some Captain Jack Sparrow, too. And Chang is the loner, the outsider, the type Johnny seems to like to play. Can't think of any instances from the book to support my choice right now, so I hope to come back to the questions later today if I have time.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:16 pm

Well, Chang seemed so obvious to me I would be anxious to see posts with anyone's other suggestions just to see if I was oblivious from the beginning. Reasons: he fits so will with Changs anti hero charisma and his love of freedom from society's rules. The looks, black hair dark eyes etc.
I think that Johnny would be drawn to the book because it does have a differnent type of hero and because the subject matter is unusual and because he loves the bygone eras more then present day.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:53 pm

I too first thought of Johnny protraying Chang. A character that is on the edge of norm. But I really would like to see Johnny portraying Dr. Svenson. Svenson is the charater that grows the most in the story from what he was at the beginning. First he is quiet and only interested in his position of protecting his Prince. Then he is challenged with not only protecting but coming forth to interact with others to survive and try to save others from the glass. (Thought of Sleepy Hollow) I think Johnny could take Svenson and show him as an irreplaceable force to Miss Temple and Chang.

As to why Johnny was drawn to this book - only Johnny could answer that. Would like to hear his answer.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:17 pm

Even though Chang is my favorite character, and Johnny would do great justice to the role because it's such a character piece, I'm still going to go against the grain and say Dr. Svenson. Svenson was not an action hero by any means. And although he's a German soldier, he's only a military doctor. Unlike Chang, Svenson had never been forced to fight his way out such dangerous situations until his dealings with the Cabal. His biggest weapon is his mind, not his physical prowess. Dr. Svenson is forced to use his mind more often than his brawn...Jack Sparrow comes to mind. But when push comes to shove, he can take care of himself.

And while Chang may be the anti hero, Svenson is the unlikely one. For Chang, it's business as usual, but Dr. Svenson is not a killer, it takes more inner fortitude for him to strike his enemies down. He's also philosophical, and I've always considered Johnny a philosopher. Not to mention Svenson thinks better when he smokes, and Johnny's always been fond of the habit. Also Svenson is not as physical as Chang, so he has to do a lot of quick thinking like with Lord Tarr's daughter, or on the train with Eloise and her companion to Tarr Village, or the scene with the woman reading the bible verse to him…Svenson's reply seemed so Johnny. But I could just as easily make a case for Chang. Although, I think Johnny has more in common with Svenson's personality.

I feel Johnny liked The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters because it had everything...sex, adventure, action, violence, mystery, suspense, the list is endless. And it’s filled with such vivid characters as the Cardinal, the Contessa, and the Comte. It also contains a lot the elements from the old Hammer horror films that he was such a fan of as a child and this Gothic novel is in the vein of a lot of those Gothic novel inspired movies. And Johnny is an old soul so the time period is perfect.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:55 pm

I agree with everyone’s answers, because I, too, am torn. The obvious character for Johnny to play would be Chang for all the reasons that have been stated. However, I can also see him as Svenson because he is quirky, sensitive, has fears, and is not the obvious hero. Johnny tends to be attracted to damaged characters; and I think both Chang and Svenson qualify. And I could see Johnny acting out some of the Chang scenes but also some of the Svenson scenes. The dark glasses, dark greasy hair & scars seemed so Johnny. But so did the monocle. Ladylinn, I thought of Ichabod also.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Beatrix

Unread postby Beatrix » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:15 pm

Liz wrote:I agree with everyone’s answers, because I, too, am torn. The obvious character for Johnny to play would be Chang for all the reasons that have been stated. However, I can also see him as Svenson because he is quirky, sensitive, has fears, and is not the obvious hero. Johnny tends to be attracted to damaged characters; and I think both Chang and Svenson qualify. And I could see Johnny acting out some of the Chang scenes but also some of the Svenson scenes. The dark glasses, dark greasy hair & scars seemed so Johnny. But so did the monocle. Ladylinn, I thought of Ichabod also.

Yay! I thought I was the only one who would imagine Johnny playing Svenson. Off the top of my head I thought of Svenson's character for many of the reasons Liz listed. I think Johnny would portray Svenson's painful hesitation and quirks very well. I'll try to post more examples from the book later. Sorry.

Linda B.

Unread postby Linda B. » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:32 pm

Feeling a bit silly - can Johnny play all THREE main characters? I did immediately see him as Chang, and then thought Svenson would be a great part for him - but I really can see him flouncing around as Miss Temple as well. It would be an amazing feat!!

Sorry - but I could resist!!

:hills:
"It's OK to be different, it's good to be different, we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:03 pm

Linda B. wrote:Feeling a bit silly - can Johnny play all THREE main characters? I did immediately see him as Chang, and then thought Svenson would be a great part for him - but I really can see him flouncing around as Miss Temple as well. It would be an amazing feat!!

:lol:
He did say that he would like to play a woman some day.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:16 pm

Linda B. wrote:Feeling a bit silly - can Johnny play all THREE main characters? I did immediately see him as Chang, and then thought Svenson would be a great part for him - but I really can see him flouncing around as Miss Temple as well. It would be an amazing feat!!

You are not the only one who had a passing thought of that!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:26 pm

I vote for Chang all the way! While Johnny would do justice to any role in the story, and there are all sorts of challenging roles available, I can see him gladdening my heart with a very hot Chang portrayal. :bounce:

I vividly remember the first time I saw Captain Jack Sparrow sail into my world. He took my breath away! Johnny as Chang would do the same thing! I can see him sword-fighting the soldier in his room, climbing to the roof and escaping......Chang has it all - disguise, tortured memories, intelligence, craftiness, unrequited love, physical grace, courage. Chang is exciting and multi-faceted and Johnny could portray him with fabulous deppth. Chang was my favorite character and I would love to see Johnny in that role. :cloud9:

I am not sure what attracted Johnny to the book - perhaps all the things we talked about with the glass books, the link to how famous people are examined, the idea of mind control, the connection of tv and internet.....I don't see him as one to read fiction just because it is simple fun, I think he likes a book that makes you think.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:26 pm

nebraska wrote:I vote for Chang all the way! While Johnny would do justice to any role in the story, and there are all sorts of challenging roles available, I can see him gladdening my heart with a very hot Chang portrayal. :bounce:

I vividly remember the first time I saw Captain Jack Sparrow sail into my world. He took my breath away! Johnny as Chang would do the same thing! I can see him sword-fighting the soldier in his room, climbing to the roof and escaping......Chang has it all - disguise, tortured memories, intelligence, craftiness, unrequited love, physical grace, courage. Chang is exciting and multi-faceted and Johnny could portray him with fabulous deppth. Chang was my favorite character and I would love to see Johnny in that role. :cloud9:

OK, nebraska...you've convinced me. :thud: I'm in the Chang camp all the way.

As far as why this book? Beats me. :perplexed: Maybe because it is a refreshing change from the norm? That's one reason why I liked it. I really hope that he shares the reasons why with us some day.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:30 am

Although Chang is my obvious choice, I too agree with you ladies that the part of Dr. Svenson would be a good part to play and I am sure Johnny could do it. I just don't see him as having white blond hair and a monocle. Chang with his injured eyes, and being near death after inhaling the blue glass, with Johnny in the part, would have every female in the audience hanging on their seats to the end wanting to save him. Somehow I pictured someone like Leonardo DiCapro or Viggio Mortensen as the Dr.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Jennak

Unread postby Jennak » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:29 am

CHANG! :bounce:

Absolutely and positively. Although I agree that Svenson grows a lot in the book, I still do not find him nearly as interesting of a character as Chang. I saw Johnny as Chang all through the book. Of course Johnny could do all three parts...and Angelique as well. But I think his greatest potential as an actor would be in portraying Chang.

I can see why Johnny liked the book. It is Victorian (we think), has action, several main characters...and opportunity for character development among the 3 characters. It has lots of action, layers of meaning...and a mystery. All that, and alchemy too. What's not to like. :disco:

magpie

Unread postby magpie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:29 pm

I would have to agree with the consensus, and say that I saw Chang as 'Johnny's role.' I read this some time ago, and didn't remember enough of the details to participate in the discussion. I've been reading along, though, very interesting! You ladies are far more analytical than I am, anyway. :lol:

All in all, I thought the book quite bizarre, and figured that's why Johnny liked it!
I'm having a thought here. . . .
. . if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.
--C.S. Lewis

Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”