Glass Books Question #15 ~ Waiting to be Taken

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Glass Books Question #15 ~ Waiting to be Taken

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:54 pm

Pg. 407. The Comte to Miss Temple:

“When it comes you will submit of your own accord. Everyone does. You think you battle monsters—you think you battle us!—but you only struggle with your fear…and that fear will shrivel before desire. You think I do not sense your hunger? I see it clearly as the sun. You are already mine, Miss Temple—just waiting for the moment when I choose to take you.”

Do we all have this hunger…waiting to be taken?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

ladylinn

Re: Glass Books Question #15 ~ Waiting to be Taken

Unread postby ladylinn » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:56 pm

Guess I will start this off -Everyone has some type of fear of unknown things or desires. Miss Temple was young and untested with alot of her different feelings that older more mature women would be less fearful. Do we all have this hunger - maybe at times in our lives. During times one has to stand up to fear and desires and decide whether to give into the hunger or not. I think at one time or another during ones life - the hunger is very present. With the blue glass/card Comte had a definate advantage over Miss Temple. She had to find her inner strength as we all do at times.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:14 pm

Nice start, ladylinn. And well said. I agree that we all do have hunger and desires that may not be the best for ourselves or for others in our lives. But we have to weigh the possible ramifications of giving in to the hunger. Sure Miss Temple had the hunger....but she was bright enough to realize that giving in would have extremely negative consequences.
Spoiler! :
And she was strong enough to resist.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:44 pm

I agree with ladylinn. I think at some point, we all wrestle with our demons, our own selfish desires. It's simply human nature. It's the animal in all of us. The primal need to explore the dark places in our soul. And Miss Temple has had very little experience with such cravings or at least with acknowledging them. But our desires are only a small part of our psyche and it's up us to remember that. It's our inner fortitude that saves us, finding the courage to resist our temptations. I guess it's just our conscience that takes over, if we choose to listen to it. It's the little voice that tells us it's o.k. to have desires but that all desires shouldn't be indulged because there are consequences to our actions. It helps us to retain our humanity in the face of such hunger and stays our appetite. In the end, you have to remember who you are.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:42 pm

I think that from the Compte's point of view, his invention was irresistible. He felt that Miss Temple's confidence and curiosity would be her downfall. He did not credit her or anyone with the ability to resist.

I agree that everyone has hungers and desires and we all have different degrees of resistance to step back and examine the consequences of our actions.
Spoiler! :
As we see from the story Miss Temple had the fortitude to pull herself away from the glass book which had caused the death of others. So the Compte had over estimated the power of his invention.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:52 pm

In just a couple of weeks I will be old enough for Social Security :bawl: (though not filing for it yet) .......... so as somebody looking at this question from the end of the spectrum where time is ticking down ....... I have mixed feelings about this question. In this particular instance, the Comte was an evil man with an evil agenda. But sometimes I think in life we miss much of the bounty of living by playing things too safe. It can be hard to know what is truly temptation or what is opportunity or if there is really a difference between the two. I think there is a natural yearning for new experiences and that can be a benefit in many circumstances and if that is a natural tendency, then yes, being there "for the taking" is probably very possible. :-? The difficult part is knowing the difference.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:03 pm

nebraska wrote:In just a couple of weeks I will be old enough for Social Security :bawl: (though not filing for it yet) .......... so as somebody looking at this question from the end of the spectrum where time is ticking down ....... I have mixed feelings about this question. In this particular instance, the Comte was an evil man with an evil agenda. But sometimes I think in life we miss much of the bounty of living by playing things too safe. It can be hard to know what is truly temptation or what is opportunity or if there is really a difference between the two. I think there is a natural yearning for new experiences and that can be a benefit in many circumstances and if that is a natural tendency, then yes, being there "for the taking" is probably very possible. :-? The difficult part is knowing the difference.

Well said Nebraska. I am not far behind you for social security and I have to agree. We make the best decisions we can but that does not always mean they are correct and hindsight is always such an advantage.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:25 am

Nebraska, thank you for your honesty. And I couldn't agree with you more. :cool:

suec

Unread postby suec » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:03 am

On balance my answer to this question is no. I agree that we all have hungers and desires. But that is different to having something imposed on us. Miss Temple wouldn't be submitting of her own accord. It is something she would have no choice in. He might claim that she is only battling with herself to try to resist him, but I think that is contradicted by the nature of the Process which is such that something of herself would be destroyed, especially the ability to act freely of her own accord. He is using her own desire and vulnerability to achieve his own desires. It isn't submission but imposition. He would own her. That is something I find especially disagreeable, to use a Miss T word. The last sentence in that quote is something I find truly repellent.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:52 pm

Suec, you raise a good point. I think we have all been turning this question onto ourselves and our abilities to resist temptation…or not. He is insinuating that Miss Temple will not have a choice in the end, so she might as well just give in to her desires. And, yes, that is more than disagreeable. So in that sense, I do not think that we are waiting to be taken—at least I’m not. I resist anyone or thing that wants to overpower me and take control of me. I want to be in control of myself.

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:37 pm

I took this passage a little differently. My thought was that it was less about temptation to indulge in physical sensation, and more about the desire to avoid responsibility for our actions. It is much easier to allow yourself to be led by others and then blame them for your situation than it is to stand firm for your principles and face the consequences. He is appealing to the child in all of us who wants to pretend "He made me do it!"
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:48 am

stroch wrote:I took this passage a little differently. My thought was that it was less about temptation to indulge in physical sensation, and more about the desire to avoid responsibility for our actions. It is much easier to allow yourself to be led by others and then blame them for your situation than it is to stand firm for your principles and face the consequences. He is appealing to the child in all of us who wants to pretend "He made me do it!"

Well, yes, there is that too.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:42 am

I trying to play catch up after being absent from class the past few days! You all have given such wondeful answers I'm not sure I have much to add to the other questions I missed. :cool:

I would add to this question that the Comte is not used to being disobeyed, just look at all those that have already fallen. So far he has bullied his way to whatever he wanted. Perhaps he senses that Miss Temple is a stronger foe and he is trying to intimidate her into believing she has no choice. As you all have said it is usually a manner of inner strength when we are faced with such decisions in our lives, to take the easy road or the harder one. Miss Temple has that inner strength she needs to resist.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Beatrix

Unread postby Beatrix » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:24 pm

No, I don't think we all have a "hunger..waiting to be taken". I don't think Miss Temple did; she seemed to be a strong willed character. I think the Comte assumed she was like the other women he seduced into being part of his "process".

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:41 pm

Beatrix wrote:No, I don't think we all have a "hunger..waiting to be taken". I don't think Miss Temple did; she seemed to be a strong willed character. I think the Comte assumed she was like the other women he seduced into being part of his "process".

Lumping all women together. What a male chauvinist pig he was.

Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”