Glass Books Question #11 ~ Ready...and...Action!

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Glass Books Question #11 ~ Ready...and...Action!

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:48 am

What did you think of the action sequences in the story?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

trygirl

Re: Glass Books Question #11 ~ Ready...and...Action!

Unread postby trygirl » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:10 am

I think the action sequences work well in the book. They keep the reader in a state of suspense. One wonders will the character survive this time?, who will save them?, how will they save themselves?, etc. I was on the edge of my seat for the trio a lot. And the great thing about the action is that it's as much mental as it is physical. Each of the characters uses their brains and their brawn to outsmart the cabal.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:14 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with you trygirl. The action/suspence sequences kept me reading at a furious pace (also helped me get through the "wordy" parts). Of course, maybe the wordy parts helped build the suspence. Just when the momentum would peak, the author would keep you guessing who or what would rescue the character by switching to a parallel chapter. Clever writing style. As trygirl wrote - it took alot of both physical and mental strength to survive the cabal (not cartel as I previously wrote - sorry).

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:13 pm

Thanks for starting us off, ladies.

At times I enjoyed the action scenes because they were written in a way that made me feel as if I was right there. I guess that comes from his experience as a playwright and screenwriter. But at other times I felt they were too wordy, at which time I’d get impatient and my mind would wander.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:23 pm

I thought the action scenes were exciting, but sometimes I had trouble following. There are only so many doors or so many twists in a hall way that I am able to keep track of on the printed page. :dunce: But it would all make excellent motion picture stuff! I think that is a problem with my mental vision rather than the author's writing.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:09 pm

They were very exciting and I was absolutely exhausted at times reading about all they survived. :stretcher: I have to say though that at times it seemed over the top. How many times did I read they simply couldn't go on but somehow managed to gather their strength and push on. (By the way the word scrabbled really began to grate on my nerves after a while...). However when I look at the intent of the novel which was originally to be a serial publication in the Victorian penny novel style, it works. Remember the old movie serials where the heroine was left tied to the train track by the evil villain twirling his moustache? That is what comes to mind.

nebraska, I agree that mansion had more doors, hallways, secret passages and floors than I could keep track of but I think it will make exciting cinema!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:20 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: However when I look at the intent of the novel which was originally to be a serial publication in the Victorian penny novel style, it works. Remember the old movie serials where the heroine was left tied to the train track by the evil villain twirling his moustache? That is what comes to mind.

What a great observation - the movie serials with evil villain twirling his moustache. :-D How well I remember those - your quote made me laugh!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:21 pm

The action sequences were very visual for me and again, I could sense Dahlquist's past as a playwright.

Jennak

Unread postby Jennak » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:02 pm

The action sequences were very good, athough it was hard to keep everything straight. It is almost impossible to figure out where you are in the house, though. I like the contrast in the ways and abilities of each of the 3 when it came to using weapons, and combat styles. Chang was very skilled, and able to use almost anything as a weapon. The doctor had some experience, and was learning more and more as he went along. And Celeste was pretty hopeless with weapons, but she learned how to use her own abilities and intuition instead.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:16 pm

Yes. I did enjoy the action scenes, especially
Spoiler! :
the finale on the airship.

Dahlquist habit of leaving everyone in a bit if a pinch actually worked well in the last action scene
Spoiler! :
because a couple of times when one character was considered a gonner , they were back when least expected.
I did rather enjoy Francis Xonch as a great action villain who gave our hero's ( especially Chang) a run for his money. He seemed the one most equal in abilities to Chang.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:38 pm

The action sequences were my favorite part of the book -- wordy or not. I was in suspense for almost all of them. I can understand the impatience some of you felt though -- he did natter on at times.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Beatrix

Unread postby Beatrix » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:11 pm

I liked the action sequences. They were well written, but sometimes I would have to read a passage over to make sure I understood where it was all happening. :-? It definitely has enough action for a movie!

Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”