Glass Books Question #9 ~ Why These 3 Ladies?

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Re: Glass Books Question #9 ~ Why These 3 Ladies?

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:01 am

nebraska wrote:
Liz wrote: But who was the third woman?

I need to get my book out and refresh my memory, but I thought the third one was the lady in red, the contessa? :perplexed:

I looked through my book tonight -- on page 20 one of the women labels them all: "The Rustick, and the Piratical, the Silken, and the Feathered -- we are all richly disguised!"

p.605 -- Miss Temple realized it was Miss Poole's eyes she poked in the carriage...so Miss Poole was the Silken

p.464 -- Miss Temple figured out that the Pirate was Caroline Stearne

I can't find the place where Miss Temple knows which one Mrs. Marchmore was; but by process of elimination, she was the Feathered.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:44 am

Thanks, Theresa! :bounce: That makes sense.

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:05 am

I’m still here – my pc at home gave up the ghost at the weekend so I’ve been busy installing a new one. Hopefully I’ll be around for the rest of the discussion!

Gemini wrote:
First, I always thought the main reason for choosing these 3 women for the final process was because they were prostitutes and would be less missed from society…………… The reason I think Miss Poole and Mrs. Marchmore were chosen for their occupation was that it was so handy to use them to seduce men into the first process……

Theresa wrote:
I wonder if Miss Poole and Mrs Marchmore were prostitutes at the Old Palace, like Angelique was?

Since that was the brothel for the rich, it's possible that these women had a lot of information and blackmail material on very prominent members of society. That would make them very useful for controlling the men after their transformation.

This was a really difficult question – and I couldn’t really come up with a plausible explanation. However I think Gemini and Theresa have summed it up very nicely. Your comments also sparked a thought that perhaps, in the back of his mind, Dahlquist used "morally objectionable” characters in order to avoid potential adverse reactions. Or perhaps he is simply taking a moral stance.
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

suec

Unread postby suec » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:54 am

I had a lot of trouble keeping track of the characters. Eventually, i stopped and made a list of who's who to avoid feeling so confused. :banghead:

Mrs Marchmoor is AKA Margaret Hope and did work at the brothel. She apparently disappeared about 4 days before, according to the brothel owner. I think that because she is the daughter of a ruined mill owner, she may stand more chance of fitting in with society than maybe some other of the women. I can't remember anything about Miss Poole's back story at all. My guess is, though, that she's very good at hanging on to the coattails of people. She enjoys having power over others and is sycophantic, so may have made herself acceptable to the group because of those qualities. Angelique is both very professional as a prostitute and discreet, as well as being less likely to be missed, having grown up in an orphanage. Except of course by Chang. Angelique is there more as an after thought because of what happened to her but I think it's significant that there are 3 of them - to offset the 3 heroes and because of the religious element going on in the story.
I think the prostiuties are chosen because of their professional expertise and insider knowledge about society. But I also think it may be relevant because they are "fallen women" as they would have been known as in Victorian times and again, it ties in with religious element that's sold to the crowd. They kind of fit in with the whore v madonna female stereotypes. And if prostitutes can become angels, anyone can.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:02 pm

gemini wrote:
Theresa wrote:I wonder if Miss Poole and Mrs Marchmore were prostitutes at the Old Palace, like Angelique was?

Since that was the brothel for the rich, it's possible that these women had a lot of information and blackmail material on very prominent members of society. That would make them very useful for controlling the men after their transformation.

That is a good point. The blue books were made to store blackmail information to be used later but it would save much time and trouble to have these ladies giving them information on who would be the best candidates.

Excellent points, you two! This seems like the most plausible explanation.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Theresa wrote: p.464 -- Miss Temple figured out that the Pirate was Caroline Stearne.

Oh yes. It's coming back to me now. How could I forget the pirate? :capnjack:

suec wrote:But I also think it may be relevant because they are "fallen women" as they would have been known as in Victorian times and again, it ties in with religious element that's sold to the crowd. They kind of fit in with the whore v madonna female stereotypes. And if prostitutes can become angels, anyone can.

Interesting theory, suec. This idea would appeal to a certain element in that crowd.

Peachy, I hope things are going smoothly with the new computer. I have been in the midst of that for about 3 weeks now. The new one was almost ready to go, and then it just turned off one day; and I wasn't able to turn it back on again. Mr. Liz is working on it. Good thing I still have my old computer.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:01 pm

I think these 3 women were chosen because they had already been "transformed" by their experiences in the brothel and were ready to transcend to another plane of consciousness. They were desperate to find another life full of respectability and social belonging. And this made them easy pickings. And they were already use to the idea of using their bodies to get what they want so giving themselves to others wouldn't be a problem. But I feel Angelique's reasons, for going along with cabal, were tad more sincere than Mrs. Marchmoor or Miss Poole's. Perhaps, she just wanted an escape into what the cabal promised...Paradise. While the others wanted money, power, and respect, she just wanted a safe place.
Or maybe they were chosen because they had the most damning sins to confess. Their profession provides the most comfortable setting for confession and powerful people [men' go to brothels. And men, when clouded with lust and sex, can reveal the most shocking things to the person in their bed. And why would they be afraid to tell such things to a whore because who would she tell? This could be the reason these women were picked for complete "transformation" because their secrets were so valuable. To be honest, I have no idea why these women were chosen but it was worth a guess. :lol:
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

Jennak

Unread postby Jennak » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:07 pm

I would agree that it was because they were all prostitutes, and ambitious for power. And, yes, they had a lot of information on their rich and powerful clients. None of them really had anything to lose by becoming involved with the cabal, even Angelique. The only real thing that sets her apart from the other 2 is that the process was interrupted with her, and plans had to be altered. And she had a backstory with Chang.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:59 pm

As always youse guys are good! :notworthy:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Beatrix

Unread postby Beatrix » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:07 pm

I was thinking on the same line as suec, that Angelique, Mrs, Marchmoor/Margaret Hooke, and Mrs. Poole were chosen because they were prostitutes and they would have secrets that would be advantageous to the cabal.

I also thought Angelique was fully transformed because they wanted to see if this level of the process worked. It wasn't that she had too much to offer and they had nothing to lose if transforming her into a human glass book failed.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:18 pm

From a storytelling standpoint, using Angelique in this way gave the reader a chance to see the emotional side of Chang's character as well.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:56 pm

Good point, DITHOT!

Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”