Glass Books Question #9 ~ Why These 3 Ladies?

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Glass Books Question #9 ~ Why These 3 Ladies?

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:43 am

I’m asking this question tonight instead of tomorrow (when it was scheduled) because some of you are already getting into this topic.....But no worries. We're just a few hours early.

Why were Mrs. Marchmoor, Mrs. Poole and Angelique specifically chosen to be completely transformed?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Glass Books Question #9 ~ Why These 3 Ladies?

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:01 pm

I'm just bringing this up to the top of the board. I'm afraid some of you missed it because I posted it last night instead of this morning.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:09 pm

You're right, Liz -- I didn't see that you had posted this question already.

Wow, I'm not sure about this one...I think Angelique was chosen because she had already been through some kind of process (not sure if it was THE Process), and it didn't work. She was dying anyway, so maybe they decided to go ahead and try the complete transformation on her.

I just finished reading the book...and now I'm going to have to go back through and try and figure out about Mrs Marchmoor and Mrs Poole. (Or wait for the answer on this thread! :grin: )

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:27 pm

Congrats on finishing the book, Theresa. :disco: I wonder how many others have now finished.

Good point about Angelique. She was expendable. But I wonder why she was initially chosen.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:21 pm

Well, I've finished the book, but I'm afraid this question has me baffled. To me, their transformation was one of the inexplicable, motive-less things I didn't understand in the book. (Why naked? Why only women?)

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:18 pm

I had trouble keeping some of these women straight from each other. :-? The group Miss Temple originally met in the coach never did become clear to me exactly .... as we discussed yesterday, a lot of these characters weren't fleshed out very well. Having so many characters in masks (and without names) introduced at the same time was a bit much for me. Perhaps that is part of the reason they were chosen, the only thing outstanding about them was their ambition and a willingness to be lead through horrible pain by promises of freedom. Other than that, they were mostly unremarkable and expendable.

Angelique, on the other hand, was an individual to me. She had at least a small amount of backstory and that gave her more motivation to get out of the situation she was in. The failed experiment was a more lengthy introduction to the character also so it was easier to remember who she was. Her connection to Chang gave him (and me) a real interest in what happened to her. That may explain why Dahlquist introduced the Angelique character; otherwise, she was pretty much like the others as far as chosing victims for the Process.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:52 pm

I too had trouble keeping all the women straight. I think all the women were expenable to the goal of the Cartel. The success of the experiment was necessary to give the Cartel power to achieve this goal. Their usefulness to the project was over. I too had more feeling for Angelique - maybe because the author seemed to be more personal with her. Or maybe because the relationship between Angelique and Chang was brought out in the story. The women were more weak and easily led than some of the other women. Back to my strong and manipulative vs. weak and submissive list.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:27 pm

Well, I haven't finished the book :sigh: so I'll have to keep reading before I can answer this question with confidence. But I've enjoyed reading everyone else's answers. I hope I can post my own soon.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:54 pm

I agree Angelique was expendable so her transformation made some sense if they had to pick someone to try it on. As for Miss Poole and Miss Marchmont their transformation made less sense to me. They seemed to be totally loyal to the cabal and willing to do any of the dirty work to succeed and gain power. Maybe they felt a complete transformation was the ultimate "success" they could aspire to as it would have made them indispensable because of their abilities. Or maybe they were chosen by the cabal against their will because they were known to be loyal. It was a :perplexed: moment for me. I kept thinking of them as the "cat" women, as they seemed almost like feral, feline animals.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:33 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I agree Angelique was expendable so her transformation made some sense if they had to pick someone to try it on. As for Miss Poole and Miss Marchmont their transformation made less sense to me. They seemed to be totally loyal to the cabal and willing to do any of the dirty work to succeed and gain power. Maybe they felt a complete transformation was the ultimate "success" they could aspire to as it would have made them indispensable because of their abilities. Or maybe they were chosen by the cabal against their will because they were known to be loyal. It was a :perplexed: moment for me. I kept thinking of them as the "cat" women, as they seemed almost like feral, feline animals.

As I mentioned in the answer to another question, I think Mrs. Marchmoor and Miss Poole were clouded by their ambition. Could it be that they volunteered because of their thirst for power and loyalty to the cabal?

I, too, had a hard time keeping them straight. I think I finally got the difference between Mrs. Marchmoor and Mrs. Poole during the chapter about the Quarry. But I never really knew for sure who was in the first carriage ride with Miss Temple until the end when it became clear to Miss Temple that Miss Poole had been there. And I think earlier she mentioned that Mrs. Marchmoor was also in the coach. But who was the third woman?

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:04 pm

Liz wrote: But who was the third woman?

I need to get my book out and refresh my memory, but I thought the third one was the lady in red, the contessa? :perplexed:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:25 pm

I thought the Contessa went off in a different carriage....with Roger. But I can't trust my memory these days.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:14 pm

Ok. I'll take a crack at this one. First, I always thought the main reason for choosing these 3 women for the final process was because they were prostitutes and would be less missed from society. This does not mean that they didn't feel joining was a step up in society and a means for gain. The final 3 blue lades were actually
Spoiler! :
A tool to use for controlling others. The first phase, which many had gone through, including the rich and famous, just made them complacent and easily controlled. The three blue ladies, Miss Poole who died,
Mrs Marshmore who disappeared to survive for the next book and
Angelique who was shot, all were of the oldest occupation in the world.
I Think Mrs. Stern was meant to be one of the 3 but since Chang happened along to ruin Angeliques first process, making her no loss to use as the guinea pig, or test run for the final process.
The reason I think Miss Poole and Mrs. Marchmore were chosen for their occupation was that it was so handy to use them to seduce men into the first process. Rememeber them both seducing Col. Aspiche and Dr Lorence at the dinnertable where the Dr. stumbled into the hotel with the Contessa.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:36 pm

I wonder if Miss Poole and Mrs Marchmore were prostitutes at the Old Palace, like Angelique was?

Since that was the brothel for the rich, it's possible that these women had a lot of information and blackmail material on very prominent members of society. That would make them very useful for controlling the men after their transformation.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:43 pm

Theresa wrote:I wonder if Miss Poole and Mrs Marchmore were prostitutes at the Old Palace, like Angelique was?

Since that was the brothel for the rich, it's possible that these women had a lot of information and blackmail material on very prominent members of society. That would make them very useful for controlling the men after their transformation.

That is a good point. The blue books were made to store blackmail information to be used later but it would save much time and trouble to have these ladies giving them information on who would be the best candidates.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”