Glass Books Question #8 ~ The Women

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Re: Glass Books Question #8 ~ The Women

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 pm

Just a quick thought on the backstories...sneaking in for a moment from work... :shhh: Perhaps we will learn more in the sequels. Maybe Dahlquist was just telling us enough to get us interested in the characters and will dole out more information in coming volumes. :eyebrow:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:59 pm

One can only hope, DITHOT. That is a frequent occurrence in sequels. :hope:

teacher, I did not like the Contessa one bit. This is how I viewed her throughout the entire book….like the evil queen in Snow White.

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

teacher

Unread postby teacher » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:19 pm

Liz :lol:
True, that's who she's probably like, but I prefer clever mean girls to naive little maidens in distress.
Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tom Wingfield, Glass Menagerie

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:38 pm

teacher wrote:Liz :lol:
True, that's who she's probably like, but I prefer clever mean girls to naive little maidens in distress.

Teacher, like you Miss Temple was not my favorite type of person but I also didn't like the Contessa, not so much because she was strong or clever but because she was cruel. That is why I gave up on the women in this story and put all my interest in Chang. Does this say something about me that I dislike traits in women that I can accept in men?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:20 pm

gemini wrote:

Teacher, like you Miss Temple was not my favorite type of person but I also didn't like the Contessa, not so much because she was strong or clever but because she was cruel. That is why I gave up on the women in this story and put all my interest in Chang. Does this say something about me that I dislike traits in women that I can accept in men?

But I don't see Chang as evil. I can think of a few other characters (men) in this book that are equally as evil as the Contessa....Crabbe, Aspiche, Dr. Lorenz, the Comte--I had lovely (not) pictures of them in my mind too. Picture the Beadle in Sweeney Todd.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Liz wrote:
gemini wrote:

But I don't see Chang as evil. I can think of a few other characters (men) in this book that are equally as evil as the Contessa....Crabbe, Aspiche, Dr. Lorenz, the Comte--I had lovely (not) pictures of them in my mind too. Picture the Beadle in Sweeney Todd.

I didn't think of Chang as evil either. I was too taken with him. I did feel guilty for disliking the women for being creul or killers when Chang did it as his occupation and had no qualms about it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:40 pm

gemini wrote:
Liz wrote:
gemini wrote: Teacher, like you Miss Temple was not my favorite type of person but I also didn't like the Contessa, not so much because she was strong or clever but because she was cruel. That is why I gave up on the women in this story and put all my interest in Chang. Does this say something about me that I dislike traits in women that I can accept in men?

I didn't think of Chang as evil either. I was too taken with him. I did feel guilty for disliking the women for being creul or killers when Chang did it as his occupation and had no qualms about it.

Ah, there’s that ambivalence again. ;-)

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:11 pm

And the question of casting looms on everyone's minds and we are all SO good! :capnjack:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:53 pm

nebraska wrote:And the question of casting looms on everyone's minds and we are all SO good! :capnjack:

YOU NOODLEMANTRAS ARE EXTREMELY GOOD GIRLS!—even when I taunt you. :mwahaha: I thank and applaud you ALL for your restraint. :notworthy:

Jennak

Unread postby Jennak » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:20 am

I agree with the others. The women in this book are sad. They are obviously created by a man. The 2 male main characters are so much better developed.

teacher

Unread postby teacher » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:34 am

Liz wrote:
gemini wrote:

Oh, yes I agree with that. I think Chang is just a pragmatic with less-than-perfect cards in his hand. The Contessa is most certainly cruel and evil, she seems to take pleasure in causing harm - the other men are simply greedy. As to what liking that kind of a character says about me.. well, let's not go there :lol:
Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tom Wingfield, Glass Menagerie

Linda B.

Unread postby Linda B. » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:14 pm

I'm finally getting far enough into this book to feel as if I can say something worthwhile.

I actually am enjoying the female characters. I like Miss Temple very much, and feel she is very realistic. I like that she is fearful & strong, anxious & sure, willful & willing. She seems to me to be very complex - and I like the respect she has garnered from the surrounding male characters.

Miss Marchmont(forgive my spelling - I'm very bad) - seems very vague, but then once she's gone through the process, she would be wouldn't she??

The Contessa (Rosamund, is it?) is very strong & very vain. I don't like her but I do think she is a well drawn character.

As I get further & further into this wonderful novel - I'm really like the style & think the characters are done very well.

-Just my humble opinion - and I apologize for seeming opposite to most opinion.
"It's OK to be different, it's good to be different, we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color."

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:45 pm

Liz wrote:
gemini wrote:
Liz wrote:But I don't see Chang as evil. I can think of a few other characters (men) in this book that are equally as evil as the Contessa....Crabbe, Aspiche, Dr. Lorenz, the Comte--I had lovely (not) pictures of them in my mind too. Picture the Beadle in Sweeney Todd.

Ah, there’s that ambivalence again. ;-)

Ah yes that ambivalence. So true Liz, It describes my feeling towards life in all respects. That love- hate or ying= yang towards all aspects of life. It is what I have in common with Johnny being a Gemini. Of couse I don't usually think of it so intelligently, I just say fickle.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:51 pm

Linda B. wrote:I'm finally getting far enough into this book to feel as if I can say something worthwhile.

I actually am enjoying the female characters. I like Miss Temple very much, and feel she is very realistic. I like that she is fearful & strong, anxious & sure, willful & willing. She seems to me to be very complex - and I like the respect she has garnered from the surrounding male characters.

Miss Marchmont(forgive my spelling - I'm very bad) - seems very vague, but then once she's gone through the process, she would be wouldn't she??

The Contessa (Rosamund, is it?) is very strong & very vain. I don't like her but I do think she is a well drawn character.

As I get further & further into this wonderful novel - I'm really like the style & think the characters are done very well.

-Just my humble opinion - and I apologize for seeming opposite to most opinion.

Don't ever apologize for having an opposite opinion. If we all agreed on every topic it wouldn't be much of a discussion and we wouldn't enjoy looking at the story from each other's perspective and where would be the fun in that?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:16 pm

Well said, gemini! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”