Glass Books Question #7 ~ Miss Temple Splits

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Glass Books Question #7 ~ Miss Temple Splits

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 pm

On pg. 264 Miss Temple abandons Cardinal Chang and Dr. Svenson to go off on her own. At the time, what were your thoughts about this leap of independence, what it might cause her and how it might affect the story?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: Glass Books Question #7 ~ Miss Temple Splits

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:52 pm

I thought it was rash, foolish, and inconsistent with her situation and experience. I could see her being upset, I could even understand her being angry with herself.......but to rush off on her own didn't flow naturally for me -- but then this was fantasy so I guess one needs to suspend disbelief. When she went running off, I thought perhaps the book was going to become mostly about Chang and the doctor searching for her and trying to rescue her. I was more upset by the idea that the other two split up to look for her. That just seemed to compound the problem (and the lack of logic). No cel phones, no walkie talkies, when they separated they took the risk of not being able to make connections again.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:52 pm

I agree with Nebraska, it was a rash and foolish idea. Miss Temple bases her decisions on emotions and matters of the heart. She's fine pretending to be one of the guys until it comes to Roger and her feelings of loss romance. And while I respect her spunk, her stupid decision put them all in danger. She's desperate to proves she's not a "weak" woman but then runs off like a little girl. I realize that she's hurting but her new independence is born out of selfishness.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:58 pm

I believe this was a most pivotal time in the story for Miss Temple. She felt much a part of this trio and thought that she and Chang were alike in their loneness. But then she found out that Chang had feelings in his heart for Angelique. She might have hoped that he had a tender spot for her. And of course Dr. Svenson cared about his prince. Suddenly feeling isolated and alone she wanted to prove she was an equal. So without giving much thought to her own safety - off she went. She was much different now and going forward in the story. This was a careless thing to do - but the story really takes off from this point.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:32 pm

I also thought her running off was childish and from their situation it was dangerous and foolish. I thought the cause of her change in plans was her feelings towards Chang. As she had been trying to convince Change that Angelique may not be dead she saw hope in him and she realized he loved her. Up to this point she had imagined an attraction coming from Chang. In Dahlquest own words this threw her into distress.
This was so disturbing to her after her recent rejection by Roger that I think she felt a surge of independence and wanted to show them all.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:56 pm

I thought she was acting like a spoiled child who didn’t get her way. So she was going to go off and prove herself. At the time, I was angry with her for being so childish and foolish. However, as ladylinn points out, this is where the story takes off. So many times when I am watching a movie I get angry with the characters for “doing something stupid”. But I then realize that the story would not be as exciting otherwise. If the trio had remained together we would not have had such interesting adventures to read.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:27 am

Liz wrote:
I thought she was acting like a spoiled child who didn’t get her way. So she was going to go off and prove herself. At the time, I was angry with her for being so childish and foolish. However, as ladylinn points out, this is where the story takes off. So many times when I am watching a movie I get angry with the characters for “doing something stupid”. But I then realize that the story would not be as exciting otherwise. If the trio had remained together we would not have had such interesting adventures to read.

I felt just the same - I was really angry when she ran off. However I absolutely agree that it gave impetus to the rest of the story - the format of whereby we follow each character in turn really added to the suspense and interest. If Miss Temple had not taken off, I wonder whether Svenson and Chang would have split up.

I must say however, that I did forgive her mostly. She certainly proved that she was feisty and capable in her own right -
Spoiler! :
albeit true that she needed rescuing
, she managed to fully contribute to the team effort.
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

Beatrix

Unread postby Beatrix » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:35 pm

I was disappointed when she left them. It seemed irrational, to leave at that point. I thought Celeste was putting them all in even more danger, but I guess that was the point.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:43 pm

Beatrix wrote:I was disappointed when she left them. It seemed irrational, to leave at that point. I thought Celeste was putting them all in even more danger, but I guess that was the point.
Gotta keep the conflict going, to keep the plot moving along. If I'd been in her shoes (or green boots!) I'd have written off Roger as soon as I received his letter, and there would have been no book!

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:44 pm

I was surprised the author brought all the characters together so briefly. I felt Miss Temple's departure was unrealistically abrupt and inconsistent with her character. Now I'm further on with the book, I can see how this has served the plot, but I still think it was clumsy.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:13 pm

Just a brief observation...every time I see this thread go across the scroll, it looks like it's titled "Miss Temple Spits" and not Splits!

Okay, sorry...back to the serious discussion.
:grin:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:56 pm

:lol: I could see why she spit...er I mean split...from the rest of the group in regards to her character and especially in regards to the plot. As someone else mentioned I had hoped they would get back together sooner than they did but then I realized this all took place over what...3 days?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:59 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: :lol: I could see why she spit...er I mean split...from the rest of the group in regards to her character and especially in regards to the plot. As someone else mentioned I had hoped they would get back together sooner than they did but then I realized this all took place over what...3 days?

I was completely shocked when I read somewhere right at the end of the book that it had only been two or three days for the entire story to take place. So much had happened, I guess I just assumed a much longer period.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:04 pm

I don't want to get into future question territory here so I'll just say that they packed a lot into a few days!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:24 am

Theresa wrote:Just a brief observation...every time I see this thread go across the scroll, it looks like it's titled "Miss Temple Spits" and not Splits!

Okay, sorry...back to the serious discussion.
:grin:

Made me look. :freaked: I thought I had misspelled it. :lol:

Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”