Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
Lucky13
Posts: 2027
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:51 pm
Location: Riding Shotgun with Dillinger

Status: Offline

Re: Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

Unread postby Lucky13 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:13 pm

Like Theresa, I thought I missed it and then became frustrated when I couldn't locate it. Possibly it was meant to be a "mystery" and each reader would use their imagination to create the perfect location. I guess I never really thought about definite location........
~ Yah, I wanna take that ride with you!

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

Jennak
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: Following that Horizon

Status: Offline

Re: Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

Unread postby Jennak » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:49 pm

IngridN wrote:The author wanted to be free of specific boundaries so it would be easier for him to make things up without too much investigation.

For me the setting of the story is East Anglia and it’s coastline. I already had that thought from very early on in the book and East Anglia has salt marshes too!!

Also when you want to cross the sea by Zeppelin to Macklenburg (which in my imagination is the historical state of Mecklenburg, nowadays called Mecklenburg Vorpommern in North Eastern Germany) the east coast would be the best place to take off. Across the North Sea over The Netherlands to Mecklenburg in one straight line.

This region also makes sense because Doctor Svenson talks about the Baltic states which are A bit futher to the north east.
:blush:


This was the general impression I had too. I visualize Mecklenburg as Svenson's home. Also, his name being nordic would fit with that location.

User avatar
gemini
Posts: 3907
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:28 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Status: Offline

Re: Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

Unread postby gemini » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:21 pm

Liz wrote:I, too, thought that the setting was in England, at first. But then as I continued to read my mind would go to places like Belgium, Luxumburg or Austria. I had a hard time with the fact that it is imaginary. When it comes to settings, I have this unusual need to have a realistic frame of reference to be able to visualize it in my mind as I read it.

This Glass Books trailer was just emailed to me this morning from Bantam Dell Publishing Group. Perfect timing for this question, as it gives us a visual.




[youtube]TN4iRRGBLvE[/youtube]



While I was perusing your post with the link you providied of the trailer Liz, I found myself drawn to the photo of the next installment "The Dark Volume". and went in search of a book description. I found several at book clubs and amazon. I have a thing for reading all the books in a series. I am dying for some closer but....... I am afraid there will also be a 3rd book.

Some comments I disliked..in The Dark Volume reviews.......
Spoiler! :
The book manages to be even more epic in feel than Glass Books, too, partly because the heroes (as they often are in book two of trilogies) have gone their separate ways and are converging on their desperate denouement

Some made me want to go buy it............
Spoiler! :
I never thought I could love Cardinal Chang more than I did at the end of the 1st book, but I do now.


As for the lack of known cities and places in Glass books the Dark Volume was described as

But Dahlquist's secret is that, while he focuses on the fantastic, he makes excellent use of sporadic references to reality (various places around Europe are named for example). Somehow this makes the darkness even more disturbing.
Last edited by gemini on Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:19 am

Lucky13 wrote:Like Theresa, I thought I missed it and then became frustrated when I couldn't locate it. Possibly it was meant to be a "mystery" and each reader would use their imagination to create the perfect location. I guess I never really thought about definite location........

I thought that I had missed it also.


I thought I’d share a bit about this subject from an interview with Dahlquist from Bookreporter.com.



How did you plot the locations for this novel? Did you map out the city? Draw diagrams of the Manor? Visit a dirigible?

All of these, especially the city itself, were made up entirely as I went along. As the novel itself was written without any free-standing outline, the locations evolved as the action required—neighborhoods in the city being fleshed-out as the characters needed to pass through, the various wings and floors in Harschmort House filled in as the action expanded through them. The dirigible is based on later airships, giving the cabal the benefit of the doubt in allowing them to be a bit ahead of their time. I knew I didn't want the city to be any one place—explicitly London, or Paris, or Amsterdam—so I particularly enjoyed making up place-names. I think the only real bit of research I did for the book was to find out when the mango made it to the New World (16th century in Brazil, as it happens), to see whether Miss Temple might have eaten them as a child in the Caribbean.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 28501
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Online

Re: Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:30 am

Liz wrote: When it comes to settings, I have this unusual need to have a realistic frame of reference to be able to visualize it in my mind as I read it.


I am not well-traveled enough or even a student of geography for this to be a problem for me. Even when we have tid bits with pictures of locations in a book, I still need to make up the setting in my own mind.

I comment only because I find it amazing how different we all are. :cool: That is no doubt why I learn so much here.

User avatar
Charlie
Posts: 3480
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:51 am
Location: England

Status: Offline

Re: Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

Unread postby Charlie » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:18 am

I'm not as yet very far into the book but like many have said in the opening chapters I hadn't realised the location hadn't been specified and I had only assumed London

Unfortunately my copy has an image on the book jacket of 'a creature' which put me off rather as I much prefer to see things with my imagination and go where it takes me.
Stay true to your path and make a positive difference to the lives of those you touch.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Re: Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:34 am

Liz, interesting that he made it up as he went along and realized what the characters needed to move through the story. I would never have been able to keep it straight. I wonder if he did diagrams of the streets and the castle.

Charlie, what sort of creature?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Peachy
Posts: 594
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:41 am
Location: Milan, Italy

Status: Offline

Re: Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

Unread postby Peachy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:39 am

****SPOILERS****


Gemini wrote:
While I was perusing your post with the link you providied of the trailer Liz, I found myself drawn to the photo of the next installment "The Dark Volume". and went in search of a book description. I found several at book clubs and amazon. I have a thing for reading all the books in a series. I am dying for some closer but....... I am afraid there will also be a 3rd book.

Some comments I disliked..in The Dark Volume reviews.......
Spoiler! :
The book manages to be even more epic in feel than Glass Books, too, partly because the heroes (as they often are in book two of trilogies) have gone their separate ways and are converging on their desperate denouement


Some made me want to go buy it............
Spoiler! :
I never thought I could love Cardinal Chang more than I did at the end of the 1st book, but I do now.



I know I'm a little off topic, but I have just finished the Dark volume (couldn't resist buying it - I was at a loss when I finished The Glass Books!).
Spoiler! :
I enjoyed it but was disappointed that our three heroes went their separate ways for most of it, but I do agree that I loved Chang even more. There has just got to be a third book though because the Dark Volume is a cliffhanger...
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

Unread postby Liz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:42 pm

nebraska wrote:
Liz wrote: When it comes to settings, I have this unusual need to have a realistic frame of reference to be able to visualize it in my mind as I read it.


I am not well-traveled enough or even a student of geography for this to be a problem for me. Even when we have tid bits with pictures of locations in a book, I still need to make up the setting in my own mind.

I comment only because I find it amazing how different we all are. :cool: That is no doubt why I learn so much here.

Nebraska, I have not been anywhere in Europe except in books and in movies. And I haven’t studied half of it. I think it is more a matter of just knowing if it is a real place. It is really all psychological or how my brain works. If I know it is a real place or that he is using a real place as a model I seem to be able to visualize the setting better. Fortunately, in the case of this book, I finally got used to the idea of it being totally imaginary by the time I was half way through.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
teacher
Posts: 3395
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:37 pm
Location: Macedonia

Status: Offline

Re: Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

Unread postby teacher » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:14 pm

Liz, I know exactly what you mean, and I'm not very well traveled either. That's why I said it was frustrating to not know where the action took place, I even caught myself several times following Chang and Miss Temple around St. Pauls in London (! - don't ask me why, I have no idea), even after I realised it was a fictional place. It's just an internal need, maybe even a training from other books I've read.
Drafting out the locations as the characters moved may have worked for the exteriors, but Harchmont.... I would dare anyone to make a sketch of a house with so many corridors and spiralling staircases. :-|
Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tom Wingfield, Glass Menagerie

User avatar
gemini
Posts: 3907
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:28 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Status: Offline

Re: Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

Unread postby gemini » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:20 pm

Peachy wrote:****SPOILERS****


Gemini wrote:
While I was perusing your post with the link you providied of the trailer Liz, I found myself drawn to the photo of the next installment "The Dark Volume". and went in search of a book description. I found several at book clubs and amazon. I have a thing for reading all the books in a series. I am dying for some closer but....... I am afraid there will also be a 3rd book.

Some comments I disliked..in The Dark Volume reviews.......
Spoiler! :
The book manages to be even more epic in feel than Glass Books, too, partly because the heroes (as they often are in book two of trilogies) have gone their separate ways and are converging on their desperate denouement


Some made me want to go buy it............
Spoiler! :
I never thought I could love Cardinal Chang more than I did at the end of the 1st book, but I do now.



I know I'm a little off topic, but I have just finished the Dark volume (couldn't resist buying it - I was at a loss when I finished The Glass Books!).
Spoiler! :
I enjoyed it but was disappointed that our three heroes went their separate ways for most of it, but I do agree that I loved Chang even more. There has just got to be a third book though because the Dark Volume is a cliffhanger...



Uh Oh... I see by your post that I did a no no. I keep forgetting some of us are still reading the book and I should have put SPOILERs up before my comments on The Dark volume. Although just the fact that the next book in the series is for sale tells us the three main characters are there for another round. What upsets me is that there will be one after Dark Volume from its reviews so I will have two more to read and may still not get my ending. I hate cliffhangers. Sorry 3 whacks with a wet noodle. I will try to be more considerate because I do know this was no easy book to fly through.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers



Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Re: Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:03 pm

gemini, no wet noodle needed! If anyone wants to post about the next installment in the series just be sure to mark it as a spoiler.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Theresa
JDZ Webmaster
Posts: 26622
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005 1:21 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Status: Offline

Re: Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:16 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:gemini, no wet noodle needed! If anyone wants to post about the next installment in the series just be sure to mark it as a spoiler.

Or better yet, use the new "Spoiler" button to hide any obvious spoilers. That way, no one can even accidentally read something they weren't wanting to see.

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Re: Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:56 pm

Good suggestion. Thanks, theresa! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Beatrix
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:28 pm

Status: Offline

Re: Glass Books #2 ~ Setting?

Unread postby Beatrix » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:43 pm

I wrote a comment this evening before I read the quote from the Dahlquist interview:

Like Peachy, I think there could have been various reasons to leave the locales up to the reader’s imagination. It definitely gives more creative freedom to a writer developing a story.

At first I thought the story was set in Britain because of the proximity to Germany and other countries. The further I was into the book, the less I tried to pinpoint a location. I was trying to keep the characters straight and trying to figure out where the story was going.
Last edited by Beatrix on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest