Glass Books Question #1 ~ A Departure

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Glass Books Question #1 ~ A Departure

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:27 am

Noodlemantra’s, welcome to the discussion and Happy New Year.

Before we embark on our discussion of this fascinating book, let me just remind you of the guidelines, as it were….. :capnjack:

• Please try to keep your answers to the question of the day so as not to discuss the entire book at once!

• Feel free to go back and contribute to any question at any time during the discussion.

• And the #1 ONBC RULE: THERE ARE NO WRONG ANSWERS--Only ideas and discussion. :ONBC:

So without further ado, I give you our first question….

This book is such a departure from the books ONBC has read in the past because of its lack of reference to or basis in reality. Was this a welcome change?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Jackslady

Re: Glass Books Question #1

Unread postby Jackslady » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:36 pm

This is not easy for me to answer, because this is the first book discussion I have been able to join for a long time.

I'm still reading Glass Books, but I am a good way along with it now so I'm hoping to be able to contribute here and there.

I will say that this book is unlike anything I've ever read before - I find it hugely imaginative, and an enjoyable change from my normal fiction choices (romance novels, traditional historical fiction).
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Peachy

Unread postby Peachy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:01 pm

Like JacksLady, this is the first discussion for a while that I have been able to particpate in (time constraints!) so it's a hard question to answer.
However what I can say is that this book was very different to my usual reads, and I probably would not have even considered it had it not been on the ONBC list. I think I would have been put off by the reviews. I'm very glad to have read it, it 's a real rollercoaster and so yes, ultimately it is a welcome change!

Looking forward to the discussion!
"If I'm going do to this for a living I want to at least provoke a thought or make someone look at something, however subtle, from another perspective." (JD on acting).

IngridN

Unread postby IngridN » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:05 pm

I like the genre and the story started off ok, but for me it was NOT a page-turner.
At a certain point there are so many characters and parties connected to each other, each with their own plans and schemes.
For me this was not an easy read and I really had to force myself to finish it. :blush: :sigh:
"We are always the same age inside." Gertrude Stein

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:30 pm

Well, this is also my first time participating in the ONBC discussion because I'm fairly new here at the zone :blush: But I must say that The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters is unlike anything I've ever read. It's the perfect balance of science, fantasy, eroticism, mystery, romance, etc. It has definitely become a page turner for me. :reader: However, like Peachy, I probably wouldn't have considered reading it if wasn't on the book club list. Although, my enjoyment of the book has been a welcome surprise. And I while I haven't finished it, I still hope to add to future discussions. :grin:
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:32 pm

Welcome everyone new and returning! It's good to see you here! :bounce:

We have read so many different books here but I dont' recall any that could be considered science fiction (well maybe Good Omens and Club Duams) so I enjoyed the new style. When you consider our next read is Parallel Worlds we are really covering the spectrum!
:-O
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

teacher

Unread postby teacher » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:33 pm

I read the first 100-150 pages looking like this :-O, not quite knowing what it was I was reading or where it was supposed to take me, especially knowing it was meant to be filmed. I haven't read too many ONBC books so I'm not sure how big a change it is from the usual ONBCread, but it's very different from my normal read. It was a pleasant surprise in the first half, but it got a bit tedious in the second. Anyway, I'm glad I read it with the ONBC because I otherwise probably wouldn't have. Parallel Worlds, however, might be too much for me :blush:
Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tom Wingfield, Glass Menagerie

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:56 pm

I had actually bought it a long time ago (and before we knew there was a Johnny connection). I confess I was attracted by the elaborate art work/illustrations that were included with the UK hardback version - this even included a paper mask for use as a bookmark...the whole thing just intrigued me

I too, haven't found it the easiest read in the world, though I have enjoyed a lot of Dahlquist's descriptive passages - the early scene where Miss Temple enters the underground station for example, vivid and sinister..this was when I began to be drawn in to the story.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:07 pm

I enjoyed this book and found it an easy read but I normally read a fair amount of science fiction, so it wasn't really a change for me.
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

suec

Unread postby suec » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Initially, the book was a very welcome change. I was expecting to enjoy it very much and was generally looking forward to something less rooted in reality. I expected it to be the kind of book I like generally. But I really didn't like it - or more acurately, I disliked parts of it, which ended up affecting my overall perception very strongly. I found it a real struggle to continue reading in places.
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:49 pm

This will be my first reading with ONBC. As I started to read, it was at times difficult. But as the characters began to come into view and then entertwine it was much easier to follow. And as I got further into the story I was hooked and began reading more earnestly. Enjoyed the challenge of the book and am looking forward to the discussions.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Glass Books Question #1 ~ A Departure

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:54 pm

I’m glad to see so many of you here ready to participate in this discussion. :bounce: I also find it interesting that there is such diversity in your answers. That always makes it interesting. :cool:

Initially (as in the first few pages) I had a hard time getting into Glass Books. But it had grabbed me from the time she entered the carriage heading toward Harschmort House. It is not the type of book that I would normally read. I tend to prefer books rooted in the real world. And I generally shy away from books over 500 pages. But some of my favorite books were long ones (Shantaram, Poisonwood Bible, The Stand). Thank goodness it was a page-turner for me, being the size that it was. The selections that we have chosen (or I guess I should say Johnny has chosen) have all been interesting and ones that I would not normally choose on my own. And I have to say that all but a couple of them have been enjoyable reads.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:12 pm

LIZ wrote:The selections that we have chosen (or I guess I should say Johnny has chosen) have all been interesting and ones that I would not normally choose on my own. And I have to say that all but a couple of them have been enjoyable reads.

I agree,there are several books we have read that I probably never would have picked up, but I have enjoyed reading most of them. So I have ONBC and Johnny to thank for expanding my horizons and The Noodlemantras for the interesting discussions of those books. :goodvibes:
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:50 pm

I didn't get my copy until right before the holidays, so I still have many pages to go... but it captured my imagination right at the beginning and I was quite unhappy to come back to work today... cuts into my reading time! I've been reading more literary fantasy lately, so this has not been a problem for me... I have a feeling, though, that it's going become more and more fantastical (is that a word??) the further I get into it!

re: ONBC books have been broadening my horizons for years!! And I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't always participate in the discussions, but I read every book and follow along... Some of my favorite books have come from ONBC. Most were ones that I would never have discovered on my own... I can't imagine my reading life without Tom Robbins and Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates (and further reading on my own of Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, and others)... and Shantaram! Wouldn't have missed reading that one for anything! and, and, and... the list goes on...
Although I do wonder about Parallel Worlds. Bought it yesterday... guess we'll all just have to trust Johnny... he hasn't led us astray yet! :cool:
bluebird
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:58 pm

bluebird wrote: I can't imagine my reading life without Tom Robbins and Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates (and further reading on my own of Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, and others)... and Shantaram! Wouldn't have missed reading that one for anything! and, and, and... the list goes on...
bluebird

I was surprised that Hunter and Robbins had stayed under my radar for most of my life. I can't imagine going through life without having read them. What a loss that would have been!

Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”