Fun with Miss Temple and Cardinal Chang

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Fun with Miss Temple and Cardinal Chang

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:36 pm

Is everyone getting ready for the beginning of our discussion of Glass Books of the Dream Eaters tomorrow? :bounce:

In preparation here is a little game on the Random House site. It takes some practice and patience to get going and it can be a bit addicting when you do! Thanks to theresa for sending me the original link!
:cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

suec

Re: Fun with Miss Temple and Cardinal Chang

Unread postby suec » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:55 pm

Well I have read the book at least, at break-neck speed in an effort to catch up. I'll try the game. I am looking forward to this new discussion!
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:05 pm

Hope you didn't get reader's whiplash, suec! :lol: We're glad you will be back to join us!! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:27 pm

Well It seems I am too stupid to play this game. I tried Cardinal Chang and it didn't like anything I typed in. Once in awhile I got somewhere with yes or no but still hit a dead end where it always said "I dont understand what you mean." At one point I got so annoyed I typed what I thought of the game and it understood me and answered "Real adventurers do not use such language." So much for me! I guess you can see with my language why I chose Cardinal Chang instead of Miss Temple.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:34 pm

:lol: gemini, the game makers must have anticipated some "language"?

I started with Miss Temple and it took me a bit to get the hang of it. I did finally notice that the provided text gave me clues as to where I should go, north, south, etc., but I admit it took a bit of doing!
:parrot:

Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:12 pm

Boy, talk about a dead end! I tried playing Chang, and got stabbed by a begger....end of game! I guess I turned the wrong way. :grin:

I had forgotten about these games...when we got our very first computers at work they had a game called Adventure on them, and it was like this...just words, no pictures. (Of course, back then, the computers didn't have the ability to display pictures on them....)

I'm running behind on getting this book read...only halfway through so far. It's a good thing we don't have to be finished to join in on the start of the discussion.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:59 am

I haven't even attempted the game yet. I've been playing Wii Fit with my kids instead. But I will give it a go this week as my life eases back into normalcy.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:44 am

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who had trouble with this game! I would be a terrible adventuress.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:35 am

nebraska, I would be too if it involved choosing the right word! :lol:

Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:46 am

Talk about not being an adventurer - I can't even get the game to start! :censored: Any simple hints? :banghead:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:29 pm

I think you have to type the word begin down where the prompt is. I had the same problem. The first time I tried Cardinal Chang it took a few tries.

Wow! What a ride!

IngridN

Unread postby IngridN » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:42 pm

gemini wrote:At one point I got so annoyed I typed what I thought of the game and it understood me and answered "Real adventurers do not use such language." So much for me! I guess you can see with my language why I chose Cardinal Chang instead of Miss Temple.

I got the same reply :blush: I used a hint and I was told that buying drinks for everyone would make a lot of fiends. :toastingpirates:
OK, so I wanted to order drinks, but that was not easy at all and after trying and trying .. and trying .. and trying AND TRYING I got so frustrated that I also could not resist to tell them what I thought of this game :censored: oops :blush:
"We are always the same age inside." Gertrude Stein

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:12 pm

OK. I really have to give this game a try now.... :freaked:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”