GLASS BOOKS at ONBC - An Amendment

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

teacher

Re: GLASS BOOKS TO RING IN THE NEW YEAR AT ONBC

Unread postby teacher » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:56 pm

Done! Just ordered mine, my first-ever Amazon order, as they would never accept my credit cards before.
What's funny is that I came across an audio-book, read by Alfred Molina. It's really a small world, isn't it?
Thanks Theresa for the excerpt. :cool:
Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tom Wingfield, Glass Menagerie

San

Unread postby San » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:00 pm

fansmom wrote:
San wrote:I have a question for those who already read it.
I want to read this book, but now I must make the decission if I gonna read it in English or in Dutch.
My question is, is it written in very complicated English or is it easy to follow.
I find out that it is no fun to read a book where you need the dictionairy for every 10th word.
Books I read without a problem in English were Inamorata and What's eating Gilbert Grape. Public enemies was to do for me, but gave more difficulties.

Thanks in advance.
San

San, I've read all the ONBC books, and from the little I've read of this one, I'd recommend you read this one in Dutch, if possible. The words are simple, but the syntax is difficult. The sentences are long and complicated.

If' you've read anything from the 19th century in English (Charles Dickens, Mark Twain), you might want to attempt this in English, but it's very different from Inamorata or What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Hmm, Ok that make sense.
I have read Wuthering Heights in English and that was hard, but that was 20 years or so ago and I think my English has improved since then.
I think I gonna try it in English, as a good challenge and If I fail, I give in and read it in Dutch.
Thanks!
Art has to be forgotten: Beauty must be realised ~ ~ Piet Mondriaan (1872 -1944)

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:42 pm

A little help here. I see there are two volumes on amazon. I bought a used hardcover before I realized this so since it doesn't say I assumed it is volume 1.
You know what they say about that word!
The one listed as volume one in paperback has a different cover than the hardback I bought and it has a preorder date of December 30, 2008. The paperback of volume 2 is released on January 27, 2009. Now I am not sure what I bought.
Any idea?
Are we discussing one or both? Should I consider the volume 2 in paperback?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:44 pm

gemini wrote:A little help here. I see there are two volumes on amazon. I bought a used hardcover before I realized this so since it doesn't say I assumed it is volume 1.
You know what they say about that word!
The one listed as volume one in paperback has a different cover than the hardback I bought and it has a preorder date of December 30, 2008. The paperback of volume 2 is released on January 27, 2009. Now I am not sure what I bought.
Any idea?
Are we discussing one or both? Should I consider the volume 2 in paperback?

THANK YOU GEMINI for catching that! I see we have a little issue here. My hardback is almost 800 pages. So is the original paperback that was apparently released in August of this month (???) But that is unavailable now. And the one selling as a pre-order in December has half the number of pages as the orig. paperback. Seems that they have pulled them back for re-printing as two different books. But I hesitate to make a final decision or give any advice until I look into this further tomorrow. This could put off the date of the discussion. Not sure. If you haven't already ordered your book, hold off for now. We'll get back to you as soon as we know more.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: GLASS BOOKS at ONBC - An Amendment

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:53 pm

Can someone explain the Johnny connection please?

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:00 pm

nebraska wrote:Can someone explain the Johnny connection please?

From the Zone's home page (but sorry, the "click here" thingies don't work)--

Jayson Rothwell has been hired to adapt Gordon Dahlquist's novel THE GLASS BOOKS OF THE DREAM EATERS for Warner Bros. and Johnny Depp's Infinitum Nihil, according to Borys Kit of the Hollywood Reporter. Dahlquist's debut novel is a suspenseful intrigue set in Victorian London: "a big juicy epic that will appeal to [. . .] lovers of literary fantasy," says Amazon, while Publishers Weekly sees echoes of Sherlock Holmes and Jane Eyre. You can read more about THE GLASS BOOKS OF THE DREAM EATERS on the Zone's News & Views forum, and on this website. To read the Hollywood Reporter story, which focuses on several of Jayson Rothwell's projects, CLICK HERE. The Zone thanks Theresa and Joni for sharing the news; THE GLASS BOOKS OF THE DREAM EATERS is a fascinating read. --Part-Time Poet

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:01 pm

I'm so sorry for not spelling that out. :blush: Here is the link to the story.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Jennak

Unread postby Jennak » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:49 am

I can't seem to get this to post. Weird. :-?

I went to my local bookstore today, looking for the book. They told me the hardcover copies had been returned to the publisher, to be remaindered. And the paperback due out this month was never released. Instead, the publisher is issuing the paperback in 2 volumes, probably because of the length. :-O

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:02 am

Jennak, thanks for the info. I had a feeling that's what was happening. But why would they remove the hardbacks? I called Amazon tonight, and, as usual, they were clueless. Tomorrow I will be calling the publisher to make sure we have the full story. Then we will decide what to do.

Jennak

Unread postby Jennak » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:27 am

I'm guessing they returned the hardcovers in anticipation of the paperback's release. And then the paperback never materialized. A sticky situation that needs sorting. :investigate:

teacher

Unread postby teacher » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:43 am

Liz wrote:Jennak, thanks for the info. I had a feeling that's what was happening. But why would they remove the hardbacks? I called Amazon tonight, and, as usual, they were clueless. Tomorrow I will be calling the publisher to make sure we have the full story. Then we will decide what to do.

Like I said, I ordered it yesterday, but from amazon.co.uk. I checked amazon.com first and it was only available for preorder, or as a used hardcover - which they don't ship where I am - or in two volumes. www.amazon.co.uk has a paperback in stock, about 784 pages long for 5.14 pounds, and also some used ones starting at 1.49 pounds (). So you can order it from there. I don't understand why it's not available on the other site, since they all ship from the US.
Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tom Wingfield, Glass Menagerie

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:50 pm

Liz wrote:

I'm so sorry for not spelling that out. :blush: Here is the link to the story.

Thanks, fansmom and Liz. I don't always make it any further on the Zone than ONBC so I had not seen this story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:10 pm

Liz wrote:Jennak, thanks for the info. I had a feeling that's what was happening. But why would they remove the hardbacks? I called Amazon tonight, and, as usual, they were clueless. Tomorrow I will be calling the publisher to make sure we have the full story. Then we will decide what to do.

I noticed something else. I was on amazon UK and see instead of volume 2 they have the second book called The Dark Volume. I am not sure but think it is the same as the volume 2 on amazon in the US. I think the number of pages is the clue. On many of the used books and the hardback used version they are 800 pages so I think they may be both volumes and recent additions decided it was too long and are printed as two volumes. Something to keep in mind when purchasing. I still see several used books on amazon that are the 800 pages. As soon as I receive mine I will let you know for sure.

Edit to add... The Dark Volume is now on the US amazon along with both volumes so maybe it is a new book. Its release date is March 24, 2009.
Last edited by gemini on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:26 pm

gemini wrote:

I noticed something else. I was on amazon UK and see instead of volume 2 they have the second book called The Dark Volume. I am not sure but think it is the same as the volume 2 on amazon in the US. I think the number of pages is the clue. On many of the used books and the hardback used version they are 800 pages so I think they may be both volumes and recent additions decided it was too long and are printed as two volumes. Something to keep in mind when purchasing. I still see several used books on amazon that are the 800 pages. As soon as I receive mine I will let you know for sure.

Well, I think it is safe to say that if we discuss it, we will discuss both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 (which probably equals the hardback version). But how we do that is the question.

The other question is to actually confirm what the difference is between all of these books. Thanks for pointing out The Dark Volume. When Random House returns my call I will ask about that too. Here's what I know so far:

I talked with Random House today, and the customer service rep said she would ask the editor what was going on about all of this and get back to me, but that it may not be until Tuesday. Since I have yet to hear from her, it will probably be Tuesday.

I also called my local indie book store. I was told that the #1 book distributor in the US only has 5 copies left of the hardback and the #2 book distributor has zero. There are apparently quite a few used copies on Amazon, though (assuming their website is up to date). I notice that they updated it overnight to take off the paperback due to come out this month.

That's the latest.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:33 am

I was able to purchase a new hard back 800-page version from an ebay store very inexpensively. Of course, once the word is out that ONBC plans to read the book, it may shake up the market. :lol: I think somebody at Amazon notices what we do.

Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”