ONBC Next Book Poll

Moderator: Liz

What do you want to read this winter at ONBC?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:55 pm

Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami
21%
Lost Honor of Katherina Blum by Heindrik Boll
53%
The Great Deluge by Douglas Brinkley
26%

Total votes: 19
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Re: ONBC Next Book Poll

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Yeah, it sounded like a good book when I ran across it looking for next books for us. The size was definitely daunting however. I am also envious of the subjects he gets to take on, all sorts of interesting events and people.

And a penny plus shipping -- hard covers begin by decreasing in monetary value but, if you can hold onto them long enough, and the writer is highly thought of, they end up increasing remarkably. The paper of the paperback never lasts -- ten years later the pages separate from the spine as you turn them.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:00 am

I may have said this before, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself. I recently read:

Five Days at Memorial by Sheri Fink.

It was just one story among all the stories. I found it to be quite an eye-opener. Coincidentally my local book club discussed it last month. I was hoping that the Noodlemantras would choose Brinkley's book so that I could have my reading experience enhanced, as it were. But that's OK. I have enjoyed Katharina. AND IT WAS SHORT! Woo hoo! :lol:

Maybe at some point we'll discuss this anyway.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Liz wrote:I may have said this before, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself. I recently read:

Five Days at Memorial by Sheri Fink.

It was just one story among all the stories. I found it to be quite an eye-opener. Coincidentally my local book club discussed it last month. I was hoping that the Noodlemantras would choose Brinkley's book so that I could have my reading experience enhanced, as it were. But that's OK. I have enjoyed Katharina. AND IT WAS SHORT! Woo hoo! :lol:

Maybe at some point we'll discuss this anyway.

I'll keep that book in mind, although I honestly don't think I can read any more about it at the moment. The hospital situation was so desperate, as were many situations in the area post-Katrina! Right now I don't think I can bear to read about flood water/filth/contamination/starvation/looting and sniping/lack of medication/thirst/decomposing corpses. But maybe in time I will be ready to dig into more of the story -- I am sure the book is good.

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”