ONBC Next Book Poll

Moderator: Liz

What do you want to read this winter at ONBC?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:55 pm

Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami
21%
Lost Honor of Katherina Blum by Heindrik Boll
53%
The Great Deluge by Douglas Brinkley
26%

Total votes: 19
Liz
ONBC Moderator

ONBC Next Book Poll

Unread postby Liz » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:55 pm

Noodlemantras….you are probably wondering what our next book selection will be.

Well, YOU get to decide in a poll. You can also comment in regard to the choices on this thread.

The choices are comprised of a book written by Douglas Brinkley (who co-wrote the intro to House of Earth and edited the book) and a couple of books from a list of several books that we were very lucky to be able to confirm with the Patti Smith organization that both Ms. Smith and Mr. Depp have read.

Please vote for one of the following books by Sunday, October 6.

The Great Deluge by Douglas Brinkley

To aid you in making your choice, I’ve included a synopsis of each book selection below:

From Publishers Weekly:

Murakami's seventh novel to be translated into English is a short, enigmatic chronicle of unrequited desire involving three acquaintances the narrator, a 24-year-old Tokyo schoolteacher; his friend Sumire, an erratic, dreamy writer who idolizes Jack Kerouac; and Miu, a beautiful married businesswoman with a secret in her past so harrowing it has turned her hair snowy white. When Sumire abandons her writing for life as an assistant to Miu and later disappears while the two are vacationing on a Greek island, the narrator/teacher travels across the world to help find her. Once on the island, he discovers Sumire has written two stories: one explaining the extent of her longing for Miu; the second revealing the secret from Miu's past that bleached her hair and prevents her from getting close to anyone. All of the characters suffer from bouts of existential despair, and in the end, back in Tokyo, having lost both of his potential saviors and deciding to end a loveless affair with a student's mother, the narrator laments his loneliness. Though the story is almost stark in its simplicity more like Murakami's romantic Norwegian Wood than his surreal Wind-Up Bird Chronicles the careful intimacy of the protagonists' conversation and their tightly controlled passion for each other make this slim book worthwhile. Like a Zen koan, Murakami's tale of the search for human connection asks only questions, offers no answers and must be meditated upon to provide meaning. (Apr. 30)Forecast: Long the secret delight of connoisseurs, Murakami has been steadily and quietly acquiring a wider readership. His latest offering breaks no new ground but is packaged in a striking manner and should attract a few newcomers.

From Amazon.com:

Nobel Prize winner Heinrich Böll’s powerful novel about a woman terrorized by the media - In an era in which journalists will stop at nothing to break a story, Henrich Böll’s The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum has taken on heightened relevance. A young woman’s association with a hunted man makes her the target of a journalist determined to grab headlines by portraying her as an evil woman. As the attacks on her escalate and she becomes the victim of anonymous threats, Katharina sees only one way out of her nightmare. Turning the mystery genre on its head, the novel begins with the confession of a crime, drawing the reader into a web of sensationalism, character assassination, and the unavoidable eruption of violence.

The Great Deluge: Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast by Douglas Brinkley

From Amazon.com:

In the span of five violent hours on August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina destroyed major Gulf Coast cities and flattened 150 miles of coastline. Yet those wind-torn hours represented only the first stage of the relentless triple tragedy that Katrina brought to the entire Gulf Coast, from Louisiana to Mississippi to Alabama.

First came the hurricane, one of the three strongest ever to make landfall in the United States -- 150-mile- per-hour winds, with gusts measuring more than 180 miles per hour ripping buildings to pieces.
Second, the storm-surge flooding, which submerged a half million homes, creating the largest domestic refugee crisis since the Civil War. Eighty percent of New Orleans was under water, as debris and sewage coursed through the streets, and whole towns in south-eastern Louisiana ceased to exist.

And third, the human tragedy of government mis-management, which proved as cruel as the natural disaster itself. Ray Nagin, the mayor of New Orleans, implemented an evacuation plan that favored the rich and healthy. Kathleen Blanco, governor of Louisiana, dithered in the most important aspect of her job: providing leadership in a time of fear and confusion. Michael C. Brown, the FEMA director, seemed more concerned with his sartorial splendor than the specter of death and horror that was taking New Orleans into its grip.

In The Great Deluge, bestselling author Douglas Brinkley, a New Orleans
resident and professor of history at Tulane University, rips the story of Katrina apart and relates what the Category 3 hurricane was like from every point of view. The book finds the true heroes -- such as Coast Guard officer Jimmy Duckworth and hurricane jock Tony Zumbado.

Throughout the book, Brinkley lets the Katrina survivors tell their own stories, masterly allowing them to record the nightmare that was Katrina. The Great Deluge investigates the failure of government at every level and breaks important new stories. Packed with interviews and original research, it traces the character flaws, inexperience, and ulterior motives that allowed the Katrina disaster to devastate the Gulf Coast.

NOTE: Although almost 100 pages are devoted to the Timeline, Notes and Index, there are still over 600 pages to read beyond that. If we choose this book, we will begin tidbits in February. If we choose one of the other books, they will begin in January.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Re: ONBC Next Book Poll

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:54 am

Having looked at some reviews of the first two I'm not sure either appeal to me so I may not join in this time around.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:26 am

Sorry to hear that, GG. :sad: So The Great Deluge doesn't appeal either?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Liz wrote:Sorry to hear that, GG. :sad: So The Great Deluge doesn't appeal either?

Afraid not sounds a bit long for me to read at the moment

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:24 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Liz wrote:Sorry to hear that, GG. :sad: So The Great Deluge doesn't appeal either?

Of the three that one sounds the most interesting, but I think it might be a bit ponderous for most of the readers here and it certainly would be overwhelming for the moderators to do tidbits.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:31 pm

nebraska wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:

Of the three that one sounds the most interesting, but I think it might be a bit ponderous for most of the readers here and it certainly would be overwhelming for the moderators to do tidbits.

Looking at the book on Amazon, I see that over 100 pages are the Index and Timeline, so the book is "only" 600-something pages long instead of over 700. Still a lot, though!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Good catch, and good to know, T. :ok: I'll edit my description above. I think we'll still be shooting for February, though.

Nebraska, we're not worried about the tidbits. I think tidbits on NO could be really fun to do.

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:44 pm

Liz wrote:Good catch, and good to know, T. :ok: I'll edit my description above. I think we'll still be shooting for February, though.

Nebraska, we're not worried about the tidbits. I think tidbits on NO could be really fun to do.

I agree. Having worked for 27 years for a company that had government contracts mostly with the Corps of Engineers, I think I might have a few thunks to throw in the pot. :biggrin:
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:24 pm

Don't forget to vote. We won't be counting votes within the comments on this thread, only from the poll itself.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:06 am

All of them sound interesting. :ok:
Will be interesting to see what wins. :omg:

Of course, I've been finding the tidbits more interesting than the books lately. :goodvibes:

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:57 pm

I loved Sputnik.
Anything by Brinkley is good.
The one I'd most like to investigate deeply is the Boll.
So, looks like I'm happy no matter what we read!

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Liz wrote:and a couple of books from a list of several books that we were very lucky to be able to confirm with the Patti Smith organization that both Ms. Smith and Mr. Depp have read.
:eyebrow: Fascinating! You guys just amaze me. :highfive: Nicely done.

All three of these sound like great reads - it's a tough choice!

shaman-art

Unread postby shaman-art » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:17 am

I'm amazed by the fact that a book that's well known here in Germany but not necessarily on the other side of the pond was read by Patti and Johnny.
I've read the book years ago. For me it might be a bit weird to discuss a book that's written in my own native language in English, :lol: . But anyway: I'll vote for it.
By the way: There's a German movie based on the book. According to imdb.com it was also released in the UK and US: Also in 1984 CBS made his own version called "The Lost Honor of Kathryn Beck" for television.

BonBon

Unread postby BonBon » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:28 pm

I just had to vote for Heinrich Böll's The lost Honor of Katharina Blum! ;-) This book and movie was subject of many lessons at my school. I've never expected that Johnny and Patti would read that stuff! :ok:
He looked at my pictures then to me and he said "Oh very good" 14/12/2010 in Berlin... the day I met Johnny Depp. 8/11/2011 in Paris... I met him again...19/7/2013 in Berlin...I met him for the third time! UNBELIEVABLE

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:19 pm

The poll made me curious so I purchased a used copy of the Great Deluge (for a penny plus postage :grin: ) It was an interesting read! It certainly gave me a greater understanding of the Katrina disaster and an improved appreciation for what is going on in the Philippines at the moment. Brinkley told the tale with a good deal of historical fact as well as touching stories of individuals whose lives were affected by the storm. I recommend reading it, but it is a massive and rather ponderous book. It helped that I was sick for a week and had more time to read.

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”