ONBC's First Read of 2012 is...

Moderator: Liz

sleepy
JDZ Founder

Re: ONBC's First Read of 2012 is...

Unread postby sleepy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Love the "Johnny face" in the poster! I've never seen these films or read the book. I vaguely remember the tv series. Hopefully this will be filmed after The Lone Ranger. I included the "The" because Bruckheimer did, in his tweet, even though, earlier, they said it was dropped. Oh well!
Funny ol' world, innit?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:31 pm

sleepy wrote:Love the "Johnny face" in the poster! I've never seen these films or read the book. I vaguely remember the tv series. Hopefully this will be filmed after The Lone Ranger. I included the "The" because Bruckheimer did, in his tweet, even though, earlier, they said it was dropped. Oh well!

As long as they don't drop the movie again he can call it whatever he wants! I loved watching old black and white movies on late night tv when I was a kid and definitely remember this one. I ordered the movie with the book just so I could compare.

sleepy, you have Liz to thank for the nice artwork!
:applause:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

sleepy
JDZ Founder

Unread postby sleepy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:35 pm

It really shows how perfect he would be in this role! I might have seen it, as a kid. When I'd be at my grandmother's, she only got two stations and one was "independent." There were lot's of old b/w films from the 40's. I watched a lot of them. I remember loving June Allison and Doris Day (By the Light of the Silvery Moon!" Loved the old Shirley Temple movies, too! Heidi always made me cry!
Funny ol' world, innit?

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 pm

I found this as a free download for epub readers.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:48 pm

I remember the movie quite well, though I think I was more impressed by Asta than either Loy or Powell...

The whole era is fun - I think JD's take may be more along the lines of Tony in The Imaginarium, slick, slightly naughty, funny, and self-referential.

Beatrix

Unread postby Beatrix » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:22 pm

gemini wrote:I found this as a free download for epub readers.

The free epub download is a good idea.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:41 pm

gemini, that is great information. Thank you! I checked the Guttenburg Project but it is not listed.

Yes, Buster, Asta was fun! I can't wait to see what Johnny does with Nick.

Don't discuss yet, but be thinking about who would be a good Nora and if the actress has not already been announced, we will do a little casting during the discussion.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

winona

Unread postby winona » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:14 pm

Thanks for the tip :smiliewithhearts: I saw the movie years ago.I wondered where in the world I'd find the book :lol:
Because love has your face and body .....and your hands are tender and your mouth is sweet-and God has made no other eyes like yours. Walter Benton

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:26 am

I will watch the Thin Man movies every time they're on TV. I adore Nick and Nora! (And Asta and Mrs. Asta!) :bounce: I will search through the overstuffed bookshelves to see if I have a copy of the book.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:29 am

:ok:
Thanks Gemini!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:09 pm

sleepy wrote:Love the "Johnny face" in the poster! I've never seen these films or read the book. I vaguely remember the tv series. Hopefully this will be filmed after The Lone Ranger. I included the "The" because Bruckheimer did, in his tweet, even though, earlier, they said it was dropped. Oh well!

Thanks, Sleepy.

I've never seen or read them either, but I'm looking forward to it.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Liz wrote:

Thanks, Sleepy.

I've never seen or read them either, but I'm looking forward to it.

I vaguely remember the TV series as well, and as I recall there was a lot of humor in it? Just looked it up, I was 10-12 years old when it aired. No wonder my recollection is vague.

I was quite surprised that my local used book store had a copy of The Thin Man, and at a bargain price. I would like to tackle Fox's Five Sisters book first, but not sure if I have time to do that.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:14 pm

There were several Thin Man movies on television last night, TMC maybe? I came in at the end of the original when the murderer was to be revealed so I made myself switch the channel! :lol: I hope they rerun them again after I've read the book!

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”