ONBC's First Read of 2012 is...

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

ONBC's First Read of 2012 is...

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:14 pm

“The people who lie the most are nearly always the clumsiest at it, and they're easier to fool with lies than most people, too. You'd think they'd be on the look-out for lies, but they seem to be the very ones that will believe almost anything at all.” - Dashiell Hammett, The Thin Man

The Hollywood Reporter announced back in March of this year that Johnny was attached to star in the remake of the classic private eye movie, The Thin Man, and Rob Marshall was in negotiations to direct. It's had various scriptwriters mentioned since - Jerry Stahl, David Koepp - and as of October 6, Billy Ray has been tapped for the position of screenwriter per Hollywood Reporter. The Reporter indicated that Infinitum Nihil would produce the movie.

The original The Thin Man was a movie from 1934 starring William Powell and Myrna Loy but was based on a novel of the same name by Dashiell Hammett.

Please join ONBC on a mysterious adventure with witty and suave Nick and Nora Charles as they enter the world of 1930's prohibition New York and try to solve the mystery of a missing inventor. The inventor's wealthy and disingenuous family, along with a memorable cast of characters, provide the two detectives with all they can handle. A classic whodunit told only the way Dashiell Hammett could.

Hope to see you in January!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Re: ONBC's First Read of 2012 is...

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Our local library participated in the Big Read program and gave away copies of Hammett's the Maltese Falcon a couple of years ago. I was :hypnotic: trying to read the book, very intricate twists and double twists of plot. I will have to read in the middle of the day when I am wide awake for this one!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Shall have to think about that one, its not the usual type of thing I am interested in and I know nothing about the original movie I don't think. Didn't realise it was written by the same author as The Maltees Falcon which I have watched many times.

Fairy

Unread postby Fairy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:36 pm

:bigwave: DITHOT
I must admit I haven't read the Thin Man yet, but I ordered it today and I am certainly with you in January.
:goodvibes:
"You find a glimmer of happiness in this world, there is always someone who wants to destroy it." James Barrie/Johnny Depp in Finding Neverland

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Great choice! Read several Hammett mysteries years ago, and just coincidentally. I went out and purchased a used copy of The Thin Man this Spring, on the supposition that ONBC could not resist.

As I recall the stuff could be read quickly. In fact I read a good deal of one book standing in the aisles of a bookstore 'til I was ferreted out, sternly spoken to and shown the door. This was the Seventies. One didn't hang in one's bookstore and read. Chairs were not encouraged.

At least as interesting as Hammett's books is Hammett's life and we should have lots of good tidbits in store for us. In the 1970s Lillian Hellman, the writer, published several memoirs which included a good deal about her 30 year relationship with Dashiell. If you've ever seen Julia (1977) with Jane Fonda, Jason Robards, and... Vanessa Redgrave, Meryl Streep, Maximilian Schell, John Glover and (out of breath) Hal Holbrooke -- it was based on Pentimento, Lillian's second memoir. I no longer have the books but at the time I was enormously impressed with her and Dashiell and the special relationship she depicted: two writers and all that. In fact, I remember trying to figure out a way to meet her on the Vineyard (Martha's Vineyard) where she summered. I could never think of a good enough reason to ring her doorbell. She was a fearsome lady. Much later many things Lillian claimed as "true" were held up to greater inspection by others. At least one book was written disputing Lillian's versions of several incidences. I think there is there is still a certain amount of controversy or at least uncertainty. It kind of dampened my opinion of her, and thus probably why I don't have the books anymore.

So we are heading down Memory Lane for me with this one. And I'd really like to see JD as Nick Charles. Elegant and witty. Suave. Lots to discuss fellow Noodlemantras.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:48 pm

I'll be on board for this one, for sure.
(I read Pentimento years ago, just because I love the title...so somehow I'm not surprised that there was a little painting over of the facts)

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Ah!!! One of my favorite authors from a few (!) years back... going to head downstairs and see if I can find my dusty copy of The Maltese Falcon and maybe even The Thin Man!! Great choice!
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:13 pm

I'll need to get and read this book. I thought the 34 movie featured a character who was a comic clutz. I thought the tv version was much better.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:13 pm

:applause2: :applause: Excellent choice! :yahoo:
Loved the movies, but never read the books....
I'll be looking forward to this one!
:snoopydances:

Cyn

Unread postby Cyn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:34 pm

fireflydances wrote: And I'd really like to see JD as Nick Charles. Elegant and witty. Suave.

Like the way he played J.M. Barrie, sans the Scottish accent of course?

I watched a few of the movies (weren't there more than just the one?) so many years ago I can barely remember them. I used to love to watch old b&w movie marathons on TV.
Like GG said, I don't know if I'll be here for this one, although I would hate to miss it!
We have almost come to expect from Johnny Depp performances that are better than they have to be. ~Stephen Daly
He doesn't belong in show business...he belongs somewhere better. ~Sarah Jessica Parker :heart2:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:38 pm

Cyn wrote:
fireflydances wrote: And I'd really like to see JD as Nick Charles. Elegant and witty. Suave.

Like the way he played J.M. Barrie, sans the Scottish accent of course?

I watched a few of the movies (weren't there more than just the one?) so many years ago I can barely remember them. I used to love to watch old b&w movie marathons on TV.
Like GG said, I don't know if I'll be here for this one, although I would hate to miss it!

Hmmm... Think 1930s, sort of early Cary Grant. There's a snappiness to the dialogue. a self-conscious pleasure in the way they carry themselves. Barrie was a gentleman. Nick et al have more jazz in them, if that makes any sense at all.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:49 pm

Good description, firefly.

Tidbits will start in January so you certainly have plenty of time to put the book on your wish list and get it read. It is definitely a realtively short and easy read.

Glad so many of you are on board and welcome to ONBC, Fairy!
:bigwave:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Cyn

Unread postby Cyn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:56 pm

fireflydances wrote: Barrie was a gentleman. Nick et al have more jazz in them, if that makes any sense at all.

Makes perfect sense and I love the way you paint pictures with words. :cool:
We have almost come to expect from Johnny Depp performances that are better than they have to be. ~Stephen Daly
He doesn't belong in show business...he belongs somewhere better. ~Sarah Jessica Parker :heart2:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:03 pm

Cyn wrote:
fireflydances wrote: Barrie was a gentleman. Nick et al have more jazz in them, if that makes any sense at all.

Makes perfect sense and I love the way you paint pictures with words. :cool:

Oh thank you Cyn. I do love writing, love playing with words. And sharing. :hatsoff:

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:03 pm

:applause2: Looking forward to the read and discussion of the Thin Man. Ordered the book today. Have seen the Wm. Powell and Myrna Loy film. Enjoyed the humor and the love story. Wonder if Astor will bark along in the new film?? :lol: See you in 2012!!

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”