Announcing Our Next Read...

Moderator: Liz

Gilbert's Girl

Re: Announcing Our Next Read...

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Liz wrote:Thanks for the heads up on this, GG. I am going to start a separate thread on this because I think it warrants it.

:ok:

Cyn

Unread postby Cyn » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Here is a link to the interview Keith did with GQ just before he was given his award this year. I didn't manage to get hold of a copy of the magazine so its the first time I've seen it too. But he is talking about the book so thought it relevent to post.

QUOTE FROM INTERVIEW:
"As we went on I was shocked by thinking, 'How did one guy go through all this?' And then I realised it was me!"

:biglaugh: Yes, I think he's one of those rare few that has lived several lifetimes all in one.
We have almost come to expect from Johnny Depp performances that are better than they have to be. ~Stephen Daly
He doesn't belong in show business...he belongs somewhere better. ~Sarah Jessica Parker :heart2:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:10 am

Galaxy Book Awards shortlist
17.10.11 | Charlotte Williams

Alan Hollinghurst, whose novel The Stranger's Child was a surprise omission from the Man Booker shortlist this year, has been shortlisted for an award at the Galaxy National Book Awards 2011, with works by Ian Rankin and Keith Richards also in the running within the 11 categories.

The Biography/Autobiography prize shortlist features Rolling Stone Keith Richards for his memoir Life (Phoenix) as well as Claire Tomalin's Charles Dickens (Viking) and Jackie Kay's Red Dust Road (Picador) among others.

The winners will be revealed on 4th November at a ceremony at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in west London, which will be hosted by comedian Dara O'Briain. The event will be staged and filmed by Cactus TV, with a series of six programmes about the awards to be screened between 13th November and 17th December on More4.

Cactus TV m.d. Amanda Ross said: "It will be far more interesting for the viewers to experience the event in bite-size chunks spread across six shows, as we will be able to properly focus on the category winners."

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:03 am

Posting Keith's latest interview from GQ it touches on some things from the book so thought it might be relvent although it might just be interesting anyway

Cyn

Unread postby Cyn » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Thanks for posting that, GG. Very interesting, especially his last line in it about gladly paying the check and saying it was worth it. I love how he's totally unapologetic for the life he led.
We have almost come to expect from Johnny Depp performances that are better than they have to be. ~Stephen Daly
He doesn't belong in show business...he belongs somewhere better. ~Sarah Jessica Parker :heart2:

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:12 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Posting Keith's latest interview from GQ it touches on some things from the book so thought it might be relvent although it might just be interesting anyway

I enjoyed reading that, GG, thanks for posting it. :cool:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:44 am

Another award for Life

2012 Keeping the Blues Award Recipients Announced
The Blues Foundation will honor 17 individuals and organizations with its 2012 Keeping the Blues Alive (KBA) Award during a recognition brunch Saturday, February 4, 2012, in Memphis, Tennessee. Each year, The Blues Foundation presents the KBA Awards to individuals and organizations that have made significant contributions to blues music. The KBA ceremony will be held in conjunction with the 28th International Blues Challenge (IBC), which begins January 31 and features the final rounds of the world’s largest and most prestigious blues music competition, as well as seminars, showcases, and receptions for blues societies, fans, and professionals.

The KBAs are awarded on the basis of merit by a select panel of blues professionals to those working to actively promote and document the music. “This year’s recipients showcase the breadth and diversity of the blues music community. The honorees range from a Mississippi juke joint to a Polish blues festival, from an educator specializing in the diddley bow and the khalam to one of rock’s most legendary guitarists, from a volunteer public radio jock to a television program reaching millions, but they all share a passion to bring the music to the people,” notes Jay Sieleman, Blues Foundation Executive Director.

Literature: Life by Keith Richards - New York, New York

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:37 pm

Cool! :slick:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”