Announcing Our Next Read...

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Announcing Our Next Read...

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:27 am

"The Code is the law." Don't upset Captain Teague! :capnjack: Keep to the code, Noodlemantras, and join us for our next book...

"Life" by Keith Richards with James Fox.

We are looking forward to a rockin' read!
:guitar:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

bluebird

Re: Announcing Our Next Read...

Unread postby bluebird » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:02 am

Great choice! I am listening to it now! Narrated by -- guess who!?!
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:42 am

Whoa! I didn't think you would. :lol: Listened to it last winter, and now, well I might even purchase a used copy of the book itself. Cool guys!!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:44 am

Fantastic! I've read the book and I'm a Keith fan, so I will look forward to joining in! :-) :noodlemantra:
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:47 am

I "heavily browsed" the book for about an hour at one of those bookstores with good chairs. I'm currently on the road, but will join in as often as I can.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Really? quite surprised as its not exactly a Johnny connection he's only mentioned once and almost in passing so curious as to why its the next choice.
Also being a big Keith fan not sure I want non fans to tear it apart I've seen enough Stones fans do that.
will probably join in with trepidation though

Very intrigued as to what tidbits you might use and questions you will ask.

I'm sure you won't need but if you want some assistance or pointers for some of the tidbits info I can probably point you in the right direction.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:28 pm

We have been considering this book since it was published given the friendship between Johnny and Keith. Johnny narrates the audiobook, is producing a documentary on Keith and of course mentions Keith as one of his inspirations for his characterization of Captain Jack, not to mention Keith's short appearances as Teague in the films. We try to keep the discussions respectful of our subject matter and of each others opinions, the Noodlemantras have always been good about that.

GG, if you have any concerns or ideas send me a pm. Thanks! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

hurricane

Unread postby hurricane » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:04 pm

Thanks Guys, I've ordered the audio CD and kindle edition so hope to finish it by October 10th, even with my busy schedule! Looking very forward to it :ok:
"Eddie doesn't pass judgement on people."
"That's right. If I did, I'd have no friends." - Ed Wood

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Glad you will be joining us, hurricane! :welcome: It isn't necessary to be finished with the book by October 10. We still start our tidbits then and the discussion will follow sometime in November. We will let you know the exact date before we start the discussion.

Wow! What a ride!

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:15 pm

Well, I am delighted that this is next. I didn't participate in the last two discussions because I couldn't read Crispin's book (dependent on public library copies; none available) and really disliked OST (did not want to post negative thoughts.)

I have my copy of Life on the table next to me and am ready to go. :biggrin:
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

SnoopyDances

Unread postby SnoopyDances » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:39 pm

Very interesting! I've been debating about reading this book. I'll try to work it into the schedule. If I can't, I'll just follow the discussion quietly. :goodvibes:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:45 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: We try to keep the discussions respectful of our subject matter and of each others opinions, the Noodlemantras have always been good about that.

Yes indeed, they certainly have, DITHOT. And we appreciate it. :cool:

Glad to see all of the interest in the book. I’ve been looking forward to this one since my 21 year old son gave it to me last Christmas. And guess what…..he read my copy before I could get to it. :grin: He highly recommends it BTW.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:20 am

Well I don't see how you can look at my avatar and not know that I would like to read Keiths book. :biggrin:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

denise

Unread postby denise » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:43 am

I read this, it's good. I'll try to remember to be here.
denise

Cyn

Unread postby Cyn » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:21 pm

:bigwave: Hi, ONBC and Liz and DITHOT--

I'm new to the ONBC even though I've lurked now and then, especially in the archives to read the thread about the WEGG book.. :innocent:
I bought both the book and audio CD's of 'Life' months ago and have yet to take the cellophane off the CD's or do more than skim through parts of the book and look at the pics, but I would love to finally be part of an ONBC discussion, and hopefully I'll have read the book by the time it starts. :hope: :biggrin:
We have almost come to expect from Johnny Depp performances that are better than they have to be. ~Stephen Daly
He doesn't belong in show business...he belongs somewhere better. ~Sarah Jessica Parker :heart2:

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”