Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATLA at ONBC

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:56 pm

ladylinn wrote:I am so glad to hear that others like me are struggling through ATALA. Her feelings come through so beautifully - but I struggle getting on with it. The tidbits coming will certainly help me.
p.s. my Babylon Nights should arrive next week. :bounce:

Well, without getting too far into the discussion, I keep thinking this woman is writing all this gooey over-the-top love stuff to a man she sees only once or twice a year and at the same time she is carrying on a long-term relationship with another man. :-O However, the further I read, the more I find she is going into other topics besides the endless stream of 'I love you's'. So I will continue reading in the hopes that I find something of substance eventually. I am sure by the end of the tidbits and discussion I will have learned a lot about politics and history.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:53 pm

There is a lot of background material (not provided) that we intend to bring to you with tidbits. I'm sure some of you have already done research on your own or are already familiar with her. She was a very complicated and multi-faceted woman to say the least! I agree it is frustrating at times but I hope you all will stick with it. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATLA at ONBC

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:26 pm

OK. I am trying to figure out where to ask this.

I have already sharpened my set of 3 number two pencils and set out a new crisp legal pad. I am already half way through Daniel Depp's Babylon Nights (And trying to slow down; this is not possible). I am already thinking of tidbit after tidbit (like cheese yes) that will be laid out in a row for us to feast on. I am already wondering how I will hold my breath through the holidays until January's discussion begins.

I am already wondering what book comes next?

I am still newbie enough not to know how it goes, when it gets decided. I'm deep in 2666 - great book. I used to be quite the Dashiell Hammett fan (The Thin Man -- although that is the "only" book of his most popular that I haven't read -- duh, well it was fate then) and there is enough there to cover at least a month of tidbitting. Dark Shadows? (What do we read?)

Anyway, great sigh, I am the woefully impatient sort who once enthused finds it very difficult to calmly wait for anything. :-O
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:47 pm

firefly, your enthusiasm in greatly appreciated! We aren't sure yet what selectioin will follow Daniel's book. We like to stay open to surprises and sometimes fleshing out the reading material is difficult, as in Dark Shadows...Maybe we need to have a video club? :lol:

I have heard mixed reactions to 2666 so any input would be welcomed, positive or negative. I do know that Bablyon Nights will be a change up from where we have been the past several months!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:14 pm

I am a little more than a third through 2666. It was a bit hard to get into the first 'novelette' but I am very intrigued by it, like the style of it. It's so well written and quite honestly after slogging through ATLA, it's been like a breath of fresh air, but I am up for anything really. You guys have kept me interested since I signed on (late Rum Diary I think?). Just point me where you want me to go.

And I can hang until you are ready (wondering too about Keith Richard's autobiography -- that's something I want to read also.)

Back to Babylon...
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:18 pm

And more on Babylon tomorrow.....
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:19 pm

Liz wrote:And more on Babylon tomorrow.....
I just ordered my copy. :biggrin:

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:45 pm

More on Babylon tomorrow......

(More on Babylon tomorrow? Where are they?)
Busy. Stop looking under everything, they aren't here.
(Where are they then?)
Conducting research.
(About this Spandau person?)
Possibly.
(I would prefer to conduct research on Anna.)
You would.
(So he privately eyes others?)
Who?
(The gumshoe Spandau)
Where do you get this stuff?
(You’ll never understand me but I’ll try once more and then I’ll give up…)
Geez, what are you reading?
(I am becoming conversant in the world of snooping)
Next thing you’ll be asking me if I know anything about rare books.
(You got it angel)
Groan. I needed a drink…..
(...what I had was a coat, a hat and a gun. I put them on and went out of the room.)
Two months of this?

Postscript
“You’ll never understand me but I’ll try once more and then I’ll give up…”
Sam Spade, The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
(book 1930, movie with Bogart as Sam Spade, 1941)

Philip Marlowe asks a clerk in The Big Sleep about rare books
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
(book 1939, movie with Bogart as Marlowe, 1946)

“I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun. I put them on and went out of the room.”
Philip Marlowe in Farewell My Lovely by Raymond Chandler
(book 1940, movie with Robert Mitchum as Philip Marlowe, 1975
not sure the entire quote is in the movie)

Yes. I’m at it again. Lack of discussion creates build up of desire to write, anything. So, my odd alien friend Igor and I visit the empty offices of ONBC.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:40 pm

fireflydances wrote:More on Babylon tomorrow......

Hey Firefly, you’ve been reading our tidbits & discussion questions from Loser’s Town. And I’m sure you’ve already read Loser’s Town:

I join you and Igor in your frustration. I’m already wanting to talk about this book….even before the tidbits…..but I can’t. :banghead:

But I think Igor’s confusion is with my saying that I will tell “more tomorrow,” which I did, but in a new post. I posted an update on Babylon Nights on November 9, but didn’t move it up to announcements. So if you didn’t see it that day, you might have missed it. So now it’s at the top of the board. Sorry Igor.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Just so you all don’t miss the thread for “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom by A.C. Crispin". Take a look. It sure looks like a book we might add into our reading list.
Here is the link
New Novel Pirates of the Caribbean the Price of Freedom
I thought if you were considering On Stranger Tides, we might fit this in for a young Capt. Jack.
This seems to be the back story written for adults this time instead of children.
It looks like it will be available May 17, 2011.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:18 pm

Well, this is very intriguing. :-O

I think this will require some further investigation. :sherlockholmes:

Thanks for the heads up, Gemini.

In-too-Depp

Unread postby In-too-Depp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:04 am

You beat me to it gemini, I was just reading Ann's post and was so pleased that she's joined the zone. I'm sure that any discussion on this book will be very enjoyable. I'm looking forward to reading it as are many others. :cool:
And Wit, was his vain frivolous pretence
Of pleasing others, at his own expense

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:25 pm

In-too-Depp wrote:You beat me to it gemini, I was just reading Ann's post and was so pleased that she's joined the zone. I'm sure that any discussion on this book will be very enjoyable. I'm looking forward to reading it as are many others. :cool:

Great minds think alike. I agree with Ann here, the discussion would even be better. :highfive:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:28 pm

Keep a sharp eye... :capnjack:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”