Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATLA at ONBC

Moderator: Liz

User avatar
fireflydances
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 3273
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: under a pile of books
Contact:

Status: Offline

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Gee. Here I was thinking I would be ordering a book nice and simple and instead, post after post about the complexities of the matter. Because of multiple editions around the same time I guess. I'm going hang until the price drops just a tad. Do love the way the guy writes, not just a detective story.

Oh, book signings? I missed the one close by me last time. I'll try to pay attention this go 'round. He did lots of media stuff before, wonder if that'll happen with this release? I don't know, I guess it's a mixed blessing? One wants a book to do well, but the price of wading through other agendas besides your own sweet thing, that must be tiresome.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Jennak
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: Following that Horizon

Status: Offline

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby Jennak » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:17 pm

fansmom wrote:Well, I was a little confused as to why IngridN was buying her books from a gin distiller, but I guess Bol and Bols are two different things.


Bols Cherry Brandy...YUM!!! :harhar:

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:21 am

fireflydances wrote:Gee. Here I was thinking I would be ordering a book nice and simple and instead, post after post about the complexities of the matter. Because of multiple editions around the same time I guess. I'm going hang until the price drops just a tad. Do love the way the guy writes, not just a detective story.

Oh, book signings? I missed the one close by me last time. I'll try to pay attention this go 'round. He did lots of media stuff before, wonder if that'll happen with this release? I don't know, I guess it's a mixed blessing? One wants a book to do well, but the price of wading through other agendas besides your own sweet thing, that must be tiresome.

Well, I'm not in a rush to purchase it, either, since we have plenty of time. And I plan to purchase my book at the book store where the book signing is.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
IngridN
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:30 pm
Location: Hilversum,The Netherlands

Status: Offline

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby IngridN » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:37 pm

fansmom wrote:Well, I was a little confused as to why IngridN was buying her books from a gin distiller, but I guess Bol and Bols are two different things.


:harhar:

:toastingpirates:
"We are always the same age inside." Gertrude Stein

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:39 pm

Liz I hope you and firefly get to the book signings. Good luck!

fansmom, I'm thinking of a plan, simple, easy to remember. A bookstore...Books and Spirits...or something more clever. Now there's a niche just waiting to be filled.
:toastingpirates:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:55 am

I've just added an additional book signing to the original post on page 1 of this thread......at Book Soup in West Hollywood. It's actually the first one up....on August 5.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Mrs Pink
Posts: 1421
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:10 am
Location: Asia

Status: Offline

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby Mrs Pink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:21 pm

I received the book over the weekend and finished it tonight.
Although it's fairly entertaining I must admit it wasn't as good as Loser Town. It is fairly run of the mill. Got to say a bit dissapointed overall. And there were several times when I thought to myself "just get on with it".

If anyone is interested in brotherly connections there aren't really any, except, perhaps, a couple of references I wondered about where the actress lived in LA and even the villa in France got me thinking he could have been describing his brothers house/s but the descriptions are not by any means important.

I do however like the style of writing and would like to read something with a bit more gravitas.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed - Hunter S Thompson

User avatar
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: Austin

Status: Offline

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:33 pm

Thanks, Mrs. Pink. We will be interested to see what others think during the discussion! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

User avatar
Buster
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:07 am

Status: Offline

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby Buster » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:16 pm

My copy arrived today - I'm looking forward to this one.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:05 pm

Buster wrote:My copy arrived today - I'm looking forward to this one.

Me too. :bounce:

But I hope everyone isn't in too much of a rush to read it. They'll have to read it again before January.

Plus, we have A Transatlantic Love Affair to discuss first. I've got about 50 more pages left. I've really enjoyed it. I'm going to be sad when it's over.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 29139
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby nebraska » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:01 pm

I am struggling through ATALA - beautiful writing. I stop once in a while and look at a bit of her bio and other info..........it should be an interesting discussion.

I did also order 2666. :dunce: I think that one is going to be a challenge as well.

User avatar
Buster
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:07 am

Status: Offline

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby Buster » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Liz wrote:
Plus, we have A Transatlantic Love Affair to discuss first. I've got about 50 more pages left. I've really enjoyed it. I'm going to be sad when it's over.


I'm glad people are enjoying ATLA - I wasn't too taken by it, so I'm counting on you guys to change my mind ;-)

As far as Babylon Nights goes - guess I'll just have to read it twice...not exactly a hardship.

User avatar
Liz
ONBC Moderator
Posts: 12971
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: The Left Coast

Status: Offline

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby Liz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:57 pm

nebraska wrote: I am struggling through ATALA - beautiful writing. I stop once in a while and look at a bit of her bio and other info..........it should be an interesting discussion.

Indeed. :-O Hold on for the tidbits..... :yikes:

nebraska wrote:I did also order 2666. :dunce: I think that one is going to be a challenge as well.

Do tell us if the back page matches. Maybe scan it for us? :biggrin:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

User avatar
ladylinn
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: Kentucky

Status: Offline

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby ladylinn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:37 am

I am so glad to hear that others like me are struggling through ATALA. Her feelings come through so beautifully - but I struggle getting on with it. The tidbits coming will certainly help me.
p.s. my Babylon Nights should arrive next week. :bounce:

User avatar
nebraska
Posts: 29139
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 pm
Location: near Omaha

Status: Offline

Re: Babylon Nights by Daniel Depp to follow ATAL at ONBC

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:50 pm

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote: I am struggling through ATALA - beautiful writing. I stop once in a while and look at a bit of her bio and other info..........it should be an interesting discussion.

Indeed. :-O Hold on for the tidbits..... :yikes:

nebraska wrote:I did also order 2666. :dunce: I think that one is going to be a challenge as well.

Do tell us if the back page matches. Maybe scan it for us? :biggrin:

Someone in the pic discussion thread said they had a three-volume set and thought that was what Johnny's looked like - mine is a single hard back but is supposed to be 900 or so pages long.


Return to “Announcements and Calendars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests