The New ONBC calendar is here!

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: The New ONBC calendar is here!

Unread postby Liz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:58 pm

Yes, books are always good on a cold dreary day, Baxendale Guitar.

Deppaura, I’m looking forward to some enlightenment also. I don’t think that the idea of reading the book ever appealed to me, although the character, Alice, was my favorite character at Fairyland in Oakland when I was a child. The reference to the White Rabbit in the song of the same name has always fascinated me too. And I still like the ride at Disneyland. So now, as an adult, I am quite curious to delve into this story and read it in it’s original form.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:30 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for autumn authors! It has been really hard to keep up with the book discussions with my work schedule. I've read the books, but I get behind with the tidbits, and then the questions just keep coming, and before I know it the discussion is over. I always finally read everyone's comments eventually, but don't get to post like I want to.

This will be great. I miss the Monday Night thread, and this will be a nice substitution.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:23 pm

The Autumn Authors sounds interesting. Curious, are these any who are Johnny related or past Authors form ONBC?
I tried re reading Alice when Johnny took an interest in the Mad Hatter and like deppaura , I have always had a hard time with Alice. Never quite got through it but will have to try again. I have the Rum Diary around here somewhere but will have to dig it out again. Guess I don't have to buy any new books for ONBC for awhile.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:28 pm

stroch, I’m glad you will be back with us. This won’t be quite the same as the Monday Night Thread in that we won’t hold the discussion to one night but the read will be short and the discussion will be more immediate.

Gemini, the answer to your question is yes and yes…but that’s all the scoop I can give! :grin:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:24 am

There is a talk this afternoon at the Museum of Oxford about Alice unfortunatley I only just found out about it or I would have made arragements to go as it sounded quite intersting the lady giving the talk was just on the local Radio talking about some things. Guess I should really keep an eye out for these things.

The Two Alices: Dream Child and Real Child

Wednesday 18 November: 2.00 - 3.00 pm

Marguerite Osborne recounts the fascinating story of Alice Liddell, the Victorian girl who was the model for Alice in Wonderland. Hear the stories behind the story, learn of the Oxford featured in the books and visit the Museum’s collection showing the real Alice and Charles Dodgson.
Adults: £3 Concessions: £2

Tickets availble on the door, but places are limited and booking is recommended.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:03 am

GG, I really wish you could go. :-/ It sounds so interesting. Any other Zoners there who can attend?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:48 am

Unfortunetly I am the only zoner in the area.

Btw we are going to get a Story Museum here in Oxford

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:20 pm

That's cool, GG. :cool:

I see that Alice Day is July 10.
:hatterspin:

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”