It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Happy New Year, Noodlemantras!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:37 pm 

I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday. May your 2008 be filled with wonderful and exciting days. Liz and I are looking forward to seeing you all in the year to come! :bounce:

We will be starting off 2008 with a book called Public Enemies by Bryan Burrough. Come meet Bonnie & Clyde, The Barker Gang and of course John Dillinger. Get a taste for what life was like for the criminals and lawmen of the 1930's. We will begin tidbits soon and the book discussion will begin the week of February 4. See you then!
:wave:

DITHOT edit: Please note that I corrected the original announcement regarding the beginning date for our discussion. I originally wrote will be begin "on" February 4 when I should have said will begin "the week of" February 4! :blush: We are still working out the exact starting date while we sort through tidbits...there is so much material!

Last edited by DeppInTheHeartOfTexas on Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:28 pm 

Hi Noodlemantras. Hope everyone had a great holiday. I can't wait to get into our discussuion of Public Enemies. I am still reading it and would like to think Johnny is immersing himself in Dillinger to get into the character. You all know how I like stories that are true, so with this book there is no doubt that the characters are real so its all the more interesting to know the story is also history. Reading this, I can see there will be no end to the tidbits. Poor Liz and DITHOT will have to narrow it down to the most interesting. I dont envy them that task. I am glad we are doing the dicussion before we see the film.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:23 am 

Happy New Year, Noodlemantras !!!

As a newcomer to ONBC, I'm really looking forward to participating in the discussion of Public Enemies. I'm diligently reading as the excitement builds for Johnny's arrival in Chicago. I'm patiently waiting for the tidbits to begin.

Wishing everyone many good books in 2008.
:reader:

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:22 am 

Welcome back, gemini and welcome Lucky 13 and thanks for your patience! :wave:

Now that the holidays are over we can really get down to business on Public Enemies. I'm loving the book and can't wait to get started on the research. There is so much to choose from!
:reader:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:52 am 

Happy New Year!

Public Enemies is a very interesting read so far, I'm looking forward to the tidbits and the discussion. I'm glad you're going to join in the discussion Lucky 13.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:43 am 

Hey youse guys (trying a little gangster jargon here) - Happy New Year! I can't wait to see what tidbits come up to introduce this discussion. I do believe Liz and DitHoT will have their hands full! Hats off in advance to our intrepid moderators -
:hatsoff:
I'm about half way through the book. It took me a while to get into the flow of Burroughs' storytelling style, but now that I am, I can hardly put it down. What a time in American history, eh? I'm sooo glad Johnny elected to do this movie - Dillinger has Johnny written all over him - or vice verse! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:26 pm 

I'm diving in. :noodlemantra:

:lilyrose: Forever Alice :lilyrose:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:45 pm 

Linda Lee wrote:
Public Enemies is a very interesting read so far, I'm looking forward to the tidbits and the discussion. I'm glad you're going to join in the discussion Lucky 13.

Thanks Linda Lee for your kind words. When I first heard about Johnny filming Public Enemies (AND in Chicago no less) it took hold of me body and soul. Having been born and raised here... well... it just really hit home ! :cloud9:

Last edited by Lucky13 on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:02 pm 

Happy New Year to ONBC!
I can't believe it's been almost a year since TPAOL.. Wow!
What a trip that was. Thanks again!
Wishing you all the best.. especially to DeepInTheHeartOfTexas and Liz whose work in here I sure admire.
Blessings all round. :pray: Love, Xaxis :hatsoff:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:52 pm 

Quote:
Parlez wrote: Dillinger has Johnny written all over him - or vice verse!

You are SO right about that, Parlez... I'm only on page 100 or so and am really liking it... Can see so many great possibilities for the movie... Especially Dillinger! Johnny is going to have fun with him!
bluebird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:08 pm 

Hi Linda Lee, Oh I am glad to see the faithful Noodlemantras are chiming in and that this book seems to be one to draw in some new ONBC fans. Hi Lucky 13, glad you are joining in for this one. Xaxis, boy I haven't heard from you in awhile. You didn't say if your reading this one, I hope so. Parlez, I can really see you getting into the lingo in this one and so far from what I've read I agree with you and bluebird, about Johnny and Dillinger being. sim·pa·ti·co. ( I dont mean that in an illegal way just personality, cloths, etc).
DITHOT, I know how you love history so this one should have you hooked at the get go. I know you will enjoy making the tidbits for this one. And Liz likes to figure out what makes people tick so she has her work cut out for her with these colorful characters . I see a great discussion coming.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:48 pm 

It's good to see familiar friends and new ones reading the book! We hope to see you all for the discussion! :bounce: We are hard at work reading and sifting through information. There is a lot to choose from on this book. :-O

Professor DITHOT is loving the history aspect and Liz has some nice place and time ideas brewing. Welcome :welcome: and read on, Noodlemantras!
:ONBC:

Wow! What a ride!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:32 pm 

I just want to chime in and wish all the NoodleMantras a wonderful year! When I look back at last year I never could have predicted the things that happened, so I am looking at 2008 as a daily gift to be unwrapped each day.

I have not started Public Enemies yet but I am hearing wonderful things all around. :bounce: I think this is going to be a fabulous discussion because there is so much enthusiasm from all quarters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:58 am 

Happy New Year Noodlemantras!
Like you all, I am loving Public Enemies. It will be a great start to discussions this year. I can see there will be great tidbits and a lot of fun with this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:01 am 

I've been enjoying the book and the photographs. I hope I can keep up with this discussion -- I got lost in the last one with the references to Dante and just sat and read what you all had to say.

Looking forward to the tidbits and talk.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next