ONBC Book Poll - Public Enemies or Rum Diary?

Moderator: Liz

Would you rather discuss Public Enemies or The Rum Diary in Februrary?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:41 pm

Public Enemies
75%
The Rum Diary
25%

Total votes: 48
lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:53 pm

GAO wrote:
lizbet wrote:Believe it or not my library actually has a copy of "Public Enemies" and thanks to online holds it's mine! I also just got an email that says my copy of TRD has just been shipped! What is it they say - there's either feast or famine - lots of JD related reading over the holidays and well into the new year. Now where's that copy of ST?! Bet you and DITHOT never thought you'd be this up-to-the-minute with your ONBC choices - thanks for keeping us so on track :eyebrow: anyone care to tackle a John Dillinger emoticon!??!?!

I am kind of new in ONBC, but I always wanted to join you someday.
I am now very very interested in "Public Enemies" but I have a certain problem in my English. :blush:
According to my research, this is over 600 pages book.
I know this might not be a suitable place to ask this question but how is the "difficulty" of English in this book?
Do you think it is too hard to read for those who speak not-perfect English?

Currently, Amazon.jp has only one copy of the book left!!!
I have to make a decision, so I will be very happy if I could have somebody's suggestion.
Thanks in advance.

GAO - have just picked up my library copy of PE (gee, in grammar school PE was short for physical education - here at ONBC it'll be short for public enemies - sorry, just found that amusing) and am going to have trouble putting it down each time I start in again!

The author is an essayst so he writes with an economy of words and gets right to the point. Chapter 1 begins with "It was a morning as bleak as the times." He is definitely a word painter. You may have trouble with place names (as will all of us outside of the United States) but there are several well appointed maps at the beginning of the 2004 edition I have and that really shouldn't be a problem. It seems to read like "a who dunnit" though it will perhaps slow a little once we get to the FBI documents but if you're trying to decide whether to read PE based on vocabulary alone I'd say go for it.

What say any other Noodlemantras fortune enough to have read PE already? Hope this helps :cool:
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

GAO

Unread postby GAO » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:39 pm

lizbet wrote:GAO - have just picked up my library copy of PE (gee, in grammar school PE was short for physical education - here at ONBC it'll be short for public enemies - sorry, just found that amusing) and am going to have trouble putting it down each time I start in again!

The author is an essayst so he writes with an economy of words and gets right to the point. Chapter 1 begins with "It was a morning as bleak as the times." He is definitely a word painter. You may have trouble with place names (as will all of us outside of the United States) but there are several well appointed maps at the beginning of the 2004 edition I have and that really shouldn't be a problem. It seems to read like "a who dunnit" though it will perhaps slow a little once we get to the FBI documents but if you're trying to decide whether to read PE based on vocabulary alone I'd say go for it.

What say any other Noodlemantras fortune enough to have read PE already? Hope this helps :cool:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful advice. I helped me to make my decision. Especially your way of descirbe his writting as "he writes with an economy of words and gets right to the point" gave me a slight hope!

I will give it a try!!! :bounce: I might give up in the middle of the book, but I have been to Chicago seven times and have ever seen the Biograph Theater so many times, so this must be a good one to challenge to.

BUT!!! The only copy of PE (your "physical education" story was funny! But, it happens sometimes. My screen name, GAO, is Japanese way to describe how lions roar, but to most of you, it must be General Accounting Office. :grin: ) was taken!!! :bawl: Oh, no! Before I went to bed last night, it was still available but when I tried to purchase it in this morning, it disappeared!! Well, I will buy it through Amazon.com as Liz recommened. Thanks, Liz.

Thanks everybody!!! :bouquet:
Keep breathing.
Keep moving forward.
Be happy.
---Johnny Depp---

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:02 pm

GAO - glad to help! In Canada we have a Ministry of Finance so I missed the General Accounting Office reference - too funny! So many times to Chicago - I've been once and that was only to change flights at O'Hare Airport from Toronto on my way to the land of cheese = Wisconsin. Looking forward to your contributions when we get chatting about the windy city and its place in our story! Good luck with PE! Just a thought - do you suppose another Japanese zone member bought the last copy? I ended up getting the last couple books from amazon.uk guess we are keeping amazon worldwide profitable!!!
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:52 am

Good luck, GAO. I hope you are able to get the book with no problem. That's funny about your screen name, I wonder if DITHOT translates into any other language? :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

California Kat

Unread postby California Kat » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:14 am

I ordered a copy of Public Enemies last week & it is due to arrive in my mailbox this coming week. I cast my vote for Public Enemies. I have already read & enjoyed The Rum Diary.

I have never participated in a book discussion here, but would like to give it a try.

Thanks for taking a poll.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:55 am

Hi, California Kat and welcome to ONBC! :welcome: We look forward to seeing you! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Larkwoodgirl

Unread postby Larkwoodgirl » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:59 pm

I vote for Public Enemies. I will actually have time to read it over the Christmas Holidays. Sorry, I am ready to move on from HST for a bit.
""We shall never cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:17 pm

:wave: Hey Larkwoodgirl. We would love to have you back in on a discussion again.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Moonlight

Unread postby Moonlight » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:56 pm

Okay, my first post on the ONBC. ;-)

I've voted for Public Enemies. I hope I'll get to erad it over the Holidays :please:.

I think we'll get back to TRD anyway pretty soon. :cool:

Charli
"Johnny Depp really is a cutie." - Satchel, lead guitarist in Steel Panther :heart:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:07 pm

Hi, Moonlight! :wave: Congratulations on your first ONBC post! We hope to see many more! :bounce:

Wow! What a ride!

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:32 pm

*sigh*...I'm wishy washy on this one. First off, I was leaning toward TRD because it's short (PE isn't); I've read it (which gives me more hope to actually get a question right when I reread it); and I can't fathom having the time to read a 600 page book between now and February as my life has some roadblocks lately....that said, y'all have made PE sound so interesting, I'd like to dive into something new...so, I'll sit on the fence on this one and wait to be pushed to either side. :)

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:33 pm

Moonlight wrote:Okay, my first post on the ONBC. ;-)

I've voted for Public Enemies. I hope I'll get to erad it over the Holidays :please:.

I think we'll get back to TRD anyway pretty soon. :cool:

Charli

Hi Moonlight, You'll find ONBC just as much fun as your tour on the Pearl. Welcome aboard!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:06 pm

Charlene wrote:I've read it (which gives me more hope to actually get a question right when I reread it)
Does that mean there are "right" answers to our discussion questions? :lol:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:11 pm

fansmom wrote:
Charlene wrote:I've read it (which gives me more hope to actually get a question right when I reread it)
Does that mean there are "right" answers to our discussion questions? :lol:

Now you all know Rule #1 at ONBC... there are no right answers! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:17 pm

Moonlight, I'm looking forward to seeing more of you and California Kat here on ONBC. :welcome: to both of you.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”