What's Up Next at ONBC??

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

What's Up Next at ONBC??

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:25 pm

Come slice yourself a piece of holiday pie at Sweeney's Barbershop :sweeneydemon: as we slash our way through a discussion of Sweeney Todd………….tidbits begin on December 17. In anticipation of the movie we will be reviving the most tasty and tantalizing of our tidbits and possibly adding in some new ingredients to the pie. We will follow that up with a forum for you to sharpen your opinions :sweeneyblue: and discuss the books & plays vs. the movie on opening day in the States.

And to warm up your cold winter nights our next selection will be....

The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson.

We thought it would be fun to rehash this cool Caribbean tale in anticipation of the movie that hopefully :hope: isn’t too far off from filming. Tidbits begin after the New Year, followed by the discussion in February. We hope to see you there! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

DepplySmitten

Unread postby DepplySmitten » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:26 pm

Woohooo!! I love this book! Thanks DITHOT & Liz, should be a fun one!! :yahoo:

Can't wait to read everyones responses! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:02 pm

Thanks, DepplySmitten! We are looking forward to it too. :bounce: I sure hope the movie version gets back on track. :hope:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

DepplySmitten

Unread postby DepplySmitten » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:21 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Thanks, DepplySmitten! We are looking forward to it too. :bounce: I sure hope the movie version gets back on track. :hope:

Me too, very, very soon!!!! :bounce:

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:33 pm

:bounce: :snoopydances: :applause: :thanks!:

Thanks DITHOTbaba and Lizbaba for bringing back Sweeney, :sweeneyrazor: :love: I'll be done with this semester's classes by then and able to take part in the festivities. :cloud9:

Pooh! I won't get to be in on TRD (I read it awhile ago), I'll be back in classes by then...ah well...you can't have everything. ;-)

Live In Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:39 pm

Great choice, ladies, I have just re-read Shantaram (even better second time around, may I say) and was wondering what to read next. I just love this book, there are a couple of absolutely stand out passages that just leave me wasted every time. In fact I shall go and find it right now instead of starting on the Christmas cards. :blush:
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:41 pm

Boo-Radley wrote::bounce: :snoopydances: :applause: :thanks!:

Thanks DITHOTbaba and Lizbaba for bringing back Sweeney, :sweeneyrazor: :love: I'll be done with this semester's classes by then and able to take part in the festivities. :cloud9:

Pooh! I won't get to be in on TRD (I read it awhile ago), I'll be back in classes by then...ah well...you can't have everything. ;-)

Live In Depp
Boo

Boo, it's not such a big book, maybe you could call it relaxation after the long day's study? I really think that you'd love it.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:55 pm

Boo-baba, we'll be looking forward to seeing you for Sweeney! :bounce: Check in if you get a chance for The Rum Diary. Hope your classes are going well! :cool:

Endora, I would love to read Shantaram again. I definitely plan to do it before I see the movie.
(Yes I'm thinking positively!)
:hope:

Wow! What a ride!

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:08 pm

Nothing says 'the holidays' like a singing sociopath! Glad to hear that those of us who missed Sweeney Todd the first time get to join in the conversation the second time! Is there a particular edition of ST that you suggest we read (I'll have to go to amazon.ca and for that matter I'll be ordering The Rum Diary as it'll be easier than trying to get my hands on the one copy our library system has - its one of those that never seems to be 'on the shelf' and sometimes 'never returns')! I am really looking forward to TRD as it was my first introduction to Hunter and I read it during your intitial discussion but didn't post. JD music and reading - what a way to spend the holidays!!!
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:33 pm

Hi, lizbet! Good to see you again! :wave: Yes our own little way to celebrate the holidays! :sweeneydemon: We read the play by George Dibdin Pitt, however there are many other versions out there if you can't find that particular one. I'm glad you will be reading and posting with us for TRD this time around! :bounce:

Wow! What a ride!

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:10 pm

OK, I'm in......my nightstand is still groaning under things I buy and never get to (like Che), but it's sure to welcome back those two thin volumes. I just finished Anita's Gonzo book (not impressed...I think she is a legend in her own mind), but I am quite taken with Steadman's book "Jokes Over"....its been fun "rereading" Hunter's stories (Kentucky Derby, The America Cup) from another viewpoint...and Steadman's got some great old pics in the book. Those two were like peas in a pod...I don't know who was more decadent or depraved.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:14 pm

DepplySmitten, hope you can join us for TRD. Boobaba, Endora is right. TRD is a short book. But even if you can’t join us for TRD, I’m looking forward to seeing you for Sweeney Week. Endora and Charlene, glad you will be joining us for TRD.

Lizbet, nice to see you back here again. Our focus in our last ST discussion was the original play by George Dibdin Pitt.

http://www.amazon.com/Sweeney-Todd-Demon-Barber-Street/dp/1592240097/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196811336&sr=1-5

And as DITHOT pointed out, there are a whole slew of books available now that were not available when we first discussed Sweeney. We were ahead of the game I guess. The others I would recommend in this order are:

The Wheeler and Sondheim version:

http://www.amazon.com/Sweeney-Todd-Applause-Musical-Library/dp/1557830665/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196811336&sr=1-2

The video of the play with Angela Lansbury would be a good idea also. These two are usually available in libraries.

Sweeney Todd: The Real Story of the Demon Barber of Fleet Street by Peter Haining. This one is supposedly available December 15, and you can pre-order it through Amazon. We know a little bit about what’s in this book which will be mentioned in our tidbits.

http://www.amazon.com/Sweeney-Todd-Story-Barber-Street/dp/1861059892/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196811125&sr=1-4

We haven’t read or discussed this one since it won’t be out until Dec. 11. But I thought I’d mention it anyway. I know I won’t have a chance to read it before Dec. 21….

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (Hardcover)
by Mark Salisbury (Author), Tim Burton (Foreword)

http://www.amazon.com/Sweeney-Todd-Demon-Barber-Street/dp/1845767047/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196811870&sr=1-1

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:31 pm

Charlene wrote: I just finished Anita's Gonzo book (not impressed...I think she is a legend in her own mind)
:lol: Ok, I can cross that one off my "must read" list.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:03 am

A little Sweeney for the holidays? I like it! That will be fun to revisit, and I loved reading The Rum Diary. Another great book to discuss! Hope to be around for both those books ~ thanks DITHOT and Liz! :capnjack:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”