ONBC – Over The Next Few Months…..

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

ONBC – Over The Next Few Months…..

Unread postby Liz » Tue May 01, 2007 7:58 pm

We have some exciting things in store for Noodlemantras coming up in the next few months…… :omg:

MAY will bring our long awaited Q&A with Darlene Cates :bounce: beginning May 7, posting one Q&A per day through May 17, when we will take a break due to activities surrounding the premiere of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End. :bounce: Darlene’s Q&A will pick up again on May 23.

Also on May 7 keep a sharp eye for May’s Monday Night Thread. :disco:

In JUNE we will begin tidbits on our next book selection……. :noodlemantra:

THE BOMB IN MY GARDEN, co-written by Dr. Mahdi Obeidi and journalist Kurt Pitzer.

TBIMG is a memoir of Dr. Obeidi, who until his escape from Iraq in 2003, had been the architect of Saddam Hussein's covert program to enrich uranium for a nuclear weapon.

In an article in Variety, March 11, 2005, it was said that Johnny joined forces with Initial Entertainment Group to option the book. As of this writing, Robert Edwards is to write the screenplay.

Tidbits will begin
June 11, with the discussion beginning July 9.
:reader:

DITHOT and I hope to see you there.... :ONBC:

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue May 01, 2007 10:21 pm

Thats great. I was wondering what book would be next. It's one I haven't read so I just put it on hold at the library. It looks very interesting and I am anxious to read it since it is so relevant to where our country is today. I am also looking forward to the Q&A with Darlene. With AWE coming we will have a very interesting month. :bounce:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Linda Lee

Unread postby Linda Lee » Tue May 01, 2007 10:53 pm

It sounds good. I agree with gemini it will be interesting reading.
We're going to have an interesting few months. Looking forward to the Monday Night Thread and to the Q&A with Darlene Cates.

It's hard to believe AWE is almost here! :potclogo:
:snoopydances:
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace within the storm. ~ Unknown

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed May 02, 2007 1:55 am

I was also wondering what book would be next. this one though doesn't interest me so I will be sitting it out, but will be interested in reading the discussion. :cool:

San

Unread postby San » Wed May 02, 2007 6:42 am

I'm looking forward to the Q&A with Darlene Cates.
The book sounds interesting but I think it will be difficult to read in English and I don't know if there is already a Dutch translation. This book must give a great discussion.
Art has to be forgotten: Beauty must be realised ~ ~ Piet Mondriaan (1872 -1944)

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed May 02, 2007 6:45 am

This doesn't sound like my kind of book, but I have read many books here at ONBC that were out of my normal circle of choice, and the majority have turned out to be a good experience. So I will give this one a try as well.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 02, 2007 8:35 am

Me too, nebrasaka. I have been surprised more than once by an ONBC book! The reviews I have read of this one say it is quite a page turner so I'm looking forward to it! Here's one from Amazon:

From Publishers Weekly
This compact and absorbing book reads like a thriller and adds considerably to our knowledge of the Iraq WMD situation. Obeidi was a trained engineer in the Iraqi oil industry, but his brilliant record led to his transfer to the nuclear weapons program. After the bombing of Iraq's Osirak reactor by Israel in 1981, he spearheaded the search for a working centrifuge as the best method of enriching fissionable material for a bomb. That work also involved him in a number of situations worthy of James Bond, as he sought classified knowledge and key components all over the world, under surveillance from both Saddam Hussein (and Saddam's son-in-law, the vividly portrayed Hussein Kamel) and foreign intelligence agencies. The author finally buried most of the relevant data, drawings and sample components in his backyard and turned them over to Coalition forces before emigrating to the United States. Pitzer was embedded for U.S. News & World Report with the army's 3rd Infantry, but left them as Baghdad fell, met Obeidi and played a role in the transfer of the documents. Together, they have produced an eloquent tale of a scientist who spent 20 years in a "damned if I do and damned if I don't situation" and survived with family and sanity intact.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 02, 2007 9:36 am

It's not the type of book I usually gravitate towards either. However, it is interesting, and I know we will all learn a lot. I also think it will generate some good discussion.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Wed May 02, 2007 11:26 am

Liz, I think a lot of us are feeling like that about TBIMG, but past experience means that it'll be worth giving it a try. It certainly isn't something I'd normally pick up, so it'll do me good to force myself to broaden my tastes.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 02, 2007 11:46 am

If Johnny found it interesting enough to option for IN then that's a pretty good endorsement!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 02, 2007 11:53 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:If Johnny found it interesting enough to option for IN then that's a pretty good endorsement!

I would say so. :thumbsup: And as the case with Nebraska, Johnny has exposed me to books I never would have read otherwise. And I can’t say that I regret reading any of them. Each one has enriched my life in one way or another.

HeidiGrant40

Unread postby HeidiGrant40 » Wed May 02, 2007 12:31 pm

Thanks for posting this information, I've been checking in every day to see what was next. I'm also looking forward to reading what Darlene Cates has to say to us. So please forgive me for not joining in on this next one. I know that Johnny liked this enough to buy it for his company but I just can't read anything about that man.

I look forward to what you two decide on next.

ThirdArm

Unread postby ThirdArm » Wed May 02, 2007 12:40 pm

Sounds like a great and also unusual choice. I think I'll be reading this one. Also, I'm looking forward to the interview with Darlene Cates. She was one of my favorite characters in the movie.
~No doubt the years have changed me.~

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Wed May 02, 2007 4:40 pm

This book didn't seem too appealing to me either, but I just keep telling myself to remember why I first read Shantaram, which is now on my favorites list! I never would have heard of the book if not for Johnny and ONBC. So I'm giving this one a shot, too.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Thu May 03, 2007 1:33 pm

It will be difficult to keep current politics out of the discussion.

For example, visualize me mowing my lawn earlier this week while listening to George Tenet, former head of the CIA, talking on NPR about the lead-up to the current war in Iraq and me saying (out loud, no less, with no one but the lawn mower to hear me) "You liar!" because what he's claiming directly contradicts TBIMG.

This'll be interesting. :eyebrow:

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”