ONBC – Over The Next Few Months…..

Moderator: Liz

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Thu May 03, 2007 2:08 pm

I read this book right after we heard about Johnny's involvement. It did read like a thriller. It was quite good and shows you how little pieces of information, gathered here and there, can all be put together for evil. It gives you an inside look of how Sadam and his sons operated, and how stupid some countries and people could be...either for the love of money, or just because they didn't see the ruse behind a request for parts/info. It talks about the gut wrenching time the author had in trying to do the right thing, to get the information to the right people, but needing to protect his family. I think what stuck with me was how incredibly stupid we were to think the scientists involved would spill their guts to us, even if they hated Sadam, knowing that their families and extended families would suffer the consequences.

Don't back off from the book..it is a good read. Being from VA, I was especially intrigued to read that the "greater than thou" school of the University of VA (extremely hard to get into), played a part (a professor really) in selling some info.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu May 03, 2007 4:44 pm

:eyebrow: This could be quite the challenge for me and DITHOT. :baby: :lol:

Thanks for sharing your opinion on the book, Charlene. If anyone else has read it, please share your opinion. I'm not very far into the book yet, so I don't really have one yet.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu May 03, 2007 5:19 pm

Liz wrote::eyebrow: This could be quite the challenge for me and DITHOT. :baby: :lol:

It may be a challenge for all of us, Liz. I think we will all need to express our own thoughts/opinions honestly and honor the thoughts/opinions of the rest of the Noodlemantras even when we are at totally and passionately opposite ends of the spectrum. I hope we will be up for that challenge.

I do feel better about the book after reading a bit more about it. At least it doesn't sound like it will be boring!

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Thu May 03, 2007 6:01 pm

nebraska wrote:
Liz wrote::eyebrow: This could be quite the challenge for me and DITHOT. :baby: :lol:

It may be a challenge for all of us, Liz. I think we will all need to express our own thoughts/opinions honestly and honor the thoughts/opinions of the rest of the Noodlemantras even when we are at totally and passionately opposite ends of the spectrum. I hope we will be up for that challenge.

I do feel better about the book after reading a bit more about it. At least it doesn't sound like it will be boring!

I'm not really sure what opposite ends we could be at. It isn't political...it's about pure evil. It's not really about did they have it, or did they not have it, they were incredibly close...it's about the evil one man and two sons and their cronies could do to a people, and how they went about doing it, buying bits and pieces here and there, and torturing their workers to achieve things on a time schedule. It's about one man trying to keep his family alive.

I learned that he had actually received a large part of his schooling at Colorado's Bureau of Land and Mines...I actually drove by this college last summer when I was in CO at a wedding (I had just finished the book, so that was cool).

It's interesting to me because we can read it and go "hey, I remember reading about that in the paper".

Again, I think y'all think this book is something it is not. It is not really a history of how the US and Iraq got to the war. It is the author's story of what his life was like leading up to the war and the incredible stress he was under to achieve. He really wasn't given a choice in life as to what he wanted to do or how he used his skills or what job he took. You did what they told you to do.
Last edited by Charlene on Thu May 03, 2007 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu May 03, 2007 6:35 pm

Charlene wrote:
nebraska wrote:

I'm not really sure what opposite ends we could be at. It isn't political...it's about pure evil. It's not really about did they have it, or did they not have it, they were incredibly close...it's about the evil one man and two sons and their cronies could do to a people, and how they went about doing it, buying bits and pieces here and there, and torturing their workers to achieve things on a time schedule. It's about one man trying to keep his family alive.

I learned that he had actually received a large part of his schooling at Colorado's Bureau of Land and Mines...I actually drove by this college last summer when I was in CO at a wedding (I had just finished the book, so that was cool).

It's interesting to me because we can read it and go "hey, I remember reading about that in the paper". But I think the most frightening thing you will be left with is the fact that the author got out...other scientists did not...they were/are starving...how do you think they will put food on their tables? They have been/will be snapped up by whatever country offers them the best deal...they have the knowledge...maybe not all of the knowledge, but enough to get another country off the ground.

Again, I think y'all think this book is something it is not. It is not really a history of how the US and Iraq got to the war. It is the author's story of what his life was like leading up to the war and the incredible stress he was under to achieve. He really wasn't given a choice in life as to what he wanted to do or how he used his skills or what job he took. You did what they told you to do.

It does sound different. I will be honest and say that I will read it mainly because Johnny took an interest in it, and I trust him enough to think there must be something there worth reading.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Thu May 03, 2007 6:44 pm

Now it has set me to wondering if he plans to star in this movie...I could see it...sort of a Donnie Brascoe look with an Iraq accent. He loves a challenge.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Thu May 03, 2007 7:07 pm

Thanks so much, Charlene, for letting us know that there's a fascinating personal side to this story and that it doesn't take a strong political slant. I'm still not sure I'll be a very astute reader of this subject matter, but you give me hope that I'll get something from it. I'm another one who's grateful to Johnny and our mods for getting me out of my comfort zone once in awhile. :cool: :thanks:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu May 03, 2007 9:19 pm

Thanks Charlene for sharing your thoughts on the book. One thing about our disucssions is that we have always been respectful of others points of view and we are open to new ways of seeing things. That is just one of the things that makes ONBC such a great forum for discussion. There have been a few ONBC books that I have been a little leery about but I never fail to end up appreciating them and learning something.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”