New Year News at ONBC

Moderator: Liz

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:37 pm

Nice artwork ladies!

And the slight delay will let me start a re-read, which I'm going to need.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Baxendale Guitar

Unread postby Baxendale Guitar » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:33 pm

Liz Great Job on that cover.
Love it!

I need to go to the library and get it.
I wish I had an extra 24 hours in my day so that I could sit and read. I need to finnish my other book first though.
Looking forward to the chats...
Have a Great Day eveyone!
~ “There's nothing - you know - nothing else like music. Nothing that touches us on that, uh, that deep level. Music can open up so many emotions that we didn't know we had. Music touches us, emotionally, where words alone can't.” JohnnyDepp~

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:11 pm

Baxendale Guitar wrote:Liz Great Job on that cover.
Love it!

I need to go to the library and get it.
I wish I had an extra 24 hours in my day so that I could sit and read. I need to finnish my other book first though.
Looking forward to the chats...
Have a Great Day eveyone!

Baxendle, I hope you will be able to join us! Feel free to jump in at any point during the discussion even if you don't make the first questions. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Amaranth

Unread postby Amaranth » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:18 am

I already spoiled it for myself by reading all the reviews before the book itself. I love Johnny and all, but I've just got to hear other opinions before I read any book :eyebrow:

But I've already read it three times, so I'm all set xD Hey, it's holidays until March for me; I've got a lot of free time.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:35 am

It promises to be an interesting discussion, Amaranth! Glad you will be joining us! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:15 am

I’m glad to see that so many of you will be returning for another discussion. :bounce: And :welcome: to our new Noodlemantra’s, Amaranth, Angelina and Baxendale Guitar, who I look forward to seeing in the discussion.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Charlene

Unread postby Charlene » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:43 pm

Amaranth wrote:I already spoiled it for myself by reading all the reviews before the book itself. I love Johnny and all, but I've just got to hear other opinions before I read any book :eyebrow:

But I've already read it three times, so I'm all set xD Hey, it's holidays until March for me; I've got a lot of free time.

Three times? I can relate. I'm coming to the end of my first reading, and it seems like all I've done if flip back and forth. I'm saying to myself....why the heck didn't I pick up on that? Yes, a 2nd reading is most definitely in order for me to even begin to remember the ins and outs of this book.

Amaranth

Unread postby Amaranth » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:11 pm

Thanks for the welcome :kiss:

Charlene, I was such an idiot the first time round. I had to actually flip back just to remind myself who Balashov was :dunce: But the second time through, I realised just how many obvious clues had been planted in there and just how many clues I had ignored! But I'm still a bit puzzled over some things.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:58 pm

Amaranth, I'm still puzzled over a few things too. I hope our discussion will answer all of our questions!

Wow! What a ride!

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:15 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Amaranth, I'm still puzzled over a few things too. I hope our discussion will answer all of our questions!

uh oh sounds like another brain twister. That Johnny likes some strange books I must say. I am ify on this one already. It hasnt grabbed me yet but now that the holidays are done maybe I can settle in to it.
Everything is always okay in the end,
if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:22 pm

V, several readers have mentioned they felt the story picks up about half way through.

Wow! What a ride!

Veronica

Unread postby Veronica » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:41 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:V, several readers have mentioned they felt the story picks up about half way through.

eeeek half way! :yikes: Not sure Ill make it if it takes that long to grab me. Onward Forward!
Everything is always okay in the end,

if it's not, then it's not the end.

Today is a gift....Have Fun!

Glendaleigh

Unread postby Glendaleigh » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:10 pm

I'm determined to read along, real time, this time. That said, I've just ordered the book today.

The tidbits wil get me going, though, and the weather will give me many opportunities to read.

I've never liked to highlight in my books, but I just may have to with this book. :-?

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:46 pm

Hi ladies :ONBC: I cant wait to start the discussion on this one. I think it will be great.

After seeing how into depth we get in our discussions I started making myselft a word document as I read. Sort of like taking notes. I list the characters and anything distinctive about them and then I write a little paragraph after I read every one or two chapters.

Its handy because you can change it or update as you discover things and its great to refer back to when we start dissecting. (Notice I said dissecting not discussing) :grin: I also did it because I didn't buy all the books we are discussing and I'll have something to refer back to in case I can't get it again at the library. TPAOL has so many little things to remember I think it will come in handy.

I just finished Inamorata and Gilbert Grape while we were having a little break. I loved them both. :reader:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Amaranth

Unread postby Amaranth » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:43 am

Wow you guys are dedicated to your books! Highlighting? Making notes? *faints* I just read :dunce: Maybe it'd be a good idea though, I'm not completely sure how ONBC works.

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”