Share Your Book Recommendations

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Share Your Book Recommendations

Unread postby Liz » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:22 am

:ONBC: A suggestion was made recently by a Noodlemantra that we have a thread about general book recommendations. DITHOT and I decided that would be a great idea, but that we’d make it a sticky, so that it could be ongoing.

So feel free to post here your recommendations for reading, keeping in mind the guidelines:

It can be any book(s) (not necessarily Johnny related).

You can give a brief synopsis of your reasoning for recommending the book but please keep any discussion to a bare minimum. If you would like to discuss the book further you can always contact the person who recommended it via a private message.

We’re looking forward to your recommendations.
:reader:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:39 pm

How cool! Excellent idea! I'm always on the lookout for recommendations, and frequently willing to give them.

I'm currently reading "A Spot of Bother" by Mark Haddon, who wrote "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time." "Spot" reminds me of Nick Hornby, so those of you who enjoyed reading him for the ONBC might want to check it out. (Ok, I'm not reading it at the moment, I'm eating lunch at work and reading the ONBC, but I'm worried about what the characters are up to while I'm not reading, and that's always a sign that a book has me hooked.)

The best book I've read in the past few months was "The Meaning of Night: A Confession" by Michael Cox. It's historical fiction, with a murderer as the main character, and is set in London in the mid-1800's. (I would love to see Johnny play the lead role instead of doing Sweeney Todd, but what do I know?)

After reading today's tidbit about the Chateau and its maze, I have to say that "The Labyrinth" by Kate Mosse (not Johnny's Kate Moss) is a complete waste of time.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:59 pm

fansmom, thanks for starting us off! This is a great example of what we are looking for! :cool: I love your comment about being "worried about what the characters are up to while I'm not reading". You know you are hooked on a book when that happens! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:29 pm

fansmom, I enjoyed Labyrinth as a light holiday read. I'm glad you liked the Haddon, I read Dog in the Night-time and enjoyed it but haven't tried the next one.

A recent read for me was Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, a very clever interpaly of six stories from different time periods, all written in the right style for the times. One of those books that take you a long time to read the first half then the last bit takes no time at all.

And in the run up to Christmas, every year for years I have read The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gaarder which tells the story of a journey back to Bethlehem for a little girl who chases a lamb backwards through time and across Europe in a story revealed as the doors of a magic advent calender are opened.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:58 pm

The Time Traveller's wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I've borrowed a synopsis because its complicated
Henry DeTamble is a time traveler, although not by choice. A genetic mutation causes him to spontaneously travel through time, disappearing from view, leaving behind his clothes and possessions, and arriving naked in another time and another place. For the most part, this is a curse. Henry often has to turn to petty crime to feed and clothe himself when he travels, and must run from people, thugs, or the police. Eventually Henry returns to his present time, bringing only the bodily injuries he's suffered back with him. Sometimes he travels back in time and visits an earlier version of himself. One of the places to which he travels often is the meadow behind Clare's house, and throughout her younger years, Clare meets him there and falls in love with him.
When I first read it I hadn't realised the films rights to the book had already been bought up by Plan B, Brad Pitt and at the time Jennifer Aniston's company, but I had thought Johnny would have been great in the lead part. Its an intriguing if at times odd and confusing sometimes quite difficult to get your head round.

I've just finished reading The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler. This was quite a light read but enjoyable . Each of the characters who meet each month to discuss one of Jane Austen's books is sort of living a modern day version of it without knowing it, though I was hard pressed to see the connections.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:58 pm

I think an ongoing thread with book recommendations is a fantastic idea!! :cool:

fansmom wrote:The best book I've read in the past few months was "The Meaning of Night: A Confession" by Michael Cox. It's historical fiction, with a murderer as the main character, and is set in London in the mid-1800's. (I would love to see Johnny play the lead role instead of doing Sweeney Todd, but what do I know?)

I am reading "The Meaning of Night" right now and have to agree with you fansmom. I can really see Johnny in the main role! It's a very compelling book. I'm enjoying it very much.

I read a book called The Thirteenth Tale a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it. It's a mystery by Diane Setterfield that has a touch of ghost story/supernatural in it.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

stipje

Unread postby stipje » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:08 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:"..."

Sounds interesting. Is she a well-known writer? If so, our library might have it...
*If I didn't spend all of my money on Johnny Depp, I'd be driving a Mercedes..

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:13 pm

stipje wrote:

Sounds interesting. Is she a well-known writer? If so, our library might have it...

which one? I think both should be easy to find

stipje

Unread postby stipje » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:24 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
stipje wrote:

which one? I think both should be easy to find

I wasn't very clear now was I? :grin:

I meant the first one :cool: Will have to fit in a trip to the library then :-)
*If I didn't spend all of my money on Johnny Depp, I'd be driving a Mercedes..

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:30 pm

I would also recommend The Time Traveler's Wife. It was a great book and I can definitely see Johnny in the role, GG!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:33 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:The Time Traveller's wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

Oh, that's a book I would highly recommend, GG.

It was first mentioned here in one of the Sunday night threads -- I think DITHOT mentioned it, and I bought and read it right away. It took me a chapter or two to really get into it, but then I couldn't put it down.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:36 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I would also recommend The Time Traveler's Wife. It was a great book and I can definitely see Johnny in the role, GG!

I guess it WAS you who recommended the book, DITHOT! :lol:

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:43 pm

Another book I would highly recommend is The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Again recommended by someone here on the Zone, it's a book I just couldn't put down. Even though it's longer than Shantaram, I wasn't ready for it to end.

I'll steal GG's idea of a borrowed synopsis, from Barnes&Noble --

Set in 12th-century England, the narrative concerns the building of a cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge. The ambitions of three men merge, conflict and collide through four decades during which social and political upheaval and the internal politics of the church affect the progress of the cathedral and the fortunes of the protagonists.

The insightful portrayals of an idealistic master builder, a pious, dogmatic but compassionate prior and an unscrupulous, ruthless bishop are balanced by those of a trio of independent, resourceful women (one of them quite loathesome) who can stand on their own as memorable characters in any genre.

Beginning with a mystery that casts its shadow on ensuing events, the narrative is a seesaw of tension in which circumstances change with shocking but true-to-life unpredictability.

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:00 pm

theresa wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I would also recommend The Time Traveler's Wife. It was a great book and I can definitely see Johnny in the role, GG!

I guess it WAS you who recommended the book, DITHOT! :lol:

I don't remember who originally recommended that book, but I have to throw in my :twocents:. It was a great book. A bit confusing at times with all the time travel, but a book I was sorry to see end.
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:12 pm

Thanks for making this a sticky :bounce: I can now come back to this again and again to get more book ideas.

I can recommend a talking book, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I know it is an older book but now that it is on cd, well I tell ya the most boring drive will be to short! The library just called to tell me the 2nd book in the series is waiting for me also..... :cloud9:

Oh it is about a nurse in the 1940's that gets sent back to 18th century Scotland.
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”