Share Your Book Recommendations

Moderator: Liz

KikiTank

Re: Share Your Book Recommendations

Unread postby KikiTank » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:54 pm

fansmom wrote:I just finished Alice I Have Been, a novel based on the life of Alice Liddell.

I really enjoyed it, although parts of it were heartbreaking. The author says in an afterward that she took a few liberties with the chronology, but the book is very readable and gives a good peek into the society and times of Alice's life.

I also read this novel, I really like it :goodvibes:
It's so realistic and well-write.
"Then talk not of incostancy,/False hearts, and broken vows;/If I, by miracle, can be/This live-long minute true to thee,/This all that heav'n allows" John Wilmot
Necklace
15/12/2010 Johnny IN ROME

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:18 pm

A couple of years ago I recommended Deborah Crombie's mysteries on this thread, so of course in her latest book, I read this, "'Dad said we had to watch something Toby liked, so it's Pirates again.' Johnny Depp swaggered across the screen, gold tooth glinting…"

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:47 pm

Why am I not surprised? :bigwink:

Actually, if the truth be told, I get a thrill from such TZ moments (even if they don't surprise me). So keep sharing them. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 am

This is NOT a book recommendation. But I don't know quite where to put this.

I am sure I am not the first person to realize this, then go looking and come back satisfied and ready for more. What? Your archives, your book archives. I never read Shantaram and for some reason, who knows, I remembered that recently and decided that I would. And I figured you would have, and there would be long assortment of tidbits to nibble on, and questions to ask myself as I read, and to pore over and wonder: what would I say? So it is fun and a great way to expand one's enjoyment of a book. (For me I am wandering around a long still table and you are all still there, sitting and chatting about the book, only we are in different time warps -- you in the past, me in the future.)
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:16 am

fireflydances wrote:This is NOT a book recommendation. But I don't know quite where to put this.

I am sure I am not the first person to realize this, then go looking and come back satisfied and ready for more. What? Your archives, your book archives. I never read Shantaram and for some reason, who knows, I remembered that recently and decided that I would. And I figured you would have, and there would be long assortment of tidbits to nibble on, and questions to ask myself as I read, and to pore over and wonder: what would I say? So it is fun and a great way to expand one's enjoyment of a book. (For me I am wandering around a long still table and you are all still there, sitting and chatting about the book, only we are in different time warps -- you in the past, me in the future.)

Parallel Worlds perhaps? :fear:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:20 am

I just finished reading 2666, the book Johnny was seen with in Hawaii, and I have to say Johnny sure knows how to pick them! It is made up of 5 stand- alone parts that intersect in very clever and complex ways. Of course, this is a translation and I don't know how the original would read, but the prose is very lyrical, even when dealing with distasteful subjects. I highly recommend it! :cool:

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:48 am

Oh good. I just ordered 2666]. For some reason, I haven't been able to get too psyched about the deBeauvoir book; maybe this will get me back in the Noodlemantra loop.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:34 am

Good to hear the recommendation on 2666. I bought a copy also but haven't picked it up yet.

Nebraska: parallel worlds hehe :lol:
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:24 pm

Thanks for letting us know, nebraska. :cool: I have been wondering about this one!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

eclectica

Unread postby eclectica » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:21 am

fireflydances wrote:This is NOT a book recommendation. But I don't know quite where to put this.

First off... excellent taste in photos... :-)

What an awesome post.... :harhar: yes I often wander around the still tables in society ... in poetry, theatre, and dance we call them Tableaux ... you see them as stagnant arrangements of energy and look for the transfer of power hoping to understand what the dialogue really is in the scenario

What a great vision you have... am thinking of Carravaggio right now

Thank you :hatsoff: ps. dont bother with Shantaram... just watch Midnight Express if you want to get a feel for what its all about... that guy has an ego a building tall trying to make a bridge from there to here with his lofty vision

You on the other hand may be a genius.... keep posting!!
“May the wind always be on your back and the sun upon your face and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.”

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:58 am

Hi, eclectica and welsome to ONBC! :bigwave: Do you happen to have the picture you mentioned of Johnny and the book in Hawaii?

I believe it was gemini who posted this quote from Simone:

“Well, I just don’t give a damn. It’s my life and I lived it the way I wanted. I’m sorry to disappoint all the feminists, but you can say that it's too bad so many of them live only in theory instead of in real life. It’s very messy in the real world, and maybe they should learn that.”

If you all want to keep discussing Simone that is great! I think we should move it to the discussion board under Simone so we will have it in the archives in the proper place. Thanks!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

eclectica

Unread postby eclectica » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:08 pm

eclectica wrote:Oh joy... people talking with me... discussing even as opposed to talking at me... Ok then... before the computer cuts out and dies ... here's what I think...

Yes hello and I will check into the Simone suite for the depth of my musings on her expressions... and yes I do think that she was not really shallow but dwelled in places which would not ask her to reveal her real challenges and life lessons... Maybe what I am getting at is that she would not rather decimate her environs and emotional moorings at times when she was asking others to believe her most serious texts...

Maybe she was just into pleasantries or something but ultimately I think she lived through harsh times unscathed for very specific reasons... and thus I recommended to myself to give up on the 300 some letters of her passing illusion of thought... Much more to my likings of recommendations are texts that look at the big truth and then parse down to the characters within.

The above quote really does little justice to answer ShadowyD.'s question...

My hope is that people will see formula as natural pattern and then we can come to understand what makes classics and great vision as a part of that which we can share with others... did I get too deep already?? I do that sometimes...

Abstract: If you have ever seen the film 'Being There' and begin to understand the relation of these little beings within the setting of Nature's Grande Scheme which allow those with a good relationship with nature to work out the conflicts in their story, then we can see how a great book can make a good or great film... all opinions of Academy aside... I think many of the best authors and stories never get told while the more popular and accessible writers who make their texts pallet-ready grab the goods of industry all to often... btw... I am an Apokalypto fan for all the right reasons
Last edited by Joni on Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Capitalization
“May the wind always be on your back and the sun upon your face and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.”

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:54 pm

eclectica wrote:

First off... excellent taste in photos... :-)

What an awesome post.... :harhar: yes I often wander around the still tables in society ... in poetry, theatre, and dance we call them Tableaux ... you see them as stagnant arrangements of energy and look for the transfer of power hoping to understand what the dialogue really is in the scenario

What a great vision you have... am thinking of Carravaggio right now

Thank you :hatsoff: ps. dont bother with Shantaram... just watch Midnight Express if you want to get a feel for what its all about... that guy has an ego a building tall trying to make a bridge from there to here with his lofty vision

I have to present an opposing view of Shantaram. It's a book well worth reading....every single word of it. And it's more than well worth bothering. At least give it a try.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:50 pm

I have to agree, theresa. I liked Midnight Express but Shantaram is whole separate animal and definitely worth reading!

Wow! What a ride!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:15 pm

Oh...two cents in. I did read Shantaram this summer, and while I read the tidbits, the questions you all asked and discussed. It is a wonderful book, one of the best!

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”