Share Your Book Recommendations

Moderator: Liz

Buster

Re: Share Your Book Recommendations

Unread postby Buster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:12 am

It well may be out of print - I picked up a hardback first edition at a "Used and Out-of-Print" bookstore. Looks as if the paperback includes it.

I think it would be really interesting for us to read this, particularly since it ties in so nicely with A Moveable Feast. Actually, it would be nice to read the letters de Beauvoir wrote to Algren. I'm going to get a copy of that book somewhere...

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:51 am

Buster, it is definitely something for us to keep under consideration for the future. :cool:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Skarlett

Unread postby Skarlett » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:08 am

Has anybody read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak? It really is incredible. It's set in war time Germany, which is nice because it gives an alternate view on the devestating effects that war can have. The end was really emotional though, I am not normally a crying type of person, but that book had me sobbing by the end. :lol: Plus, I think that Johnny (In his younger days) would have made an excellent Max Vandenburg, as the character reminded me a little bit of Glibert Grape in his mindset. :applause2:
"Did I Say That, Or Just Think It? Was I Talking? ...Did They Hear Me?"

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed May 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Skarlett wrote:Has anybody read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak? It really is incredible. It's set in war time Germany, which is nice because it gives an alternate view on the devestating effects that war can have. The end was really emotional though, I am not normally a crying type of person, but that book had me sobbing by the end. :lol: Plus, I think that Johnny (In his younger days) would have made an excellent Max Vandenburg, as the character reminded me a little bit of Glibert Grape in his mindset. :applause2:
I read it for a book discussion group in January 2009, and I remember that most of us liked it. (Some of us thought that we'd read four or five historical coming-of-age novels in a row but that's irrelevant.)

On another topic, I ran into an unexpected reference to our guy, in Fire and Ice by Anne Stuart. (Yes, a guilty pleasure--fast-paced but formulaic romantic suspense.) Page 102 of the paperback: "And I hate to tell you but you're no Johnny Depp."

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sun May 16, 2010 8:07 pm

I am new here, although I have been at DZ for more than a year, I rarely posted -- so excuse me if I repeat something already suggested before.

Two things:

The Brave by Gregory Mcdonald -- the book is very different from the movie but it is an impressive and unforgettable story. In many ways, it's more positive -- Rafael although innocent is very much in touch with what is important about life and the ending leaves much more to the imagination. That said this is powerful and disturbing story of sacrifice and love of family, and I always wonder if JD found it so stunning a piece of fiction that it propelled him to make his first movie. I also think it makes an excellent companion piece with the movie -- both gain by being seen and read together.

The Man with the Golden Arm by Nelson Algren -- just started this myself. This is the writer that JD would be portraying if the movie "My American Lover" actually comes to fruition. He is quite the writer -- astounding that he isn't read much. (ps little and probably misleading note, so i am reading last night and one of the characters is named --Sparrow--wonder if? nah)
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun May 16, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi fireflydances and welcome to ONBC! :wave: The Brave (book) has been recommended as a companion piece to the movie in different contexts but it is always nice to have another comment from someone who has read it.

I have been doing a bit of research on Algren and I reached the same conclusion you did. Well maybe not the Sparrow part...but I haven't read that particular book yet.
:lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

RavenDesk

Unread postby RavenDesk » Tue May 18, 2010 1:43 am

So, sorry to get a bit off topic but On Stranger Tides is a script or book?

And wow. So many good books to read. Wish I had the money to buy it all.

As for my books recommendations their kind of predictable. :lol: I highly recommend Gone with the Wind and its sequel called Scarlett which was published in the 1990s I believe. And Frankenstein by Mary Shelley which is a great piece of Gothic literature. Very sad but wonderfully written. Both classics, as well as Siddhartha, Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West and Angela's Ashes. I've read Gone with the Wind and Scarlett twice! How, I don't know. Because its that good.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue May 18, 2010 10:26 am

Thanks for the recommendations RavenDesk. Classics never go out of style! Disney bought the rights to the book On Stranger Tides, how much actual resemblance there will be between the book and the movie remains to be seen.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue May 18, 2010 2:58 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Thanks for the recommendations RavenDesk. Classics never go out of style! Disney bought the rights to the book On Stranger Tides, how much actual resemblance there will be between the book and the movie remains to be seen.
I've read the book and from what I've read about the movie, there will not be much resemblance.

From what I hear that might be a good thing?

RavenDesk

Unread postby RavenDesk » Wed May 19, 2010 1:11 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Thanks for the recommendations RavenDesk. Classics never go out of style! Disney bought the rights to the book On Stranger Tides, how much actual resemblance there will be between the book and the movie remains to be seen.

Oh! Now I have to read it. :bigwink:

Still, it'd be interesting to see what the tone and theme of the movie will be. Is that going be read in the ONBC?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 19, 2010 11:30 am

RavenDesk wrote:

Oh! Now I have to read it. :bigwink:

Still, it'd be interesting to see what the tone and theme of the movie will be. Is that going be read in the ONBC?

It is certainly a consideration!

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:52 pm

I just finished Alice I Have Been, a novel based on the life of Alice Liddell.

I really enjoyed it, although parts of it were heartbreaking. The author says in an afterward that she took a few liberties with the chronology, but the book is very readable and gives a good peek into the society and times of Alice's life.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:19 pm

fansmom, thanks for the recommendation. I remember coming across that book in the research for our Alice discussion but haven't had time to read it.

Wow! What a ride!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:20 pm

One of the first books I recommended on this thread was The Meaning of Night, by Michael Cox. I was just contemplating suggesting it for my book-club-that-meets-in-a-bar and was looking at the author's website to see if there was a reader's guide when I came across this--

Who would you like to cast as the central characters if The Meaning of Night was made into a film?

That's a difficult one. I hope very much that a film, or TV adaptation, will eventually be forthcoming, but the casting of the central characters will be crucial. I think I'd prefer to have relatively unknown actors and actresses playing the lead roles of Glyver, Daunt, Miss Carteret, Mr Tredgold, Lord Tansor etc., rather than well-known faces; but that may not be possible. Glyver himself must have a strong physical presence, while Miss Carteret needs someone who can convey a world of meaning in a single look. Not easy. Johnny Depp does a good English accent . . . Hmmm, I wonder.
:harhar:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:07 pm

Mr. Cox has good taste! :cool: How are things these days in the Twilight Zone, fansmom? :hypnotic:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”