Share Your Book Recommendations

Moderator: Liz

fansmom

Re: Share Your Book Recommendations

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:24 am

So has anyone read "On Stranger Tides" yet? I'm in the process and am just blown away by the similarities to the POTC movies. Jack and Elizabeth, pirates and zombies . . .

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:33 am

I have "On Stranger Tides" sitting on my shelf just waiting for me to start reading. I am about 2/3 through Shantaram - maybe I should put it down for a bit and dive into the Tide!! You have peaked my interest fansmom!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:48 pm

fansmom, I haven't read it yet but have heard from those who have similar tales.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Kate_with_a_K

Unread postby Kate_with_a_K » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:29 pm

fansmom wrote:
Kate_with_a_K wrote:
bluebird wrote:Question: has anyone read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane? Looking for a recommendation or -- at least -- an opinion. ;-)
bluebird

I'll be picking it up at the library next week - it's finally my turn! And I'll let you know when I've finished.
I'm up to #29 on the hold list, but that's better than the #65 I started out at.

Hi bluebird and fansmom. I finished it. I did make the mistake of reading some reviews on amazon.com and put it aside for a few days, but then picked it up again. Big plot twist in the middle, which, while not terribly realistic, imo, didn't detract as much as some of the reviews indicated. I really enjoyed it overall. And a perfect story for this time of year.

Hope you enjoy it too!

Kate
"I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers." - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Not sure where this goes or if it has been posted on the Zone before. Move if not in right place.

Just checked Amazon and Danny Depps book, Babylon Nights is scheduled for release Aug 3, 2010 and is available for pre-order.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:16 am

shadowydog wrote:Not sure where this goes or if it has been posted on the Zone before. Move if not in right place.

Just checked Amazon and Danny Depps book, Babylon Nights is scheduled for release Aug 3, 2010 and is available for pre-order.

Thanks for the headsup shadowdog. I like to order my books in groups to get the free ship so its good to know whats available.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:51 am

gemini wrote:
shadowydog wrote:Not sure where this goes or if it has been posted on the Zone before. Move if not in right place.

Thanks for the headsup shadowdog. I like to order my books in groups to get the free ship so its good to know whats available.

Wow! I've been wondering about that one. Thanks, Shadowy Dog for the heads up. I guess y'all know what will be on the calendar for next September (or October).
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:53 pm

Johnny and Vanessa together in American Dream.

Just wondering if I missed it or has anyone mentioned talk of Johnny and Vanessa doing the film American Dream about Simone de Beauvoir and her affair with Nelson Algren. Here is a link.

From what little I have read, it seems that Johnny will play Algren, She had an affair with Algren but her lifelong partner seems to be Jean Paul Sartre. She was buried next to him at her death. She was famous for many affairs and an open relationship.

I don't know if we could choose a book to read as I don't see one with the film name but there are certainly many by Simone de Beauvoir.

I would be willing to bet Johnny has read a few of them or they would not
have considered the film.

I didn't see this in News and Views so thought I would mention it in hopes that it provides more reading material for ONBC.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Kate_with_a_K

Unread postby Kate_with_a_K » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:48 pm

gemini wrote:Johnny and Vanessa together in American Dream.

Just wondering if I missed it or has anyone mentioned talk of Johnny and Vanessa doing the film American Dream about Simone de Beauvoir and her affair with Nelson Algren. Here is a link.

From what little I have read, it seems that Johnny will play Algren, She had an affair with Algren but her lifelong partner seems to be Jean Paul Sartre. She was buried next to him at her death. She was famous for many affairs and an open relationship.

I don't know if we could choose a book to read as I don't see one with the film name but there are certainly many by Simone de Beauvoir.

I would be willing to bet Johnny has read a few of them or they would not
have considered the film.

I didn't see this in News and Views so thought I would mention it in hopes that it provides more reading material for ONBC.

I think it may have been discussed on the Zone, but on the MT. I also saw something on Yahoo! the other day. I remember reading about Simone de Beauvoir and her American lover fairly recently, but I've checked the Boston Globe - the mostly likely place for me to have seen it - and couldn't find anything except for an article about Johnny and Vanessa actually doing the movie. I think it sounds like a great idea for ONBC though. (and hopefully not as heavy and hard to carry around as Alice! :lol: )
"I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers." - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:56 pm

The first mention of a movie with Johnny and Vanessa was posted on the Zone last week by emma, in an interview from a Berlin article. The movie title mentioned there wasn't American Dream, but My American Lover.

You can find the three-page discussion of it here on the News board:

Oh, by the way--from the Press Association: My American Lover is thought to be based on de Beauvoir's book A Transatlantic Love Affair: Letters To Nelson Algren, a collection of correspondences she sent Algren in the late 1940s. The letters focus on their transatlantic affair and their travels together through Latin America in 1949.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks, Theresa. I was just about to put up the same thing in reference to the book! :highfive: It looks like something ONBC would definitely consider so we will see what develops with this! :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:21 pm

Yeah, me too. :mwahaha:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:34 pm

Theresa wrote:The first mention of a movie with Johnny and Vanessa was posted on the Zone last week by emma, in an interview from a Berlin article. The movie title mentioned there wasn't American Dream, but My American Lover.

You can find the three-page discussion of it here on the News board:

Oh, by the way--from the Press Association: My American Lover is thought to be based on de Beauvoir's book A Transatlantic Love Affair: Letters To Nelson Algren, a collection of correspondences she sent Algren in the late 1940s. The letters focus on their transatlantic affair and their travels together through Latin America in 1949.

The title My American Lover seems to make a lot more sense than American Dream when reading the plot description. I hope that is what they go with. I also hope there is something for us to read to coincide with it.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:13 pm

I just finished reading Notes from a Sea Diary: Hemingway All the Way by Nelson Algren.

If you like the Beat style of writing and want a refreshing perspective on Hemingway, this is the book to find.

I'd love to discuss it with you guys...(If Johnny hasn't read it, he should!)

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Buster, it looks like this one is a combo of Sea Diary and another book:

Seems Sea Diary might be out of print. Am I understanding that correctly? It looks like it/they would be a really good read.

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”