Share Your Book Recommendations

Moderator: Liz

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Re: Share Your Book Recommendations

Unread postby Joni » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:04 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Thank you, Joni! I have had this book recommended to me by a few people with equally wonderful things to say. Wasn't this also made into a movie?

Yes, it's a wonderful movie with Anne Bancroft as Helene Hanff and Anthony Hopkins as Frank Doel. I saw the movie first and then bought the book.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:15 pm

And they were equally good? You know how that goes sometimes!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Joni
JDZ Global Moderator

Unread postby Joni » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:39 pm

It was a long time ago that I saw the movie, so I'm a bit fuzzy about details, but I enjoyed it enough to seek out the book. I tend to prefer books anyway.

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:01 pm

Hello ladies - not sure if this is the right place to mention this but DITHOT or Liz will make sure things are kosher so here goes - over at audible.com right now SHANTARAM is on sale for $4.95 (oh yes - that's an audible version of G.D. Roberts epic) - not sure if its ever going to make it to the screen but for those of you who like to add it to your Depp related reading / listening collection its a bargain - I know its not currently on the ONBC radar and we're all thinking :rango2: but for five dollars its worth a trip over to audible (sale until March 15th) even with :rango1: opening tomorrow and everyone's extra pennies dedicated to movie tickets - FYI - lizbet
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi, lizbet! :wave: Nice to see you here!

Yes, great place to post the information on Shantaram and great information it is! $5 is great deal!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

bluebird

Unread postby bluebird » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:57 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:Hi, lizbet! :wave: Nice to see you here!

Yes, great place to post the information on Shantaram and great information it is! $5 is great deal!

Yep! It is a great deal! Thanks, lizbet! I got it... listened to a sample and love the Australian accent of the reader! :-)
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”