ONBC Calendar ~ Revised January 22

Moderator: Liz

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:33 pm

the mailman (or ladyl) just handed me a package - :bounce: Happy Days :bounce: it really does look like a harmless little book - thanks for the heads up DITHOT that there might be more than meets the eye :eyebrow: the library has oodles of copies of TPAOL so will get me one of those before splurging on another book this time of year - Happy Days wasn't to be had anywhere except to buy but I was lucky enough to get it basically for the cost of shipping :eyebrow:

Happy Bday Noodlemantras - sorry I'm late to the par - tay :happybday: here's to many more years and many more books :ONBC:
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:06 pm

Endora wrote:
Gilbert's Girl wrote:Has anyone actually read People's Act of Love?, I'm in two minds whether to buy it which I can do so fairly cheaply as its now in paperback or I can get it from the library but have to reserve it.

GG, I read it last month and enjoyed it hugely. It's not the easiest read, lots of narrative and scene setting description and for idiots such as myself who tends to skim read the Russian names had me looking back quite frequently to check which character was which. It took me about 10 days to read, on the long side for me, but I thought the quality of the descriptive writing was very high. To me its a much better read than The Line of Beauty which won the Booker that year.

So I would certainly buy it. I noticed it cheap in Tesco at the weekend.

thanks for that Endora, I'm thinking I might buy it, I feel an order from Amazon coming on as I need to buy some otehr books :lol:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:14 pm

lizbet, glad you got your copy of Happy Days and you will be joining us! :cool: Also good to know TPAOL is readily available at the library. I hope that is generally the case in other locations too.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:39 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote: I hope that is generally the case in other locations too.[/b]

Yes, TPAOL is readily available at my library (which is actually 13 regional ones stuck together). To have books available at the library is important to me. I would not be able to participate if I needed to purchase each one.
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

rainbowsoul

Unread postby rainbowsoul » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:58 pm

I am looking forward to joining you all in the discussion of Happy Days. This will be my first book club participation. And maybe also for People's Act of Love. That looks to be more of an investment of time, something that is always at a premium :lol:

See you all on December 4th!!
:ONBC:
No! Not Barker. That man is dead. It's Todd, now. Sweeney Todd. And he shall have his revenge...

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:39 pm

rainbowsoul we are looking forward to having you join us! :bounce: I understand about the time problems, real life can get in the way sometimes. You can always come back at any time during the discussion and answer any question. Read on! :noodlemantra:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:50 pm

Lizbet, glad to see you back. I'm looking forward to your insights on Happy Days. :bounce:

Rainbowsoul, glad you will be joining us, too. :welcome:

Just a heads up to all of you Noodlemantras, if you can't locate a copy of The People's Act of Love at your library the paperback will be out in January. I'm not sure if that will give you enough time, as I don't know what date in January. GG, is it already in paperback in the UK?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

rainbowsoul

Unread postby rainbowsoul » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:59 pm

It is already available in paperback in Canada - I think it came out last month. Wonder what the delay is in the US? Usually we get books after you do.

Thanks for the welcome!! I am looking forward to being there (here?)
:-?
No! Not Barker. That man is dead. It's Todd, now. Sweeney Todd. And he shall have his revenge...

PhD

Unread postby PhD » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:00 pm

Liz wrote:

Just a heads up to all of you Noodlemantras, if you can't locate a copy of The People's Act of Love at your library the paperback will be out in January. I'm not sure if that will give you enough time, as I don't know what date in January. GG, is it already in paperback in the UK? [/color]

Amazon says January 10 is the release date for the US.
"Because, you know, it seems to me that, I mean, except for being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal"

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:02 pm

PhD wrote:
Liz wrote:

Just a heads up to all of you Noodlemantras, if you can't locate a copy of The People's Act of Love at your library the paperback will be out in January. I'm not sure if that will give you enough time, as I don't know what date in January. GG, is it already in paperback in the UK? [/color]

Thank you PhD. At times, I think I must be going blind. Well, that isn't enough time for me. But I know it would be plenty of time for you speed readers out there.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:40 pm

rainbowsoul wrote:It is already available in paperback in Canada - I think it came out last month. Wonder what the delay is in the US? Usually we get books after you do.

Thanks for the welcome!! I am looking forward to being there (here?)
:-?

I've been getting to know rainbowsoul a little, and since she's knowledgeable about books (much more than I am) I heartily welcome her to ONBC !! :wave: Even though she says not too sure about Russian literature, I think she may have some of her own Tidbit input, and the ONBC tidbits may get her interested enough to pick up that book next! :mwahaha:

I personally am going to read it because Johnny is interested in these books, and they all must have a deep important meaning within, which keeps me reading!

Question:
For Happy days, during our break, should we be reading it with any special thought in mind? or can we just happily stroll our eyes across the pages, oblivious to any specific challenges? :eyebrow:
Last edited by Depputante on Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:44 pm

I'm looking forward to rainbowsoul's contributions! Depputante, just enjoy reading the book and think about themes, etc. You know we only ask easy questions. :grin:

Wow! What a ride!

rainbowsoul

Unread postby rainbowsoul » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:27 pm

Thanks for the kind words, depputante :blush:
You just may be right about The People's Act....I will take another look at it tomorrow :grin:

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:03 am

PhD wrote:
Liz wrote:

Yes, its already out in paperback here, I was surprised too because I think I looked the other day and it was only available in hardback, which is why I thought I'd have to get it from the library then.

Raven

Unread postby Raven » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:08 pm

My copy of Happy Days is on the way!! :bounce:
"In my experience, those who do not like you fall into two categories: the stupid
and the envious."
John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester in The Libertine by Stephen Jeffreys

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”