ONBC Calendar ~ Revised January 22

Moderator: Liz

highhopes

Unread postby highhopes » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:08 pm

Both sound like very interesting books. Hope to jump on board for these.

Happy birthday, noodlemantras!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:28 pm

I have read Happy Days one time through, I think it is going to require a second reading.......not sure I got the point of it all, but I think the discussion is going to be fabulous.

My copy of The People's Act of Love arrived today -- I found an inexpensive copy in excellent condition through Amazon.com new and used dealers. The book looks a little overwhelming at first glance.

Onward, forward........

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:12 pm

nebraska wrote:I have read Happy Days one time through, I think it is going to require a second reading.......not sure I got the point of it all, but I think the discussion is going to be fabulous.

My copy of The People's Act of Love arrived today -- I found an inexpensive copy in excellent condition through Amazon.com new and used dealers. The book looks a little overwhelming at first glance.

Onward, forward........

nebraska, I'm looking forward to the Happy Days discussion. Lot's of big topics in a little book!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nila_admiresmr.depp

Unread postby nila_admiresmr.depp » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:51 pm

On my way to the bookstore for Happy Days tonight. Looking forward to joining in the discussion. :snoopydances:
"With any part you play, there is a certain amount of yourself in it. There has to be; otherwise, it's just not acting. It's lying."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:28 pm

nila_admiresmr.Depp wrote:On my way to the bookstore for Happy Days tonight. Looking forward to joining in the discussion. :snoopydances:

nila, we are happy to have you join us! :bounce:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:54 pm

nila_admiresmr.Depp wrote:On my way to the bookstore for Happy Days tonight. Looking forward to joining in the discussion. :snoopydances:

Welcome! I am sure you will enjoy the discussion!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:15 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:

nila, we are happy to have you join us! :bounce:

Ditto from me. :snoopydances:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:32 am

Has anyone actually read People's Act of Love?, I'm in two minds whether to buy it which I can do so fairly cheaply as its now in paperback or I can get it from the library but have to reserve it.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:04 pm

I just finished reading it a couple weeks ago GG. Not sure why you are asking? I wish I had bought it because it is one of those books that is very deep and I may want to refer back to it when discussing it. Is that what you are asking?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Red Shoes

Unread postby Red Shoes » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:39 pm

Ooh I'm so excited about joining in!

My library doesn't have Happy Days but I've requested an inter-library loan and I've put it on my Wish-list so hopefully hubby will take the hint! If the library doesn't get it before tidbits start I'll just have to go splurge at the book shop, won't I. :-)

Gilbert's Girl - I just have to say I always recommend buying a book if you can. There can never be too many books on hand. There's nothing as satisfying as a full, interesting bookcase. :noodlemantra: :noodlemantra: :noodlemantra:
"It's good to be different."

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:07 pm

Red Shoes, glad you will be joining us. :bounce:

GG, if you are going to get The People's Act of Love at the library, I'd recommend getting it closer to the time of the discussion so that you can have it to refer back to during the discussion. I've heard so many times from people that they read the book but read it too early, had to return it to the library, and then couldn't refer to it during the discussion. Now if it's not a popular book, then you could always return it and then check it out again. It's certainly a cheaper way to go. I personally buy all of my ONBC books, though, so I can make notes in them. I don't do that for my hometown book club, though.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:38 pm

Liz wrote:Red Shoes, glad you will be joining us. :bounce:

GG, I've heard so many times from people that they read the book but read it too early, had to return it to the library, and then couldn't refer to it during the discussion. Now if it's not a popular book, then you could always return it and then check it out again.

You can check it out then immediately renew it. Then you know you have the book for one month, instead of just two weeks.

How long is People's Act of Love?
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

Depputante

Unread postby Depputante » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:40 pm

Depputante wrote: How long is People's Act of Love?

Answering my own question: :blush:
Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: Canongate U.S. (January 9, 2006)
Language: English
ISBN: 1841957305
“The scariest enemy is from within. Allowing yourself to be limited and conform to what you're expected to conform to.”~JD

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:15 am

Depputante wrote:
Liz wrote:Red Shoes, glad you will be joining us. :bounce:

GG, I've heard so many times from people that they read the book but read it too early, had to return it to the library, and then couldn't refer to it during the discussion. Now if it's not a popular book, then you could always return it and then check it out again.

You can check it out then immediately renew it. Then you know you have the book for one month, instead of just two weeks.

How long is People's Act of Love?

We get them for three weeks here, and I can renew it long before it needs to go back online even. Its just I would buy but if I don't like it I might regret buying. Thanks for your thoughts, I will think some more on this :cool:

Endora

Unread postby Endora » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:15 pm

Gilbert's Girl wrote:Has anyone actually read People's Act of Love?, I'm in two minds whether to buy it which I can do so fairly cheaply as its now in paperback or I can get it from the library but have to reserve it.

GG, I read it last month and enjoyed it hugely. It's not the easiest read, lots of narrative and scene setting description and for idiots such as myself who tends to skim read the Russian names had me looking back quite frequently to check which character was which. It took me about 10 days to read, on the long side for me, but I thought the quality of the descriptive writing was very high. To me its a much better read than The Line of Beauty which won the Booker that year.

So I would certainly buy it. I noticed it cheap in Tesco at the weekend.
Work hard, learn well, and make peace with the fact that you'll never be as cool as Johnny Depp. GQ.

Solace in the flood

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”