TA DA!!! The New ONBC Calendar! ~ As of July 1, 2005

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

TA DA!!! The New ONBC Calendar! ~ As of July 1, 2005

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:56 pm

We couldn’t resist another Hunter book. In honor of his memorial in August we felt it was the perfect time to take the savage journey into the heart of the American dream. We hope you will join us for the discussion beginning Tuesday, September 6.

After our trip to Vegas we will be discussing Nick Hornby’s A Long Way Down. As you know, this book has been optioned by Infinitum Nihil. According to Johnny,

"This book is brimming with some of the finest writing, and some of the most outstanding characters I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. The cinematic possibilities are extraordinary. I am thrilled to be involved with such a masterful work.”

The discussion will begin in early November.

So Noodlemantras, here is our calendar for the next several months… Image

July 5 ~ August 1 ~ Discuss I, Fatty

August 2 ~ September 5 ~ Read Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas - Tidbits!

September 6 ~ October 2ish ~ Discuss Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

October 3 ~ October 31 Read A Long Way Down ~ Tidbits!

November 1ish ~ 30 Discuss A Long Way Down

NOTE: This calendar may change or be rearranged at any time to reflect the current events of Johnny Depp. (Or if your moderators get behind and have to change it… :blush: :lol: )
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:07 pm

I almost bought the Hornby book! I bought The Historian instead. It looked so fascinating, looking for Vlad the Impaler! I already have so much on my shelf.... but A Long Way Down will be out in trade paperback by November, I hope. Can't wait for the FALILV discussion! :cool:
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

luvdepp

Unread postby luvdepp » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:10 pm

Great line up DITHOT and Liz!
Looking forward to some great tidbits and discussions! :bounce:
"So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself, who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on the shore and merely existed." ~HST~

deeplyinlovewithdepp

!

Unread postby deeplyinlovewithdepp » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:29 pm

I have to go buy I, Fatty (quickly, quickly!) and then FALILV, but I already have A Long Way Down (and I am very excited to read it).

Excited for the upcoming discussions!
Marla's philosophy was that she could die at any moment. The tragedy was, she said, that she didn't.

cait

Unread postby cait » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:19 pm

I bought A Long Way Down yesterday. I hope to read it during the summer. I've only heard good reviews of it. :cool:
Dirt...this is a jar of dirt.

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:47 am

ALWD is wonderful..looking forward to the ONBC discussions and the ONBC wisdom on this... :cloud9:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:46 pm

Great to get the new calendar, thank you! :cool:

I'm hoping to be able to catch up and join in, I tried earlier this year, but I'm so involved in reading about John Wilmot, I just couldn't fit any more books in. I do have Shantaram and I, Fatty though and will endeavour to go on as many literary journeys as I can!

We have a different cover for the Nick Hornby book here in England, I'm wondering if it will be out in paperback soon as over here hardbacks are quite expensive.
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:59 pm

Jackslady wrote: We have a different cover for the Nick Hornby book here in England, I'm wondering if it will be out in paperback soon as over here hardbacks are quite expensive.

Is it the red and black cover? I don't know how long it usually takes for a book to come out in paperback, anyone else? The discussion won't be until November so maybe by then it will be out.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

deeplyinlovewithdepp

Unread postby deeplyinlovewithdepp » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:08 pm

It takes anywhere from 6 months to a year for a novel to come out in paperback. I didn't have the money to buy Shantaram when it was being discussed here and I was quizzing my sister (four years at an airport bookstore will give you some knowledge) about hardcover to softcover.
Marla's philosophy was that she could die at any moment. The tragedy was, she said, that she didn't.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:12 pm

deeplyinlovewithdepp wrote:It takes anywhere from 6 months to a year for a novel to come out in paperback. I didn't have the money to buy Shantaram when it was being discussed here and I was quizzing my sister (four years at an airport bookstore will give you some knowledge) about hardcover to softcover.

Thanks for the quick answer. I wonder if it depends on the sales while it is in hardback? If it is selling well I would imagine it would take longer to come out in paperback, assuming they make more money off the hardback sales.

Wow! What a ride!

deeplyinlovewithdepp

Unread postby deeplyinlovewithdepp » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:43 pm

I would imagine sales has a lot to do with it, but sometimes hardback and softback dates are set in advance so that those eager to purchase will know when they are being released.
I imagine A Long Way Down will sell quite a few copies.

lizbet

Unread postby lizbet » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:09 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
deeplyinlovewithdepp wrote:It takes anywhere from 6 months to a year for a novel to come out in paperback. I didn't have the money to buy Shantaram when it was being discussed here and I was quizzing my sister (four years at an airport bookstore will give you some knowledge) about hardcover to softcover.

Thanks for the quick answer. I wonder if it depends on the sales while it is in hardback? If it is selling well I would imagine it would take longer to come out in paperback, assuming they make more money off the hardback sales.

as long as a book is still on a major best seller list like The New York Times it remains in hardcover - just been to a bookstore hoping someday soon to get The DaVinci Code in paperback and that was the word about when paperbacks get published -
trying to live in "a profound state of ignorance"

deeplyinlovewithdepp

Unread postby deeplyinlovewithdepp » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:57 pm

Tell me about getting The Davinci Code in paperback. (Although there is a 30% off the hardcover sale going on at Coles right now.)
I'll try and stick with the older books. Buying hardcovers is just too rich for my blood.

Jackslady

Unread postby Jackslady » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:06 pm

Yes, the UK version is the one with the red and black striped hard cover, I looked at it in Borders today! Over here (England), it's retailing at £17.99 which is quite expensive. In my experience in this country it generally takes around a year for a book to make it to paperback, however I can always try and get it from the library or scour discount bookstores. I want to try and get it a bit in advance because I'm not the fastest reader in the world.

I read the first page in the store - it looks good :cool:
"Easy on the goods darlin!"
"Tis not an easy thing to be entirely happy, but to be kind is very easy, and that is the greatest measure of happiness"-John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

*Special thanks to es for help with my lovely avatar*

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:26 pm

Jackslady wrote:Yes, the UK version is the one with the red and black striped hard cover, I looked at it in Borders today! Over here (England), it's retailing at £17.99 which is quite expensive. In my experience in this country it generally takes around a year for a book to make it to paperback, however I can always try and get it from the library or scour discount bookstores. I want to try and get it a bit in advance because I'm not the fastest reader in the world.

I read the first page in the store - it looks good :cool:

I've already read it, not sure if I will be able to remember it by November. I got it from the Library where I had reserved it along with a vast amount of other people he is very, very popular.

Return to “Announcements and Calendars”