Gangemi Q&A #13

Author of INAMORATA

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Gangemi Q&A #13

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:12 am

Many of our readers felt Walter was the most fascinating character in the story. What was your inspiration for his personality?

Gangemi:
Thank you, I'm glad your readers found him fascinating. As for his personality, I drew a little from the "real" Walter as hinted at in the original Scientific American articles: a bit of a prankster, fond of wordplay, etc. This, coupled with the era, led me to thinking of Noel Coward plays, the "Thin Man" movies, and Fitzgerald's debonair playboys… and out of this emerged Walter's voice. Partly this was due to the fact that he's a literary creation dependent solely on dialogue-- I don't "show" him, and his actions are limited to a little dark room. So I knew I had to make the way he spoke very colorful and engaging and dramatic.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:27 pm

I think Mr. Gangemi succeeded admirably at making Walter a dramatic and engaging character. I had forgotten about the "Thin Man" movies - the very epitome of "cool"! And, of course, Gatsby and the like. No wonder I liked Walter so much!
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:22 pm

Bix wrote:I think Mr. Gangemi succeeded admirably at making Walter a dramatic and engaging character. I had forgotten about the "Thin Man" movies - the very epitome of "cool"! And, of course, Gatsby and the like. No wonder I liked Walter so much!

Bix, when I read his answer I had an "aha" moment myself. :cool:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Joseph Gangemi”