Author of INAMORATA

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Gangemi Q&A #11

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:37 am

What meaning, if any, did you want the reader to get from:

• the Noel Coward quote

See earlier response; to my mind it's the core truism of the book, the line that best explains much of the human behavior driving the story.

• Pike

No symbolism in Pike, just my way of taking a real historical figure (the Crandons' Japanese butler) and changing him for my purposes. His name and nationality are borrowed from the father of a Filipina friend-- Pacifico Labajo, who's nickname is Pike. The "real" Pike does not have a wooden leg. Though like his fictional counterpart he was a breach-baby, and in the Filipino culture is believed to be a healer. So to this day he'll have Filipinos show up on his doorstep in New Jersey and ask him to do a laying-on of hands. I can't remember why I chose to give my Pike a peg-leg. Perhaps simply perversity. Or maybe as an homage to the amputee hero of Robertson Davies' amazing Deptford Trilogy, one of my favorite sequences of novels.

• the Emily Dickinson poem

No real reason, except I like Dickinson and find her poems very mysterious and evocative. Also, because in the poem I chose she happens to mention squirrels, and I have an inexplicable affection for the little tree-rats. (I've raised a few orphaned ones from infancy.)

• the squirrels?

(See above)
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Betty Sue

Unread postby Betty Sue » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:24 pm

If Mr. Gangemi read our discussions, he must have gotten a kick out of us overanalyzing everything! :sherlockholmes: He sure kept our minds busy trying to search for clues! :eyebrow:
"I never wanted to be remembered for being a star."

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:50 pm

I agree, Betty Sue -- we looked for clues in everything, which is, I believe, what Mr. Gangemi intended for us to do.

So if Pike didn't have any particular "meaning", then that means the part about the speaking in Tagalong was just a red herring? And the squirrels were just -- squirrels?
:perplexed:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:34 pm

theresa wrote:I agree, Betty Sue -- we looked for clues in everything, which is, I believe, what Mr. Gangemi intended for us to do.

So if Pike didn't have any particular "meaning", then that means the part about the speaking in Tagalong was just a red herring? And the squirrels were just -- squirrels?
:perplexed:

I think the Tagalog was a red herring. I love the bit about the squirrels! Sometimes things are just what they seem I guess! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

lumineuse

Unread postby lumineuse » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:05 pm

Oh, Lord! And the rest of the Zone think the white coats are after them! :rotflmao:
"Oh, good!........ No worries, then."

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:44 pm

That's funny,Betty Sue.We did overanalyse a tad :capnjack: .I always dig for mysteries and miss the obvious... :dunce:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:26 pm

gilly wrote:That's funny,Betty Sue.We did overanalyse a tad :capnjack: .I always dig for mysteries and miss the obvious... :dunce:

Who us? Overanalyze? :biglaugh:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:51 am

So often I just read along and take things as they are written without thinking very deep and for once, maybe I am forgiven for that. I am relieved to see this answer.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:11 am

nebraska wrote:So often I just read along and take things as they are written without thinking very deep and for once, maybe I am forgiven for that. I am relieved to see this answer.

Me too which is why I often find the questions hard to answer :lol:

gilly

Unread postby gilly » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:44 pm

I know all about literal people..I live with 2 of them... :capnjack: Sometimes we have interesting conversations..ME..''What do you really mean by that''?..MY SON ''I mean what I said,aren't you listening?'' :-O :dunce:
Life is beautiful.

I have faith in you.

Return to “Joseph Gangemi”